Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Most of not all tools are private label. Lowes, Sears Walmart Harbor Freight or Snap on don’t make tools. My HF torque wrench and the Snap on I have been told are made in the same factory. They look enough alike that I don’t doubt it. HF sells a floor jack that they claim is the same one Snap on sells for three times as much. They claim it’s made to the exact same specifications of the same materials and made in the same factory as the Snap on.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #22
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
As an ex aircraft mechanic, I don't lose tools. Keeping track of them and out of flight control components was a habit I still live with. HF is OK for disposable or one time use projects. Otherwise I'm still using the same set going on 35 years. The new Rigid electric tools seem indestructible as well. I just want what works over something that may or may not work when you need it most.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:46 PM   #23
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I am a serious tool guy but have to admit to buying some Chinese stuff on occasion when I needed it for a one off project. I am with most of you that HF type stuff is ok for occasional use. Prime example: I was remodeling a bathroom and needed to cut just a couple pieces of tile. Did I buy the $2,000.00 professional wet saw? Heck no I bought the $100.00 one at harbor freight. IF I was a professional tile mason would I buy the expensive one? Heck yes.

On a related note. A long time ago I made the decision to go Ryobi for my cordless tools even though I do not consider them good quality. The reason is simple. Ryobi made the commitment for all their batteries to retrofit all their tools and chargers. So no matter what your tools will never be outdated and you will be able to use new improved battery versions as they become available. I don't know how many sets of tools I trashed over the years because the batteries cost more than a totally new set of tools (or at least a good portion thereof).

Don't get me wrong though. I love the feel of a high quality tool. Nothing like the finish and feel of a Snap on wrench.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:37 PM   #24
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I've had several 1/2 drive battery powered drills. The first one was waaaay back when these were not much more then a toy. The next was s P-C that was s work horse until the clutch blew. A couple low enders that went to the dump after premature battery failures then I went wild and bought a Bosch. Fantastic drill but the batteries are no longer available except as $15 Chinese 'compatibles'. While these batteries areOK, not great but for a year keeps this tool going. I also have a new DeWalt that I bought while waiting a couple 'compatible' batteries for the Bosch. A $200+ buck ho hum drill. Yes. it has power but the variable speed control 'sucks', it's rough running and the 2.0 AH batteries are way too much money and really don't last as long as the clunk NiCD's on the ancient Bosch.

Hand tools - dang but I really love my Snap on, S-K, MAC and early Craftsman but my wallet says that Harbor Freight will outlast me now.
There are shops around that rebuild cordless tool batteries for around half the cost of new. Certainly a viable option for obsolete batteries. Basically they just put new cells in your case.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:44 AM   #25
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
There are shops around that rebuild cordless tool batteries for around half the cost of new. Certainly a viable option for obsolete batteries. Basically they just put new cells in your case.

Correct. I've priced them and the least expensive found was about $45 per battery for a NiCd plus tax and shipping each way, or about $55 each. I also could ebuild them myself as I have a couple times. Unfortunately the quality of the individual replacement sub-C battery cells all all of which are made in that Far Eastern country we often bash, is less then stellar. Even the so-called name brands. This makes the $15-$20 ebay/Amazon knock offs pretty attractive. Then there is the age of that driver. Will it go to battery tool heaven the day the rebuilt batteries arrive?

With all that said, I recently rebatteried a little Ryobi 4.5V screw driver with a purported Samsung battery and it now runs better then it did new.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:37 AM   #26
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Been using Craftsman for many, many years. Never had a bad tool. One time I found a Craftsman screwdriver on the beach all mangled and rusted. Took it to Sears and got a free replacement. Never lost a tool, ever. My roll around and hand tool boxes are shadowed. When I put tools away, it is immediately evident if a tool is missing. Everything has a place and everything is in its place. Anal I guess.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #27
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I have some tools that I have had for more than 40 years that get used regularly. I have others that just disappear.

the disappearing ones, I go good but not best. 10MM socket, I buy them in bulk.

Oh yes, I have home made cheaters bars.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:41 AM   #28
DanandBrenda
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21176
I worked at a Honda dealer for years so I have mostly Snap-on tools but have some Craftsman, Porter cable, Dewalt, Hitachi. I don't like to admit it but a few Harbor freight.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #29
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Correct. I've priced them and the least expensive found was about $45 per battery for a NiCd plus tax and shipping each way, or about $55 each. I also could ebuild them myself as I have a couple times. Unfortunately the quality of the individual replacement sub-C battery cells all all of which are made in that Far Eastern country we often bash, is less then stellar. Even the so-called name brands. This makes the $15-$20 ebay/Amazon knock offs pretty attractive. Then there is the age of that driver. Will it go to battery tool heaven the day the rebuilt batteries arrive?

With all that said, I recently rebatteried a little Ryobi 4.5V screw driver with a purported Samsung battery and it now runs better then it did new.
I will assume like me most of you experienced the more or less throw away cordless tools of yesterday (primarily because of the battery shelf life not the tool. And of course replacement battery costs. As I mentioned above I went Ryobi despite their less than stellar quality based on their commitment to standardizing their batteries across their lineup AND across time.

IF the top end brands make the same commitment (or have already--let me know) then I will revisit buying better quality.

Hands down though Snap on makes the best hand tools on the market if you ask me. You can FEEL the quality. Of course you pay for that quality.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:21 PM   #30
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
I've begun using the Kobalt line of battery operated tools. Seem to be holding up good and am hoping the battery line hangs in.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:32 PM   #31
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Most of not all tools are private label. Lowes, Sears Walmart Harbor Freight or Snap on don’t make tools. My HF torque wrench and the Snap on I have been told are made in the same factory. They look enough alike that I don’t doubt it. HF sells a floor jack that they claim is the same one Snap on sells for three times as much. They claim it’s made to the exact same specifications of the same materials and made in the same factory as the Snap on.
Lynwood
I purchased two torque wrenches from AMZN. A CDI 752MFRMH 3/8" 5-75 ft.lbs and a CDI 2503MFRMH 1/2" 30-250 ft. lbs for use in the 5r. Both look identical to the Snap-On brand but were much less $$. Both came with certificates and testing data in a nice plastic fitted case. Seem to work very well.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:19 PM   #32
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
I purchased two torque wrenches from AMZN. A CDI 752MFRMH 3/8" 5-75 ft.lbs and a CDI 2503MFRMH 1/2" 30-250 ft. lbs for use in the 5r. Both look identical to the Snap-On brand but were much less $$. Both came with certificates and testing data in a nice plastic fitted case. Seem to work very well.
I have the same 30-250lb cdi torque wrench. Maybe it looks like the snap-on on account it is built by snap-on. Great torque wrench. Much better than the craftsman i bought several years ago that was junk. Be sure when storing to dial down the torque wrench to 30lbs so as to just fit in the case as it will stay accurate longer this way.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:15 AM   #33
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
"...I made the decision to go Ryobi for my cordless tools even though I do not consider them good quality. The reason is simple. Ryobi made the commitment for all their batteries to retrofit all their tools and chargers...."

Agree on the Ryobi. not the best, but affordable and do everything asked of them for me as a casual user. If I was pro tradesman... different story. As for hand tools... HF or Menards (even HD or lowes in a pinch) as needed to get a job done... again I'm not a pro... easy to admit, but every project I have worked on has more than met my expectations with the tools I have as long as I take my time and do it right, even marginal quality tools will perform well. I have better things to spend my money on (JMHO). YMMV as they say, if you like Milwaukee, or Snap On etc then by all means get them.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #34
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
mUSt bE spECial

This is your typical knuckle drAgER post. Just because your tools are more expensive dosen`t mean they are better. I paid less for my model camper than you did so that means your model is better because it cost more but dose the same thing and will last longer, right.
I like most people they bought Craftsman tools when they were young and still have most of the them. The ones that broke or failed for what ever reason were replaced for free up to this point anyway. But that feeling you get when holding your special tools in your hand when you bust a knuckle must worth something.
By the way the oil I use is better than yours. Like the commercial of the guy driving down a winding mountain road at speed with a satisfying smile on his face after he did an oil change knowing he used the most expensive oil on the market.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:26 AM   #35
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
While more expensive doesn’t necessarily mean better in the tool market, it usually assures you of a quality tool. Are there tools equal to Snap-on? Sure there are, but Snap-on has built a reputation by offering only the highest quality tools and outstanding customer service. Professional mechanics can’t afford to deal with tools that fail and don’t have time to run around trying to replace them. Snap-on’s weekly fully stocked truck visits and high quality is what has made them famous. You can definitely see the difference in cheap tools, but quality is more than visual. The hardness of the metal and the tolerance’s of the machining is of upmost importance. I have used several different Snap-on tools and each time I pick one up I immediately notice the quality.
All that being said, I only own one Snap-on tool, a large 1/2” drive deep metric socket that I bought in the late seventies for $17 (extremely expensive for that time). Immediately after purchase I had my dad take it to work and turn the outside diameter down about 1/16 or 1/8”. It was to be used One time for a Special project. At that time Sears only offered a few smaller metrics and of course no internet to search for other sources. That socket did the job asked without fail and has been used many times since for normal uses.
I accumulated a pretty substantial set of Craftsman tools during the seventies and have added to them throughout the ensuing years. I have had very few failures and all were replaced without issue. What I have seen with the Craftsman tools that were replaced and the new ones purchased is a decline in quality on some items, particularly the ratchets.
I have also accumulated a substantial amount of Harbor Freight and other inexpensive tools. Earlier in life I looked at each tool purchase with the thought that it would have to last for many years and lots of usage. Now, not so much. I now try to analyze wether the job requires a precision tool or if an ok tool will meet the need. Case in point, recently I needed a quarter inch drive torque wrench to install the rocker arms on an old Porsche engine I was building. I knew that this would be the only time I would ever need this tool. The proper torque on this part is critical and could result in substantial engine damage and many thousands of dollars in repair costs. I researched all of the available torque wrenches on the internet and the only one that I felt I could trust was the snap-on at around $200. 20 years ago I would of went ahead and bought it thinking I may have a future use it, but this time I figured I would be ahead to just take the engine to the shop and let the mechanic use his torque wrench.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:21 PM   #36
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
mUSt bE spECial

Still the same argument to justify the cost of an over priced tool that can not deliver better service or use. I doubt a mechanic is going to loose money, time, work, job because he he when to Sears after work and had a tool replaced, and i know the new mechanic that has generic tools is sneered at on the line for using them, but his knuckles don`t hurt just from walking around. The new $250.00 Earthquake impact wrench which I use is as good and even better because the
$450.00 to $550.00 snap on off the truck will not be replaced or refunded if you change your mind or just don`t like it like the HF.
Still boils down to adequate for any given job.....but some just got to buy the Mercedes to impress themselves or neighbors.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:17 PM   #37
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
I have the same 30-250lb cdi torque wrench. Maybe it looks like the snap-on on account it is built by snap-on. Great torque wrench. Much better than the craftsman i bought several years ago that was junk. Be sure when storing to dial down the torque wrench to 30lbs so as to just fit in the case as it will stay accurate longer this way.
I recall reading that best to reset to near zero to store the unit. May have been on the little instruction sheet. I was not expecting such a quality tool. That's why I sprung for its little brother.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #38
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Have you tried to return a Craftsman tool lately? There are no Sears stores left in Oklahoma. You now have to go to Lowe’s or Ace for Craftsman, and they only carry the more popular tools. Even for the last 20 years or so before Sears closed they only carried the most basic tools, nothing like the selection they had in the earlier years.
A professional mechanic can’t wait a week or more for a replacement. A good Snap-on, Matco, Cornwell, etc. vendor will bring one to you ASAP if it’s an emergency. Worst case scenario, you might have to meet him somewhere on his route.
Absolutely, the average shade tree mechanic doesn’t need a tool of Snap-on’s or the other top professional brands quality in most circumstances, but have a cheap Chinese tool round off a bolt or break in half and cause you to bust your knuckles, or worse yet cause damage to whatever you’re working on, you’ll see regret in that inexpensive purchase.
If I were a professional I would absolutely have the majority of my most used tools be from high quality manufacturers.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #39
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
biGGer is bETter

[QUOTE=Theunz;1191506]Have you tried to return a Craftsman tool lately? There are no Sears stores left in Oklahoma. You now have to go to Lowe’s or Ace for Craftsman, and they only carry the more popular tools. Even for the last 20 years or so before Sears closed they only carried the most basic tools, nothing like the selection they had in the earlier years.
A professional mechanic can’t wait a week or more for a replacement. A good Snap-on, Matco, Cornwell, etc. vendor will bring one to you ASAP if it’s an emergency. Worst case scenario, you might have to meet him somewhere on his route.
Absolutely, the average shade tree mechanic doesn’t need a tool of Snap-on’s or the other top professional brands quality in most circumstances, but have a cheap Chinese tool round off a bolt or break in half and cause you to bust your knuckles, or worse yet cause damage to whatever you’re working on, you’ll see regret in that inexpensive purchase.
If I were a professional I would absolutely have the majority of my most used tools be from high quality manufacturers.[/QUOTE

The Craftsman return policy has changed yes but just another excuse. Lowes will honor the replacements.Your still equating the tools you get when you buy a garden trellis to put together. I`ll say never have I busted a knuckle when using a cheap tool, these are more excuses to justify the purchase to the wife. After using tools to take apart m-M-60 tanks for years we never had " those " tools all where from china or a foreign country. Even with the G........T funds available the procurement office realized it was a complete waste of money to buy them. And we all know how the G.........t likes to waste money.

ADEQUATE...........

[ˈadəkwət]
ADJECTIVE
adequate (adjective)
satisfactory or acceptable in quality or quantity.
"this office is perfectly adequate for my needs" · "adequate resources and funding" · "the law is adequate to deal with the problem"
synonyms:
sufficient · enough · ample · requisite · apposite · appropriate · suitable · acceptable · passable · reasonable · satisfactory · tolerable · fair · fairly good · pretty good · goodish · middle-of-the-road · mediocre · unexceptional · unexceptionable · undistinguished · unremarkable · ordinary · commonplace · indifferent · average · not bad · all right · so-so · minimal · medium · moderate · run-of-the-mill · forgettable · OK · okay · fair-to-middling · nothing to write home about · nothing to shout about · no great shakes · (plain) vanilla · bog-standard · half-pie · cromulent · equal to · up to · capable · of · suited to · suitable for · able to do · qualified for · fit for · good enough for · sufficient for · up to scratch

Adequate: Or in laymens terms that most can understand.. GOOD ENOUGH
Old 07-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #40
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Most of us are not Professionals and don't need top quality tools that will last forever in everyday use. So for our once or twice a year use Harbor Freight tools work just fine.
Same here, plus they have the same warranty as Craftsman....if it breaks, return it and they will give you another one.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote