Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #21
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
Thanks for all of the input. I have new doors on order and will make some adjustments to the tracks both top and bottom. I will replace plastic top clips with metal clips and hope this works. I am still amazed that some units were sold with no bottom track. Seems to be an obvious problem when traveleing. Again thanks for all of the help and information

Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:12 AM   #22
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Don't know if bottom tracks would always keep the doors in place while traveling in closed position or not. We have bottom tracks but I still bungie them open while traveling.

The built in clothing rod (which is fastened with 3/4" screws to the ceiling) buckled and collapsed on one of our first travel days. So after rebuilding that part of the closet and reading about doors falling off I just tried to be proactive.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:23 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never bungied or otherwise supported those doors in our 06 3400 or this 13 3402 both have the bottom tracks and we have never had a problem...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:28 AM   #24
jhudson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13711
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

Don't know if bottom tracks would always keep the doors in place while traveling in closed position or not. We have bottom tracks but I still bungie them open while traveling.

The built in clothing rod (which is fastened with 3/4" screws to the ceiling) buckled and collapsed on one of our first travel days. So after rebuilding that part of the closet and reading about doors falling off I just tried to be proactive.
If the doors are installed correctly into the bottom track, the doors will not come out. It is very difficult to snap them in the correct position. This is the mistake that they make as part of the mount will engage the track and the doors will appear to operate correctly, but in fact they are not fully engaged in the track and will allow the door to move up disengaging the lower track letting the door swing and causing the top hangers to break and release thereby you have a falling door.
jhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #25
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
I'm the closet door expert here; after numeros times the dealers and even montana factory had to deal with these early models.

you need to change the top snaps/clips to the metal ones; get rid of the plastic ones. and I've clauked, wired and duck taped the clips to keep them on....it works.....

and then just keep your door open and bungee them.

thank god they changed them out when the 2014s came out.

if you go to the rally in the fall you may be able to convince montana to upgrade the closet doors.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:41 PM   #26
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
I have a 2014 and the closet doors work well. When locked they still have slack and driving down the road they probably move all over the place. Thats why I stuff noodles in the upper section and when doing that they are really secure. Works great.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:52 AM   #27
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jhudson

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

If the doors are installed correctly into the bottom track, the doors will not come out. It is very difficult to snap them in the correct position. This is the mistake that they make as part of the mount will engage the track and the doors will appear to operate correctly, but in fact they are not fully engaged in the track and will allow the door to move up disengaging the lower track letting the door swing and causing the top hangers to break and release thereby you have a falling door.
I have had my doors completely out twice. Once to rebuild interior door stop trim and once while rebuilding clothes hanger assembly. I know they are fastened correctly in the bottom track. However, with roads how they are now days I just feel it is easier on these types of glass doors to travel in a secured back position.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:56 AM   #28
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Thanks for the info Joe. I will try that next time we travel.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:16 AM   #29
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
I just got the news from my dealer that Keystone will replace all four doors. I was really surprised but happy to get this news. It may be about two months befor they arrive but happy to wait and then get them installed.

Old ones have bottom rail, I replaced with metal upper hardware and have assured that the bottom is installed properly and still fell off. I willl bungee them open from now on and hope no more problems.

Thanks for all of the help and information.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote