Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ceiling Fan (update)

My ceiling fan only has one speed. It should have 3 speeds, but it now only has one. Disassembly reveals the typical 4 wire pull chain switch, but I don't think replacing it will solve my problem because there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the mechanics of it.

Two of the four wires connect to a little black box about the size of a match box, half again as thick. The fan guy at Lowes called it a "transformer", but the guy at the electronics store called it a "ballast". In any case my logic tells me there is something amiss with that little black box. Of course, no one has one or can tell me where to get one.

I can't find a name or model number on the fan. Without the manufacturer, well you see the delimma.......... I will change out the switch and hope that fixes it.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Put in new pull chain switch and it did not help, so it must be the little black box. Sure hope I don't have to replace the fan. The search go on......
Old 03-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Stiles, have not priced fans in a long while, but, in early 2004 when we replaced ours, it was $38.00 at Lowe's in the RGV. The OEM one was really noisy, annoying. The new one was quiet. For what it is worth.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Stiles,

Wouldn't it be great to be able to replace ceiling fans with attic fans, I guess you'd need and attic first....Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yeah, I know they aren't super expensive, but I don't want to do the work to change it out. Besides, I want to be able to fix things. There is too much waste in our country simply because simple parts can't be purchased.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:48 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Stiles,
Here is the fix for your fan, I've done it many times in my business and found it is the only way to get that little black box. Buy a cheap fan from Lowes with the same box and canabilize it for the part. Make sure it is the same box as there are a couple of different ones. The fan cost around $30.00. I've had to do this for some of my customers as they wanted to keep their own fans and not replace them with a new one. This is now a throw-away society and parts like that are hard if not impossible to find. If you decide to just replace the fan, make sure it's a ceiling hugger like the one you have or the slides will destroy it when you close them.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:51 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Stiles,

We sent our "waste" to Keystone.

Long story, but, yes we did, and they graciously paid for our new fan. thanks Keystone.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:33 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I've got to replace our fan. A few months back, I was sitting at the computer, and heard a sizzling sound at my back. I looked around to see smoke coming out of the fan motor shroud. I switched it off and on, and sparks came out of the motor. I disassembled the fan, and unwired the motor. I threw the shroud and blades in the trash dumpster. Some more of that quality they build into RVs.

I'd be careful about installing those cheepo fans also. Back in my younger years, I bought some ceiling huggers from now defunct Service Merchandise. I was working nights, and awoke to a horrendous noise one day. One of the fan blades was stuck through the drywall above the bed. On inspection, all of the remaining blade carriers were cracked. I know we have to have the ceiling huggers in the RV, but I have found many do not circulate air very well. I finally found a Hunter for the BR at the stick house that moved air very well. Any idea where all those fans are manufactured?

BTW Stiles, check out these capacitors. I think that may be what you are referring to.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:35 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
There could be a lot of fixes, like putting in a variable resistor, hard wire it for one speed, etc., but it all comes down to safety first.

I believe I have seen "remote control" boxes that you set into the fan, most likely in place of the present capacitor. It may be an option for you that you could consider an "upgrade."

Do a search on "ceiling fan capacitor replacement" without the quotes. You may not want to go to HanDing Electronics. Located in Taizhou City of Zhejiang Province.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Our ceiling fan broke a blade within the first 200 miles. When we stopped at our overnight site and opened the door there was a blade laying on the floor. I think the screws were loose on the pot-metal piece the wooden blade is attached to and the vibration must have caused it to break. And no, the roads were not rough either. CW replaced the whole unit with a 3 speed motor where we had only had a two speed.
The Hunter fan in our stick house has the blades rubber mounted and is the quietest one I have heard.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #11
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
When we got our 3075 the fan would do all 3 speeds but would move to air. Didn't matter if the switch was in summer or winter mode.

After some refection I found that one of the blades was diffent pitch than the other three.

Called the dealer and told him the problem he said he would get us a complete new fan. I said but I only need 1 blade, he said tuff you have to change out the whole thing.

Long story short the dealer ordered the whole fan. When I went to get it he said you have to change the whole thing and I will sent the defective one back. I opened the box took out all four blades made sure they all had the same pitch, they did. I then handed the box back to the dealer along with my four original blades and said here you deal with it.

I can't believe how dumb some dealers are.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:46 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
How to alter fan speeds by using different value capacitors. It's too early for me to decipher all that data. Just thought some might find this interesting.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:49 AM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Armed with information offered by slickwillie, I called Gulf Fan in Damon,TX (just north of Houston) to purchase a new capacitor. They didn't have on exactly like the OEM capacitor. The rep would not answer my questions or help me find an alternate that might work. He ultimately hung up on me. Looking at their website, they had a $25 minimum and $10 shipping. Bottom line, not people I want to do business with.

Then I found Switchco in Lubbock, TX. The lady was extremely helpful, easy to talk to, and courteous. She also did not have the exact capacitor, but was willing to help me find an acceptable alternate. Bottom line, great to do business with. Cost: $12.50+tax for capacitor and $6.50 shipping, with tax a little over $21.00.