Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Allstate RV Roadhelp

Anybody have an history with Allstate RV Roadhelp?

After being left on the street with AAA because they wouldn't tow the boat when my truck broke down, I thought I would shop around (also inspired by the other thread). I just can't take the Good Sam junkmail approach, so I thought I would look outside the box -

RV roadhelp (probably a clone of one of the others) is $99 annual and will tow the truck, the car, the boat, the 5er, the motorcycle, the motorcycle on a trailer, the ATV, the toad, pretty much anything that is not commercial (popcorn wagon), and it will tow it unlimited number of times and to the service center of my choice (within reason I assume). Might be too good to be true. Also - Free KOA membership.

RV Roadhelp Plan

Coverage

Besides - I'm getting tired of my AAA membership dues paying for lobbyists to promote all these "nanny" laws around here like seat belts, child driving age, car seats, cell phones, etc.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes..we have it as we speak.. used it once in about 5 years with no problem.Also Good Sams and used it once with no problem. We are now going to Coach net via Escapees for no good reason other than why not. They seem all to be prety much the same and provide good service... also had AAA for many years..with no problem..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have had Allstate vehicle insurance since age 25 and after all these years I have never had any problems and in all likelyhood will never change it BUT when it came to Emergency Road Service I went with Good Sam. Three times this past September I had reason to use call Good Sam ERS and all 3 times they performed just as advertised. As far as "the Good Sam junkmail approach". This I am only too happy to live with if this is what it takes for such an excellant Emergency Road Service plan not to mention the 10% discount at campgrounds. Junk Snail Mail can be trashed and junk Email can be deleted. It's just as simple as that.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have Coach-net. Never had to use it yet, so can't comment on that, but it is aimed at the RV market . Some regular services have limits on vehicle weights, so read the fine print.

Only thing I know about Good Sam, (and it could also apply to other providers) is that when our neighbour's Montana was blown over onto its roof last spring, Good Sam Road Service would do nothing to help because the rig was in a campground, not on the road. Road Service apparently means just that, ROAD service only. Again, read the fine print.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
OntMont -
I suspect the same would apply on Allstate if the rig blew over. When inquiring on the boat they said it must be in tow to be covered, in other words they won't dredge Lake Powell for it.

Hopefully insurance covered the upright of the rig.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I've had the Allstate RV insurance for about twenty years. Have only used it twice, the most recent last week but never with a trailer in tow. Had the Expedition towed after the voltage regulator failed and melted the battery. No problems, just called the 800 number and a truck showed in 15 minutes.

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:53 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
John, "Good Sam Road Service would do nothing to help because the rig was in a campground, not on the road. Road Service apparently means just that, ROAD service only. Again, read the fine print."

Apparently not. I was in my site in an RV Park in Louisville, KY and they responded in exactly the same fashion as the 2 times when I was on the road.

I wouldn't even have called Good Sam had my trailer blown over. Having a trailer blow over in a campground goes way beyond the realm of "road service". Your RV insurance shoud cover that as the trailer is no longer road worthy at that point anyway.
On a hiway that could be a different story as the rig must be moved to a safer location.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote