Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2008, 04:11 AM   #21
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
One more kudo for GS ERS. We debated for several years about getting it and finally did this spring before leaving Florida. When we got up to Illinois, it was still wet from all of the spring rains and thawing. The CG where we stopped for a month gave us a very nice site. When we went to back in, I got off the pad by about a foot. Yep sank the Monty and the truck up to the axle. Karen called GS and within 90 minutes a tow truck came by looked at our situation and had me out within 15 minutes. He even stayed until I got the Montana onto the pad in case we got stuck again. No fuss, no muss. Great satisfaction!!!!

gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:14 PM   #22
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
We have AAA and after having the truck towed off the mountain and another wrecker towing the camper which I had to pay for I now have AAA Plus RV and no questiones asked, just call them and they will come.
Allen
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:26 PM   #23
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Did you know that Good Sam and Camping World Road Services are both owned by the Affinity Group? Prices seem to be pretty much the same too. Both are good. I had AAA until we full timed in 2000 since they told me that there were times when they couldn't handle the RV.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #24
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
We’ve had GS for about 3 years now. During that time we’ve had to have our previous camper (M/H) towed about 100-150 yards. To make a long story short, we couldn’t make it up a hill into the campground. They towed us to our site. The biggest gripe I have is that I wasn’t able to find out what the actual cost was for the towing. I would imagine that the cost still out weighs what I’ve paid in dues so far. The truck they sent to tow me would have easily towed a tractor trailer. I’m sure it didn’t come cheap and I believe they came about 30 or more miles to get to where I was!

It’s a good feeling just to have the insurance in case it’s needed.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Here's a different one... Foremost Fulltimer insurance includes all towing. I did research on all the majors for a year and GS/Allstate/CoachNet/etc all seemed reasonable. Since this towing was only available as part of the FTer insurance, I went with that. I talked to them at length about all the horror stories I had read on here and on other RV forums. They were able to convince my very skeptical side that there would be satisfactory service on both tv and 5ver without any out of pocket expense. Their nationwide network was substantial.

I have not had to use their service yet, but I will report if there is an incident.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:11 AM   #26
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
I bought a Camping World policy in April of this year, while on our Spring road trip. Last week, we had to use it to have fuel delivered. (We were in BFE and the one and only station in between distant exits had run out of diesel.) From the time I placed the call it took right at an hour for the fuel to be delivered. The 3 gallons were just enough to get us to the next station.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #27
Montana Martins
Established Member

M.O.C. #6769
We've had Good Sam ever since we bought our first Montana. Had excellent service including a tow when our TV gave out in Memphis. Until this year, Good Sam has used Affinity and we were never disappointed. They are now using Road America and we are not happy. TV broke down at 5p.m. in SC- person answering call did not seem knowledgeable with 5th. wheels. Sent a tow truck for TV only and spent the next 4 hours trying to find someone to tow our NEW Monty which was sitting barely off the road on I-75. By 9p.m. they still had not found someone- one person called and wanted to know what size hitch we had!! We finally started calling RV parks in the area and found a Good Samaritan at Lake Marion Marina who came and towed us into the marina campground. After much haggling with Good Sam, we were finally able to give the person who rescued us some money to cover his expenses and for the trouble. We did not feel that Affinity had a good handle on 5r's. Hopefully we won't have to use it again for a while!!!
Montana Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #28
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Martins

We've had Good Sam ever since we bought our first Montana. Had excellent service including a tow when our TV gave out in Memphis. Until this year, Good Sam has used Affinity and we were never disappointed. They are now using Road America and we are not happy. TV broke down at 5p.m. in SC- person answering call did not seem knowledgeable with 5th. wheels. Sent a tow truck for TV only and spent the next 4 hours trying to find someone to tow our NEW Monty which was sitting barely off the road on I-75. By 9p.m. they still had not found someone- one person called and wanted to know what size hitch we had!! We finally started calling RV parks in the area and found a Good Samaritan at Lake Marion Marina who came and towed us into the marina campground. After much haggling with Good Sam, we were finally able to give the person who rescued us some money to cover his expenses and for the trouble. We did not feel that Affinity had a good handle on 5r's. Hopefully we won't have to use it again for a while!!!
According to this site, Good Sam is still using Affinity. I've never had to use ERS, but most of the things I have read are positive.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:45 AM   #29
patandgeorge
Established Member

M.O.C. #6069
We recommend the Good Sam highly. We have had to use the service several times, including a very involved breakdown returning from the spring Montana rally in Tucson. We broke down in a very remote area, the service was very nice. They keep you posted via cell phone. We would not be without it.
patandgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #30
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Got a survey in the mail yesterday from Road America (Camping World Road Care) regarding the roadside assistance I received provided thru my ERS purchased at Camping World. The last question asked is, "How likely are to recommend Good Sam RV ERS......" Guess Camping World and Good Sam policies are one and the same.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Joe-n-Doe

Got a survey in the mail yesterday from Road America (Camping World Road Care) regarding the roadside assistance I received provided thru my ERS purchased at Camping World. The last question asked is, "How likely are to recommend Good Sam RV ERS......" Guess Camping World and Good Sam policies are one and the same.
Yes they are.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:50 AM   #32
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I found out when the TV broke that they will only to their nearest service facility at their expense (Good Sams). Any thing more is on your nickel. I prefer to have a dealer work on my TV, in my case GM. Ended up I didn't have to pay extra, as the dealer was only a couple blocks farther. However, this may be a deal killer with me in using Good Sams after my year is up.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #33
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have Camping World's Roadside Service (which I believe is the same as Good Sam's) and they've always taken me to the nearest dealer, at my request. No additional cost to me. One time they had to truck my TV and pull the 5er, two vehicles used, from Quartzite, AZ to Blythe, CA.

Orv
Old 08-11-2008, 03:23 AM   #34
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Orv, I had read many times how GS had done just what you said, but the CSR I talked with made it very clear. It goes to the nearest service center they list, or you pay the difference. I feel sure I'll shop around before renewing our roadside service. I plan on changing insurance on the RV anyway, so I may look at Foremost, which IIRC, Dave mentioned earlier.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:06 AM   #35
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Orv, I had read many times how GS had done just what you said, but the CSR I talked with made it very clear. It goes to the nearest service center they list, or you pay the difference. I feel sure I'll shop around before renewing our roadside service. I plan on changing insurance on the RV anyway, so I may look at Foremost, which IIRC, Dave mentioned earlier.
Check out Coach-Net at http://www.coach-net.com/
I know several who have their roadside service and are very happy with it. As a matter of fact, when my present service expires I'm probably going to change to Coach-Net.

Orv
Old 08-11-2008, 04:45 AM   #36
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Anybody know which service covers boats on a trailer? I've been loyal to AAA RV/Plus for over 30 years, but they left me in the street this year when the truck broke down towing the boat. They simply will not touch them.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #37
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Anybody know which service covers boats on a trailer? I've been loyal to AAA RV/Plus for over 30 years, but they left me in the street this year when the truck broke down towing the boat. They simply will not touch them.
C & P from the GS benefits booklet:

Your RV, and ALL your household cars, minivans, SUVs,
pick-ups, motorcycles, and boat trailers are protected under
one program! No matter how big or how heavy – count on
Good Sam RV Emergency Road Service to tow you to safety.

Other than the issue of getting the truck to a dealer, they were great to work with. They had a roller deck truck dispatched in a very timely manner.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #38
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Just looked under the AAA plus RV service, and the disclaimer is that they will tow a trailer, but it excludes a 5th wheel. Have to click on the towing services link to find it though.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #39
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
My pet peeve with GS is that once a member they absolutely bombard you with advertisements...on the computer and in the mail.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #40
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Jim - AAA has towed my 5er many....many times. Wonder if it differs by state? Here is AAA Colorado:

Plus RV / Motorcycle - legally registered motor homes, pickup trucks with campers, travel trailers and motorcycles. Vehicles must be able to be safely accessed from a normally traveled road or an established thoroughfare, such as a county-maintained road.

Non trailers such as utility, animal, watercraft, motorcycle, lawn equipment, ATV, and automobile trailers are not covered.

Bill - I agree totally. I was dissapointed to hear it was GS that would tow the boat. I think I would rather pay for the tow that have to carry all that junkmail to the shredder .
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote