Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Well, it finally happened - not not a tire issue.....

....the wind caught my awning and ... well .... you know the rest of the story.

Actually happened at home, in the driveway. I had the awning out, it was going to rain. I thought it would be a perfect time to wash it. Wasn't watching the weather close enough and, .... yea ... it rained .... like a hurricaine! Before I could get the awning in, it was bent to the ground.

My wife and son came out. I have two straps hanging on it. We grabbed one at each end and held the thing down so the wind wouldn't blow it up and over the roof. The motor would not retract it.

Well, the wind let up a bit, let pressure off the straps and the thing actually rolled up.

When the rain eased up, we examined the damage. The awning did not tear or rip, but it did pull out of the track on the side of the trailer, about 2 feet from the front. And it extracted out completely, and the arms, or the joints, nothing broken or bent. Amazing .... if you could have seen how much of a pretzel it looked like in the height of holding the sail in place during the storm.

Nothing broken. But I will have to make an appointment with my local dealer repair shop to re-insert the awning back in the track. I know this is something I cannot do myself.

I think I dodged a bullet here. But I'm greatly impressed this electric awning was designed in such a way it could collapse backwards without breaking the arms or ripping anything out of the walls!

My wife say now ... if we are not physically at or in the camper, even at home, the awning stays in.

Wonder what my repair shop will charge to re-insert in the slot, and WHEN it can be done?

Lesson learned. Thank-goodness nothing broken though.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #2
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
They are not hard to insert. I just changed my awning fabric it’s not a horrible job
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #3
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Thankfully the damage was repairable sounds like. In our part of the country (W TX) we have very high, sustained winds. You generally know they are coming and can prepare. Here on the FL coast it's different. Seems the "storm" builds over the water then hits in the AM as the day warms. It hits with sheets of rain but the wind is so unpredictable; calm, gentle come and go breezes and then it starts whipping. The tree tops just pop and flip...and so does the awning (if I failed to retract it). We have learned here that if I see a tree limb sway up top I pull it in.

As far at the flexibility of the awning, I too was amazed. When caught unaware I've seen that thing flex, swing up, down and go all over. Amazing but not sure when that "whip" is going to be the one sending it into orbit.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Life lessons usually learned the hard way. We never leave the RV for any length of time without bringing in the awning due to a lesson learned the hard way
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:26 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Life lessons usually learned the hard way. We never leave the RV for any length of time without bringing in the awning due to a lesson learned the hard way
Exactly what we do and also learned that lesson the hard way.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote