Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2020, 05:39 AM   #1
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Started already

Well picked up the 3120RL yesterday, dropped off the old 3790RD with mixed emotions. 3hr drive home from the dealers, was opening the two hydraulic slides after parking in the driveway and bang... Stopped and squeezed back to the rear for inspection, glass cabinet door had come off the upper cabinet in the corner where I couldn't see it behind the slide and dropped down and cracked and popped off a big piece of architectural trim. Used much bigger screws to re-attach the door & will work on gluing and clamping the big trim today to fix it where it is split almost the full length of 2.5 ft. Then went outside and discovered all the electric cables hanging almost touching the ground on the passengers side at the rear. That will be some more inspection & figuring out why & where they came from, looks like a couple clamp screws broke but not sure as it was getting dark. The joys of a new unit.............sigh ! What else to find as we start to put everything from the old one into the new one. 5yrs of repairing the 3790RD had got to the point where going down the road for the last year and nothing would break or fall off. Forgot how much work these things are for the first few trips........sheesh

speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:30 PM   #2
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
17 years and still going strong. Sits in the driveway 96% of the time. The repairs are over the years ongoing. It is a labor of love and wanting to use it more. But so far.
The recliner moved and when extending the slide poped the trim. The door glass dropped and I had to re silicone RTV that. The glue on the glass cabinet doors all dried out and I used RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) rubber to fix all of them. Easy to remove the old hardened glue and put dabs of RTV in its place. Other than that. I think I have a disconnect in the galley tank connection at the top since I saw liquid dripping from the underbelly once. But I have not addressed it. The screws are so corroded on the underbelly. I think they will snap and I'll have to drill them out. Dreading that. The Hot water heater let go last year on an outing while we were not home. Fortunately the camper was not level R to L and the lean was towards the passenger side so all the water did not soak the carpet.
I've made a few modifications and other misc. repairs. The roof vents plastic deteriorated and cracked. So I fabricated replacements out of galvanized tin steal. I scraped the awning on a hidden sign on some tree leaves pulling out of a gas station. So I need to replace the awning material. Patched with eterna bond tape. And I need to replace or repair slide out black close seals from shrinkage and adhesive repairs over the years. Lots of little things but nothing which keeps me from enjoying my time off work if this Covid crap ends and things open up. I don't mind just hanging at a site and walking the dog for R+R. Just a working stiff and I need a break.

The Shower outer cover is UV fogged and does not look new any longer. Snow October storm caused a branch to penetrate the bed room roof. Insurance fixed that along with the fantastic fan cover.
Other than normal new sneakers I have been extremely happy with this brand in comparison with others I've owned.
Granted I do not have all the bells and whistles you all have. I can add if I should choose. It is paid for. Still looks good for its age. Decals are in tact except where I got a little to aggressive with the pressure washer wand and faded a streak in the Montana logo.
With such little maintenance in comparison to my last campers I'm a happy vintage owner.