Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2018, 02:57 PM   #1
fawnhaven
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12349
Send a message via MSN to fawnhaven
Norcold 1210 Cooling Fans?

Will your Norcold 1210 Refer work if the cooling fans DON'T work?

fawnhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Yes it will sorta cool OK during evenings and cooler days, but not very well on a hot day. Fan(s) blowing air past the fins on the back of your fridge is key especially with a fridge that is in a slide out. If yours is out … buy one off line that is the same size and quieter so you don't have to listen to the howl. They are easy to replace. They are 12 VDC.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:52 PM   #3
fawnhaven
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12349
What is the easiest way to replace existing cooling fans?
Old 07-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
A Norcold 1210 will barely hold its own on a hot day with the back of it facing the sun. I have used some Reflectix insulation on the slide ends to help ours - and it does seem to be helping.

Your 1210 has two fans hooked up through a thermal switch. Those fans are nothing more the computer case fans, 120mm IIRC. Unfortunately they are buried between the two vents and virtually impossible to reach without pulling the reefer at least part way out. If you replace or add fans, pay close attention to the bearing type (noise/life span) and CFM (air flow)

You can make up an assembly using a couple 120mm fans, mounted at the outlet vent. I've just made one up but haven't had a chance to install. It will have an adjustable snap thermal switch and be wired to a 12vdc source to be determinedsomewhere to help a little more with hot weather cooling
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
It's very simple to remove a handful of screws around the perimeter of the face of this fridge. There may be a couple on the back below the control box screwed in to the plywood floor. Pull it inward about 6", then it is easy to reach the OEM fans. When done, slide it back and replace the screws. Like Dave mentioned, get one with ball bearings, around 50 - 60 cfm airflow, and around 22 - 32 decibels. Installing two fans will improve the efficiency of the fridge if you find room. This isn't your model, but it gets across the procedure. https://www.loveyourrv.com/replacing...rv-fridge-fan/
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:55 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
A couple years ago, our fans weren’t working. I got to checking and discovered the little thermal switch attached on the cooling fin at the top of the fridge was not working. I replaced it and they started working again. I also added an ARP device with two of their fans, one at top and the other at the bottom, both attached the the vent grills, and the help quite a bit
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:52 AM   #7
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Has anyone come up with a better vent cover. Here in florida the heat is so great right now that if i remove the top vent cover on the slide the heat just pours out and the fans seem to work less. But how to keep the rain out, any ideas besides just adding fans to what i call a very restrictive vent setup that is in need of a complete re engineering as it is still the same vent design as used on single door refrigerators over the years. I think if the vent had better air flow there would be no need to add more fans.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:14 AM   #8
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
A couple years ago, our fans weren’t working. I got to checking and discovered the little thermal switch attached on the cooling fin at the top of the fridge was not working. I replaced it and they started working again. I also added an ARP device with two of their fans, one at top and the other at the bottom, both attached the the vent grills, and the help quite a bit
I had this same problem a few years ago. Here is a link to that discussion.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...t=norcold+fans

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:26 AM   #9
fawnhaven
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12349
I raised the clip on the coils inside the Fridge, I replaced the thermostat on the outside cooling fins and everything is working fine.