Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
Montana_3624

M.O.C. #3624
TIRE WEAR

I HAVE A 2004 MONTANA 3255RL.I HAVE NOTICED INSIDE TIRE WEAR AND AM TRYING TO FIND OUT IF SOME OTHER OWNERS HAVE HADE THE SAME PROBLEM AND HOW IT WAS CORRECTED.I WOULD LIKE ANY INFO THAT ANYONE HAS TO OFFER.THE TIRE PRESSURE IS AT THE RECOMENDED 80 PSI COLD NOW UP FROM 73 PSI.

THANKS ERNIE

Montana_3624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:29 PM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Ernie,

First of all wecome to the MOC Forum. Glad you found us.

Your not alone, with this problem. Lots of folks have had to have their alignment checked. You should take your Rig to a reputable shop and have yours checked. A good shop can align and even tweek an axle that is out of alignment.

There have also been some folks that had to have their Axles replaced. If this turns out to be needed, make sure you contact Keystone as some folks have gotten help from Keystone in this matter.

Wish you well,
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:10 AM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
one tip that many people overlook....is your trailor sitting flat? (level) hook up your 5vr to you truck and put a level on the kitchen floor. I've seen so many trailors going down the road at a huge pitch! sometimes when they install your hitch, they don't adjust it to the height of your camper. many hitches have several adjusting placement holes to lower the height of the hitch so the camper sits correctly.I noticed it when I went from a regular truck body to a prohauler body....the height was much different!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:11 AM   #4
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ERNIE

I HAVE A 2004 MONTANA 3255RL.I HAVE NOTICED INSIDE TIRE WEAR AND AM TRYING TO FIND OUT IF SOME OTHER OWNERS HAVE HADE THE SAME PROBLEM AND HOW IT WAS CORRECTED.I WOULD LIKE ANY INFO THAT ANYONE HAS TO OFFER.THE TIRE PRESSURE IS AT THE RECOMENDED 80 PSI COLD NOW UP FROM 73 PSI.

THANKS ERNIE
Ernie, I just got a used Monty last fall. I've noticed that I also have one tire that is wearing fast (one that the previous owner had blow out and replaced...) I've also noticed that there is a measurable difference in the distance between the tires from one side to another.

I'll be making a trip to my favorite (truck/RV) suspension shop for a realignment. Actually, looking at my truck front end, it is in need of some work as well. Nothing like one stop shopping

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, Ernie! With a 2004 model, your axles are still within the two-year warranty. If they are out of alignment, having them aligned will likely be on you unless they were out of alignment from time of delivery. We paid $150 to have two axles aligned. If the axles are bent and it was not because of overloading, then they might be replaced under warranty. You might check this out before paying for a fix. If your dealer does not respond to your satisfaction on this, call Montana/Keystone at (574) 535-2100 and ask for customer service. I'd recommend calling rather than emailing.

Good luck. Let us know how this turns out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:24 PM   #6
w4nfr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #646
I have a 2004 Big Sky 3575RL. Today I had a flat while sitting parked in the RV park. I changed out the tire with the spare and will get the tire fixed in the morning. Fortunitely, I was not moving down the road when this happened. Now for the good part. While changing the tire, I noticed that all 4 tires have nice deep tire treads when viewed from the outside. But, all 4 tires have excessive tread wear (about 1 inch wide) on the inside edge. Is this normal? Could axle alignment be the problem and be wearing all 4 tires this way? The 5th has had an easy life and not abused. Could this have been a problem when it was built? I would appreciate comments from you experienced Montana owners. Thanks.
Bill
w4nfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #7
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
w4nfr - call your dealer and tell them of the problem with your tires and have them checked - as many of us have found the axles had problems at installation. Inside tire wear is not normal. As Steve stated alignment is not a covered item but if they aren't set correctly the camber or tow is effected causing tire damage. If you don't get satisfaction from your dealer call Keystone customer service directly. Good luck.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 08:35 AM   #8
w4nfr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #646
I had 2 aluminum wheels fail and leak air this week. So I got all the tires remounted on steel wheels and got rid of the pretty alumimum wheels that were optional from Montana. The aluminum wheels had stress cracks that leaked air. THe tire guy said they see lots of there problems and it is common! Keep the cold tire pressures up and check your tires in the morning before you start out. THis is how I found my problem rims before they blew out on the road.
w4nfr is offline   Reply With Quote