Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Lippert Electric Auto Leveling

Is there anyone out there that has bought and installed this on there unit and if so the pro's and cons of doing it yourself and the all around use of it? They claim it's an easy install, along with a pretty good speed of the unit setting up.

Dave

Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Mine came with the level up feature, and it is nice!
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Are you talking about the Hydraulic Level up system or a electric system. I watched them put on our Level-up System and would not want to try it.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
This is electric http://www.themobileoutfitters.com/i...=82&Itemid=492
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
First of all we have hydraulic slide outs on most Monty's so a lot of the hydraulic system is already in place. Second the ad shows a Denali with just four jacks under it. Considering how unlevel many places we volunteer are, I like the six jack idea better (we also still have our rear stabilizers so in essence we have eight jacks). There have been times when we have had them all out to different lengths. Also, with our washer dryer I think the more jacks the better. Just my opinion. We got level up when we went to the Fall Rally and saved a good deal with the Rally discount.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

This is electric http://www.themobileoutfitters.com/i...=82&Itemid=492
Charlie
Nothing wrong with that system. His topic asked about the Lippert electric system and I did not think they made one.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

First of all we have hydraulic slide outs on most Monty's so a lot of the hydraulic system is already in place. Second the ad shows a Denali with just four jacks under it. Considering how unlevel many places we volunteer are, I like the six jack idea better (we also still have our rear stabilizers so in essence we have eight jacks). There have been times when we have had them all out to different lengths. Also, with our washer dryer I think the more jacks the better. Just my opinion. We got level up when we went to the Fall Rally and saved a good deal with the Rally discount.
The Lippert electric levelers have 4 or 6 jacks
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sorry! Just went by the picture.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:51 AM   #9
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I was at Mobil Outfitters this last week in Elkhart IN. I was talking to them about the level up system and Sonny told me about the electric level up system because of the significant cost reduction over the hydraulic. He was just pointing out the availability. Yes they do have the 6 jack setup in the electric. He also said it was a pretty fast set up in comparison to the hydraulic.

Hoping to find someone that actually is using the electric. I want the level up system, but the cost of an add on is quite steep if you want to add the IS, Disc brakes. Total cost for that whole setup is nearing the $8,000.00 range or close. Sometimes wonder if buying new with all of that on would be better. But plain simple fact is, I like the unit I am in, I like the mods that I have done to it, and all the new bugs have been taken care of. I really don't want to start all over once again.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:10 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you decide on IS and disk brakes and can wait, get them around the time of the fall Rally. We got our's and level-up at last years Rally and the Rally discounts saved us a lot of money. As for speed, I'm puzzled. I push the auto level button and drag the power cord out and the rig is level before I have the EMS fully installed let alone the cord plugged in. Faster isn't an issue for us.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The original manufacturer of the electrical leveling system was a company named Ground Control. They provided four jacks (with easily interchanged motors in the event of a problem) and a remote control to run the various motors. The legs are similar to the standard legs supplied by Venture. An inner leg with holes and an outer leg with a pin which locks into the inner leg. Drop the inner legs to the ground and then use the remote to lift the front/rear and left/right until you are satisfied the RV is level.

Lippert bought Ground Control (what a surprise!). They have enhanced the system using the auto level technology of the hydraulic systems. The addition of a position sensor and the same control panel used by the Level-Up made it an automatic leveling system. A friend just bough a brand new Challenger with the automatic levelers. It actually works pretty well.

Lippert via Camping World has been selling the older (Generation 1) Ground Control type system in a recent advertising campaign. Be careful! The ads said it is the auto level system. It is not! It is the human operated remote control system. Supposedly the ads have been changed (updated) to remove all the "automatic" references. One member here bought the system based on the "automatic" claims. When they discovered what they bought wasn't automatic they complained (loudly and often). CW is upgrading them to the "automatic" system next week at no additional charge. But I doubt they will do this for too many others.

Since I have the Lippert Level-Up hydraulic system, I was interested to see the differences with the electric motor system. They both achieve the same end result - a level and stable trailer. The electric jacks are much slower than the hydraulics. Basically they operate at the same speed as the old front legs did on a Montana. Having to bend down to lower/raise the four inner legs is another feature I dislike compared to the hydraulic system. I do like the ability to use an electric motor from one jack on another in the event of a failure. The hydraulic system has no such backup.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote