Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
mmgeol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10293
LED's and Tri-Metric battery monitor

I just installed all LED's in the 3150rl and am extremely happy with the results. Michael at FilamentFree got the order out in less than an hour and everything is working great. Thanks to Jack and David for showing us the light on LED's at the Quartzsite Circle.

I have some questions about battery monitors. I want to know what power percent I have remaining in the battery bank and see what the power drain is for the heater, tv, etc. I am looking at the Tri-metric monitor and would like to get input on the following:
does the montitor show total power in all of the battery bank or just one? Is it easy to install? Is there a more recommended monitor?

Thanks.

Curtis

mmgeol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mmgeol

I just installed all LED's in the 3150rl and am extremely happy with the results. Michael at FilamentFree got the order out in less than an hour and everything is working great. Thanks to Jack and David for showing us the light on LED's at the Quartzsite Circle.

I have some questions about battery monitors. I want to know what power percent I have remaining in the battery bank and see what the power drain is for the heater, tv, etc. I am looking at the Tri-metric monitor and would like to get input on the following:
does the montitor show total power in all of the battery bank or just one? Is it easy to install? Is there a more recommended monitor?

Thanks.

Curtis
does the montitor show total power in all of the battery bank or just one? - The easy answer should by yes. However with that said all the negative 12vdc connections need to be in parallel and connected at the "bottom of the shunt". Then the negatives for all loads are connected to the "top of the shunt". I use a buss strip at the top of the shunt for all my Load grounds. I use the reference bottom and top as just a way of description.
I have four six volts (two in series) and the two pair then in parallel.

I hope this answers your question.

Yes, I feel it was easy to install. I had a problem but it was installer error, me. I did not have all the load grounds at the "top" of the shunt.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
rollie41
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6844
I agree with John, easy to install and a must to monitor usage.
rollie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
A Trimetric will monitor the usage (Current flow, total ah consumed, replaced, % remaining etc) on only one "Bank" It will however monitor the voltage of 2 banks.

Note I said Bank and not battery. A group of batteries that are interconnected equal a bank. There could be a single or multiple batteries making up a bank.

In our 5vrs usually there is only one bank... the house bank. In a class A or C there is likely two or more. 1 being the house bank (large deep cycle bank) and a second starter bank which are the batteries used to start the engine.

In an application like the Class A - the Trimetric usage monitoring functions will be connected to the house bank and the start battery bank will just have its voltage monitored.

As for recommended monitor. They are really quite simple devices and all are pretty similar. They basically consist of the Display unit, wiring, and a shunt. The minute voltage drop across the shunt is how current flow is measured. As the polarity of that voltage across the shunt changes it notes current flow into or out of the battery.

I've had an Ample Power, Xantrex, and now the Trimetric. They were all quite similar in features. The Xantrex also controlled my Inverter so it had multiple purpose.

I'm happy with the Trimetric - its a US company, good support, and has all the features you want in a Energy Monitor.

IMO an Energy Monitor is the best investment you can make if you are planning on more boon docking. It will allow you to understand your energy consumption patterns and should you decide to upgrade your dc power system, that understanding allows you to size everything correctly.

Hope this was clear and helpful.

Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
mmgeol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10293
Many thanks for the info on Tri-Metric. I think I will bite the bullet and purchase one to monitor my power usage.
mmgeol is offline   Reply With Quote