Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #21
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PowellsMonty

I finally foung the plug for the heater and it looks like a regular extesion cord will work. Am I wrong?
It depends on how long you're looking at. Block heaters run around 1500 watts, so a short 14 gauge will work, but if you are going to run a long extension, use a 12 gauge extension cord.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #22
WanderBC
Established Member

M.O.C. #10885
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thor

i live in ontario canada.it gets to o to -30 f.never pluged the truck in and it starts no problems.
I have to winter in Kamloops, BC for a few more years and it can get cold all winter here.

My truck started to not start this past weekend. I need to check the glow plugs changing the plugs in my old 6.5 and really old VW Jetta made a big difference.

I have a 12 gauge extension cord with a timer and thermometer, the block heater only comes on between the set times and only if the temp is lower than -10 C about 14 F, I still need to put my winter front on
WanderBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #23
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thor

i live in ontario canada.it gets to o to -30 f.never pluged the truck in and it starts no problems.
I'm with you, don't know what all the fuss is about. Got a chuckle out of Rich plugging his in in Fla.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

Every Ford F250 or F350 diesel we have bought over the last 10 years (approximately 25) came with a factory installed block heater. Look behind the grill on the drivers side, you should find the power cord coiled up and taped or zip tied to itself with a plastic cover over the plug.

I don't know that ALL of them have the heater, but the ones in our part of Texas do.
Lonnie, Ford puts in the block heater standard in certain states they deem to be needy of such heater. In other states it's an extra cost item. For both my 2003 and 2005 Ford diesel purchased in Kansas it was extra cost. In Missouri it's standard. Go figure. Like Missouri gets colder than Kansas? I think not.

In any case, all Ford 6.0L diesels (don't know about the 6.8 and 6.7) actually have a block heater installed. If you pay for the option, what you actually get is the plug in cord. For about $50 (in 2005, anyhow). And you can buy the cord from the parts counter at a Ford dealership, too.

So, my 2005 6.0 supposedly did not have the block heater because I did not get that option (bought off the lot). Here's a picture of the heater connection for the block heater it "doesn't have." For those who want to check theirs, it's on the lower block, passenger side. Turn the wheel all the way to the left, then crawl under and look.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #25
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Even if you need not plug the block heater in to get her to start ... it sure is nice having instant heat out the heater vents backing out of the driveway!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Isn't it also easier on the engine to have the block, and thus the lubricant, warmer at startup? That's generally why I plug ours in when in subfreezing weather.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:28 AM   #27
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Like it has already been said. Don't need the block heater but it sure is nice to jump in the truck and go on a cold morning. Plus I am on-call for the FD, I can't wait for the truck to warm up before going .....
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote