Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
Johnsonw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9830
Buying new TV, final decission SRW or DRW

I have narrowed down my search for a new TV. I am going to order a 2011 Chevy 3500HD, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4X4, w/ the LTZ package. My final decision is SRW or DRW. I would like some opinions based on the following:
-I will be towing a 2955RL, which will be fully loaded with a GVWR of 13,725#.
-We will be FT RVing, through out the states, Canada and Alaska
-I will be using the TV for some daily driving in NJ during November and December each year.
-When towing, it will be myself, DW and our dog
-I will be carrying 2 kayaks, a 250# gas scooter and 2 bikes on the TV
-The 2011 Chevy 3500 SRW has a GVWR of 11,000#, GCWR of 24,500#, a 5th wheel trailering rating of 16,800#, and a maximum payload of 4,268#
-The 2011 Chevy 3500 DRW has a GVWR of 13,000#, GCWR of 29,200#, a 5th wheel trailering rating of 21,100#, and a maximum payload of 5,905#
-The SRW TV has Hill Assist Start, Stabilitrak Electronic Stability Control (senses loss of lateral traction, understeer, and oversteer, and automatically adjusts brakes and engine torque), Trailer Sway Control (works with StabiliTrak,and senses trailer sway and automatically applies TV brakes and reduces engine power as necessary), and Automatic Locking Rear Differential. THE DRW HAS NONE OF THESE AND RELIES ON THE DUAL WHEELS FOR CONTROL.
-Identically equipped DWR TV cost ~$250 less that SRW.
My questions are:
-Should I go with the SRW or DWR?
-When in the snow and not towing, is the SRW with the above listed stability/sway/traction controls, better than the DRW?
-What sort of MPG reduction is normal with DRW (towing and non-towing)?
-Is there anything else I'm not considering?
I have talked to a number of dealers, but they are clueless.
Ideally I would like to go with the SRW, (better MPG, less tire cost, easier to drive when not towing), BUT I DON'T WANT TO MAKE A MISTAKE AND UNDER BUY.
All advice appreciated and welcome.

Johnsonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Johnsonw

I have narrowed down my search for a new TV. I am going to order a 2011 Chevy 3500HD, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4X4, w/ the LTZ package. My final decision is SRW or DRW. I would like some opinions based on the following:
-I will be towing a 2955RL, which will be fully loaded with a GVWR of 13,725#.
-We will be FT RVing, through out the states, Canada and Alaska
-I will be using the TV for some daily driving in NJ during November and December each year. Dually does not have as much traction with out weight as SRW
-When towing, it will be myself, DW and our dog
-I will be carrying 2 kayaks, a 250# gas scooter and 2 bikes on the TV
-The 2011 Chevy 3500 SRW has a GVWR of 11,000#, GCWR of 24,500#, a 5th wheel trailering rating of 16,800#, and a maximum payload of 4,268#
-The 2011 Chevy 3500 DRW has a GVWR of 13,000#, GCWR of 29,200#, a 5th wheel trailering rating of 21,100#, and a maximum payload of 5,905# I like the higher number so you have room to grow.
-The SRW TV has Hill Assist Start, Stabilitrak Electronic Stability Control (senses loss of lateral traction, understeer, and oversteer, and automatically adjusts brakes and engine torque), Trailer Sway Control (works with StabiliTrak,and senses trailer sway and automatically applies TV brakes and reduces engine power as necessary), and Automatic Locking Rear Differential. THE DRW HAS NONE OF THESE AND RELIES ON THE DUAL WHEELS FOR CONTROL.
-Identically equipped DWR TV cost ~$250 less that SRW.
My questions are:
-Should I go with the SRW or DWR?
-When in the snow and not towing, is the SRW with the above listed stability/sway/traction controls, better than the DRW?
-What sort of MPG reduction is normal with DRW (towing and non-towing)? MPG is a little less but to many other things to know exact amount. I would guess .5 to 1 mpg at most.
-Is there anything else I'm not considering?
I have talked to a number of dealers, but they are clueless.
Ideally I would like to go with the SRW, (better MPG, less tire cost, easier to drive when not towing, BUT I DON'T WANT TO MAKE A MISTAKE AND UNDER BUY.
All advise appreciated and welcome.
  • I like the idea of the extra tires on the rear. I do have 4x4 but if I have to use 4x4 in snow not towing I do not go. Only use it if caught in snow on the road.
  • Finding enough parking space for dually is farther out in the parking lot.
  • Replacing six tires cost more.
  • I like my dually and would do it again.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I go with H John on this one...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
The SRW is more convenient for everyday driving for sure, BUT, for towing a 5ver a DRW is the only way to go in my opinion. Much more stability and extra tire capacity for unexpected events. If you have a blowout on a rear tire on a SRW pulling a heavy 5ver you are in for a very unpleasant experience. The tradeoff is convenience vs. capacity and my vote is safety and capacity. It is easy to get used to driving a dually if you just avoid parking garages and be always aware of your slightly wider stance.
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I have SWD because I like the size better for most of my driving. However if you can put up with the extra width, the dually is more capable as a TV.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I think it's a personal thing. Many have said that the DRW vehicle is more stable. I've had both DRW and SRW. I prefer the SRW. I don't notice any instability on the highway. Some have said in the past that they like the DRW vehicle because if they have a flat on the back they still have one tire to go on. My argument is what do you do with a flat on the front? You have to replace it. Same as on a SRW vehicle.

Again, it's a personal thing.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
DRW for me. If you get a flat on a rear wheel with DRW, you still have to change it. You shouldn't drive with a flat. You won't have the rear drop if one tire goes flat. I agree with John and Rich.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
DRW here and glad I did it over all 70,000 miles. I have towed with both and the DRW is definitely more stable. I have towed with short beds and long beds. Long beds always tow better. I have never had any problems in snow that I wouldn't have with a SRW. It goes just fine in snow. There was really only one time I couldn't park close to my destination. That was in Gatlinburg where the streets are very narrow and I would have hung way out in the street. My choice was to move on. Otherwise I get where I need to go. Like someone above you need to buy a couple more tires but in the overall cost of ownership a very small expense. You will also have to watch the tire stores. They will forget to put the extensions on so you can get air in them and they will pit the inner valve stem behind a solid part of the wheel. I learned to check because it has happened at all three tire stores I have had work on the rear. I find access to the bed from the side of the truck very limited. Can't reach over the wheels and into the bed. I have a 2x2 I use to get the breakaway off the handle and to lift the latch to release the handle. Not a big deal. Peace of mind is priceless when towing. If you're tow vehicle is not up to the task you will find yourself not wanting to tow. Been there done that with a boat. Expensive mistake .

You will worry about the back end but after awhile you don't even notice the difference. You will compensate for it without even thinking.

I like trucks with big rear ends !!
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
Go Dually and you won`t have to look back, and if you do it the 1st time your money ahead! ask me, I know!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Get the dually, and IMHO, omit the 4wd...more cost/maint and reduced mileage, tow capacity. Also, lots of those numbers you noted are the manufacturer's BS. Those cargo capacitys are for the gas engine versions...to find the TRUE cargo capacity, look at the Tire and Loading Informatin sticker on the frame of the driver's side. It is listed to the nearest pound for THAT truck.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #11
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I have no problems with my 2500 D/A towing a smaller trailer like the 2955rl. With my year GMC I am 200 lb. over on my hitch weight and added air bags to bring up the rear of the truck to adjust the ride. I add as little as 20 psi to the bag for this purpose. I have never owned a 1 ton so can only speculate that the ride with out the trailer must be a smoother ride and find the we put more miles on the truck after getting to the CG then pulling between them and enjoy that part of the 2500 most. Only one regret about the SRW is we would like a large truck camper but when that time comes will opt for one that fit my truck better.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
2005 Dually now, with a 2011 on order. Just towing a TT, when I went from SRW to the DRW what a difference, much more stable to me (remember this is my opinion). I'm staying with the 4x4 because I like the low range for backing into tight spots with the Monty. Most of the time just an idle in low range will back you right in, no transmission slipping then suddenly engaging and lurching backwards, plus we still live in snow county and live on a deadend dirt road, so we need the 4x4 to get home some times.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have the dually and feel I needed it with the 3400, IF Ihad a smaller and lighter unit to tow, I would reconsider and probably go with the SRW one ton. What others have said is very valid. As a daily driver the dually is too big for most parking lots and not as convenient as a SRW drive. I would stick with the 4 X 4 for reasons stated above. Keep in mind that IF you upgrade your trailer you will like already having a DRW, if that's the way you go. With your size trailer, you do have options. I thought a different opinion might be appreciated. Good luck.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #14
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I think it's a personal thing. Many have said that the DRW vehicle is more stable. I've had both DRW and SRW. I prefer the SRW. I don't notice any instability on the highway. Some have said in the past that they like the DRW vehicle because if they have a flat on the back they still have one tire to go on. My argument is what do you do with a flat on the front? You have to replace it. Same as on a SRW vehicle.

Again, it's a personal thing.

Orv
Agree with Orv.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:13 AM   #15
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
TRUTH IS.... both will work to tow your Montana. Those that have tend to promote that set-up as the correct TV. If a SRW was not capable of towing a 5th wheel the manufactures would not make them or promote their tow capabilities. The main issue between a SRW and DRW is the pin weight of your rig. If you have a pin weight that exceeds your cargo carrying capability of your TV then a DRW is the way to go. Additional consideration come down to personal preference and advantages / disadvantages between a SRW and DRW and how you will use your TV when not towing. Comes down to preferences as stated in above responses. Good luck with what ever TV and set-up you decide on!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:40 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The numbers tell the story as Steves indicates. CC/ Pin weight is the primary issue. The dually is , IMO a PITA to drive around but nothing that can not be dealt with. As a daily driver none of these big trucks are very efficient. We had a member from Az,aeronautical engineer as I recall that explained the stability issue SWD, Dually with all kinds of numbers that made complete sense. I mean there has got to be a difference but I was nevar able to feel it when driving single or dually.

We have the dually because the numbers said we needed it. Such is life...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #17
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
I agree on the dually. Our trailer is the Mountaineer version of the same floor plan of the 2955. Our TV is a Chev 2500 SRW. It handles it fine and feels stable enough but new trailers are getting bigger and heavier. I know our next trailer will be heavier overall and a heavier pin weight. Our next TV will be a dually. Always rather have a little to much TV than not enough.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #18
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
i have a 2003 chevy 2500 and have ordered a 2011 chevy 3500 dually. like you said the spec are there so you can see the weights are really different for the srw to the drw.if your thinking of the srw why not just go with the 2500.the 2500 is rated higher than the 2005 your driving now.just a thought.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:00 AM   #19
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
Some of my reasoning for going SRW was the fact that in Massachusetts 5 or more wheels on the ground require commercial plates and inspection sticker. Also DRW and long bed ia a PITA as a daily driver IMHO.
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #20
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sheepdog

The SRW is more convenient for everyday driving for sure, BUT, for towing a 5ver a DRW is the only way to go in my opinion. Much more stability and extra tire capacity for unexpected events. If you have a blowout on a rear tire on a SRW pulling a heavy 5ver you are in for a very unpleasant experience. The tradeoff is convenience vs. capacity and my vote is safety and capacity. It is easy to get used to driving a dually if you just avoid parking garages and be always aware of your slightly wider stance.
ditto!
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote