Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Standard Box or Long Box on New Chevy?

We are buying a new 3400rl with a morRyde hitch. Considering turning radius, tailgate down (unintentionally) and ride, do I need a long box or will a standard box length be OK? The order is ready to go in on a 2011 Diesel so I need info quick.

Thanks for helping.

WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Assuming you are getting a 3500 series truck, it will be a long bed, GM had no options when it comes to one tons and bed length...unless there is a change for the new models.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Unless you have a very good memory, or you have an automatic slider hitch, the long box would be the best option. I for one will not rely on my memory to tell me that I have a truck with a short box and I've either got to be very careful when turning, or I've got to make sure my slider hitch works, and etc., etc.

Fortunately I'll never have to be concerned about that because I have the Trailer Saver air hitch and they don't make a slider for that hitch -- at least not to my knowledge.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Long bed for sure. You get a much larger fuel tank vs. the short bed. Like Tom said also I don't think you can get the 3500 in short bed.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
8 ft bed for sure it is a real TRUCK
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I've had both and I must admit I prefer the long bed. You'll get used to and appreciate the extra 2 feet of length, plus lowering the tailgate gives you a 10 ft bed, not to carry heavier stuff, but longer and more stuff.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have had both also and prefer the Long Box. Not only more room but you will have no need for a slider hitch. And I would also go with a DRW Truck, 1 ton for sure. And I have also had a SRW and the DRW Truck there is a major difference. Good Luck with your choice. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
One ton dually long bed for us. I use mine for work when I'm not camping and it's not that difficult to learn to drive and park it anywhere that you want.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:04 AM   #9
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Long bed is the way to go.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:36 AM   #10
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Long bed with dual rear wheels. The dual wheels up your weight carrying capacity and they make the bed look not as long if that makes sense.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:03 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In Addition there is not a big price difference between the two.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:07 AM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Well I guess I don't have a REAL truck since I have a shortbed, 2500! I have had no problem with our truck. Of course,I don't have a 3400 either, just a 2980 that is only about 34 1/2 ft long total. I have a Reese slider for a hitch and have had no problems. If I think I will have a problem in turning or backing the unit, I just climb out of the cab and throw a handle, pull the TV forward a little and lock it into maneuver position and off I go! I've had no problems so far! Ya, I don't have that 90* turning that the new hitches have but I feel if I need to park in a 90* position, I shouldn't be there in the first place! I think it's up to your own ideas and thoughts. We have a crewcab an with a full box behind that it looks to me like a cargo barge coming down the road and also it is not the easiest thing to find a parking spot for! A regular parking spot at Wally World will not be long enough or wide enough for a dually! This is only MHO and I may not know what I'm talking about!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
richard66
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5896
If your buying GM 3500 then you probably don't have a choice. 8' dual wheel vehicles do a good job of towing and hauling things. They are not easy to drive or park in the everyday world. Plan on scrubbing off a couple rear fenders learning to drive the vehicle in everyday conditions. How much more load carrying capacity do you have with DRW over SRW on the same size truck. You will be suprised at the difference. You also have two more tires and wheels to maintain. Just something to consider. Get someone who has a DRW 8' bed truck and take it to mall and park it. Then go into traffic and make a few turns and lane changes. This will give you the answer to the question SRW or DRW.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
richard66 does not say what he drives but he offers some good advice. I have a DRW long bed 3500 Chevy and love it. You will get used to the larger size in no time. I have found that most parking lots, especially here in CA, were not built for the larger vehicles in mind. Having said this, I have no problem finding a parking space away from the front doors. The added benefit in parking out a ways is the lack of door dings from other cars. Swinging wide in turns is just another way of life and is easily done with proper planning. Learn early on and you will not be "scrubbing off your fenders". Buying and maintaining 6 tires is more expensive, but I just consider it in the cost of RVing. SRW vs DRW is a personal choice. I have driven both and prefer the added stability of the dually. Most folks don't buy into the stability thing, but I happen to know the difference, having driven both. I haven't really looked at the carrying capacity, but I think the payload is higher in the dually. Do your homework and test drive both if you can, the stability issue comes into play on the hiway, when pulling and passing or being passed by the larger trucks or in strong crosswinds. Good luck with your choice and Welcome to the Forum.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #15
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
My personal reasons are, I believe a long bed gives the rider a much more comfortable ride than a short bed, something about the wheel base length. and you dont need a slider hitch a big savings in money there.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #16
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

richard66 does not say what he drives but he offers some good advice. I have a DRW long bed 3500 Chevy and love it. You will get used to the larger size in no time. I have found that most parking lots, especially here in CA, were not built for the larger vehicles in mind. Having said this, I have no problem finding a parking space away from the front doors. The added benefit in parking out a ways is the lack of door dings from other cars. Swinging wide in turns is just another way of life and is easily done with proper planning. Learn early on and you will not be "scrubbing off your fenders". Buying and maintaining 6 tires is more expensive, but I just consider it in the cost of RVing. SRW vs DRW is a personal choice. I have driven both and prefer the added stability of the dually. Most folks don't buy into the stability thing, but I happen to know the difference, having driven both. I haven't really looked at the carrying capacity, but I think the payload is higher in the dually. Do your homework and test drive both if you can, the stability issue comes into play on the hiway, when pulling and passing or being passed by the larger trucks or in strong crosswinds. Good luck with your choice and Welcome to the Forum.
I HAVE looked into the "carrying capacity" and the dually's capacity is, on average, twice that of a 3/4 ton truck.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #17
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
I love my crew cab long bed CARGO BARGE. I think I have a smoother ride and a more usable bed.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

My personal reasons are, I believe a long bed gives the rider a much more comfortable ride than a short bed, something about the wheel base length. and you dont need a slider hitch a big savings in money there.
Hey, Don, did you know your quad cab longbed uses the exact same frame as my megacab shortbed and has the exact same wheelbase? It's not longbed or shortbed that affects ride, it's the wheelbase. The wheelbase on mine (and yours) is longer than the wheelbase on the extended cab longbed truck, too. Not meaning to be argumentative, just want to point out a common misunderstanding about longbed/shortbed ride.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #19
richard66
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5896
I drive a 2006 SRW 3500 Dodge Quad Cab CTD auto. 2wd w/410 axle. As for the towing capacity of the SRW and the DRW, my dealer lititure shows the DRW has 400lbs. more towing capacity 16,250 vs 15,850 for the SRW. I can't find the GVWR numbers for compairison. As for stability the DRW could have some advantages. I have had both DRW and SRW and don't see alot of difference in the trailer stability. I have driven many interstate miles and have not noticed any big difference in stability from being passed by trucks/busses with the SRW and DRW configuration. Drive both SRW and DRW in traffic and parking lots before you buy.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #20
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Hey, Don, did you know your quad cab longbed uses the exact same frame as my megacab shortbed and has the exact same wheelbase? It's not longbed or shortbed that affects ride, it's the wheelbase. The wheelbase on mine (and yours) is longer than the wheelbase on the extended cab longbed truck, too. Not meaning to be argumentative, just want to point out a common misunderstanding about longbed/shortbed ride.
I sure did Steve, the extra room you have in the cab of your Ram is part of the eight foot bed. I didnt want to spend more money for a slider hitch, I dont transport extra passingers very much, and I got to have that two feet of bed for my goodies that I carry most of the time. if I would have waited untill 2010 I could have got a full CC Ram with a 8 foot bed I seen one at the local Dodge dealer 3500 4X4 SRW, a very long wheel base over the Mega cab and the long bed.