Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Hitch Considerations for New Truck

Well, I'm getting down to the weeds in my search for a new truck. I'm about to start shopping and talking to dealers but I have a question concerning my fifth wheel hitch.

I don't want a dealer installed hitch but also know nothing about how any hitch is actually attached to the truck. I've read about bed rails, under the rails bed liners, and other things about attachments that I need to know more about. If anyone has insights, let 'er rip.

Also, if I'm ordering a brand new truck I need to know what the proper approach to a bed liner should be. Is it best left until after the hitch is in or before? Does this decision change with dealer installed vs after market or spay liners?

Finally, what do you all think about 'bed savers'? Are they worth it? Are they just a pain when hooking up? I noticed when my trailer was delivered that the truck was so equipped and it caused some extras steps to get it clear of the pin when unhooking.

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
My truck came with a bed liner. When they installed the hitch they just cut away the liner to fit over the bed rails and the hole for the seven pin plug. I am not nuts about the bed liner as it tends to be slick and I always worry about moisture and debris getting under it. Will probably one day remove it and just go with the bare bed as I have a cover over it. I like the spray in liners and had that on my last truck. If that is what you are going to get have it done before the hitch is installed. If not you will have to removed and re-installed after the spray liner is installed. Jim C.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
bed any savers are well worth it--ask me how I know
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:24 AM   #4
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I have a sprayed in bed liner, and I also had the side rails done. This was done when I bought the truck and it still looks like new. I would recommend this over a drop in liner, it is well worth it as it will last forever. If you have it done, make sure to have it done before the hitch is installed.

Rich
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:31 AM   #5
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I think I'll be going with spray in. It seems like the best for long term corrosion resistance.

What are bed rails?
Old 01-01-2010, 03:37 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Ask your dealer to include a spray in liner. My Chevy dealer threw it in.....The type of hitch you get depends somewhat on the truck you buy. For example, IF you buy a truck with a short bed, you might consider a sliding hitch, either manual or automatic. If you want the best ride you might consider an air hitch, several brands available (I have a "TrailerSaver" by Hensley). Know this: The air hitches will give you the best ride but will lighten your bank account quite a bit.. If you use your truck to haul stuff when you are not towing, you might look at the B & W Companion line of "Rail Free" hitches with removable ball to give you a truly flat bed. Whatever you get, make sure it is well over the weight of the trailer. If you go with a standard rigid hitch, Blue Ox makes a bed saver device that attaches to your hitch which will protect your truck IF you accidentally pull away without the hitch being locked or the trailer on securely. Hope this helps, Happy New Year!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:54 AM   #7
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
what we did was have the holes drilled in the truck bed for the hitch and took it to bed liner shop. he srayed the holes, this was his recommendation, saying the holes will rust out and you might not know untill its to late. just a thought.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:02 AM   #8
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
If you are going to order a new truck, take a look at the 2011 Ford SuperDuty, you can order it with a Reese engineered 5th wheel substructure, 7 pin receptacle in the box drivers side, and a factory sprayed in bed liner.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/2011SuperDuty/

Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:06 AM   #9
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
I have a short bed, so in doing research, I leaned towards getting a slider. Purchased a 18K Pullrite with Superrails. This gives me the ability to remove the hitch leaving only 4 holes in the bed. I had a bedliner sprayed on after install. Works and looks great. With the deeper beds on the new P/U's, I also installed the 3" lift kit for extended clearance. Being rather new to the fifth wheel world, I have total piece of mind with this setup. It is pricey, but so was my truck and 5ver.
FYI - I also can install/remove the hitch by myself. I just slide it up/down from the bed on a couple of 2x4's. And when it is in the garage, it rests on a 4-wheel furniture dolly for manuverability.
boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:55 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Paul, since you have the Big Sky, the Truck I would recomend would be DRWs and thats my experience in owning both the SRW and DRWs. Again thats you choice. As for hitches the top of the list would be Trailer Saver Air ride hitch you can't use a bed saver with the TS. But I don't think you would need one, just a pull on the king ping latch handle will tell you if its connect, also paint the wrap around jaws white and the visual check is easy, and the TS wraps around the King pin just like the Class 8 commerical Trucks use. As for bed liners, I would go with the spray-in type but thats on the condition you will keep the truck for 5 to 8 years. The last two Chevy 3500HD's I used the B&W systems and used a rubber mat under the hitch. That being said the B&W system is the best steel none air ride hitch I have owned. And keep in mind the short bed Trucks limits many thing you can do. And it looks like GM will not make a 3500HD with the Duramax/Allison in 2010, so I can't recomend a Ford or Dodge, because I have never owned either one. Good Luck. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #11
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
We pretty much second the above post. Hade a DRW long bed crew cab GMC D/A with a spray in liner(Line-X) that dealer installed and a B&W hitch. Pulled the Monty with no problems(panic stops were an other issue!) Now have an SOB @ 20K and pull with FL M2-112 and Trailer saver air hitch. This will pull and stop! Highly recomend the TS air hitch if you are going to be pulling one of the bigger rigs. Safe travels, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Thanks for all the info. Some of it is going off track even though it's appreciated. The biggest thing I'm concerned about is dealer options... To do or not to do.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the following:

Dodge 3500 dually, 6 speed auto, 4.10 rear end, long bed, crew cab, 4x4, Trailer Saver hitch.

What I'm not sure of is the wisdom of going with Dodge bed liner and anything else to do with a hitch (from Dodge). I want to keep this truck for >10 years and would like the hitch to be as corrosion free an installation as possible.

What I'm gathering from the responses is to go with spray on liner after any required holes are made. Does that make sense?

Also, with respect to the Trailer Saver, does it have a more visible way to confirm a real latch than the others. I've read of some people who seemed to have gotten a false indication of a latch and that, coupled with some other mistakes, can add up to disaster. I really would rather not have the bed saver due to weight and hook up hassles, provided the hitch is foolproof (or maybe fool proof).
Old 01-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #13
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Paul, as I said you can paint the jaws white, but if you really want to make sure its in the locked position put a long shackle pad lock on and if the pad lock isn't in the locked position don't move the Truck. The safest way is when you are hooking up raise the landing gear tow inches off the ground and do a pull test. I don't know for sure if Blue Ox is making a bed saver for the Trailer Saver. GBY....
Old 01-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Paul, The handle on the TS hitch has three positions. As long as you double check that the handle is in the correct position AND you can see the jaws closed, you will not have a problem. Currently Blue Ox does not have a Bed Saver for the TS Hitch. I wrote Blue Ox after I bought my hitch (May '08) and they had no plans, at that time, to fabricate one for that hitch, stating it was not that common a hitch (i.e. no money for them). I think your truck and hitch will give you plenty of service. If I was looking for a new truck now, I would either go with the F450 or the new Dodge. Good luck and safe travels.....
Old 01-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #15
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Hi Phil:

Can I ask how you had the TS installed. Did you do it yourself of have it done? I understand it fits Reese rails so I'm guessing any outfit that's familiar with Reese can do a TS without problems.

The TS website lets you get a list of 'dealers' that can install but it's a mighty small list and I'm wondering how to get it done locally (which is not near anything on their list).
Old 01-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pbahlin

Hi Phil:

Can I ask how you had the TS installed. Did you do it yourself of have it done? I understand it fits Reese rails so I'm guessing any outfit that's familiar with Reese can do a TS without problems.

The TS website lets you get a list of 'dealers' that can install but it's a mighty small list and I'm wondering how to get it done locally (which is not near anything on their list).

I had mine installed at Beaudry RV in Tucson AZ. We went with the built in controller also. Works super, controls under the dash with gauge for pressure, I like the push a button technology. It also has air fittings on unit in case the auto compressor fails. Not sure what to tell you about a local install. I would probably call around to RV shops, or truck shops to find someone that has installed one before. I might even call Hensley to see if they have used someone in your area before. They are very customer oriented..... I highly recommend the vinyl cover also. Once I unhitch, the cover goes on and stays on until I'm ready to hitch again. They also have a "riser " kit you might need. I had to put one on mine. Ordered and did myself. As I remember I got the torque values from the company. Don't ask me what they were....You will enjoy the hitch if you go with it. I think it is the best hitch on the market. I have seen many on the class 8 trucks....Of Course, it ain't cheap........Good luck.....Others on the forum can attest to the statements above......
Old 01-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #17
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
yes, I would recommend a spray in bedliner. Getting your dealer to do it as part of the deal should not be aproblem before installing a hitch. That is what we did, then had the hitch(B&W) installed afterward. The installer just cut the hole through the bedliner. Regarding the TS hitch, as exav8ter said the hitch handle has three postions, 10 o'clock is the unhitch position, 9 o;clock is the hitch position, and 8 o;clock is the locked position. To go from 8 to 10 o.clock to unhitch you must pull a release pin and move the latch handle. When you get ready to hitch up you pull the same pin and move the latch handle to 9 o'clock. When the king pin locks in the jaws the latch handle moves to the 8 o'clock postion. You can verify kingpin capture visually, I also do a pull test as a habit from prior hitches. The fit ot the kingpin box to the Binkley head is often so tight that a standard 1/4" teflon plate will be too thick. I use the thinner(3/16" I think) plate. I assume you will be getting the air bag version of the TS hitch. This will require an air compresser and air lines be run to the hitch. This may be somthing you need to discuss with you dealer or hitch installer. I would recommend an air pressure gauge and inflate/deflate valve be installed in cab for your convience. This is a very good and safe hitch and IMO is worth the cost. I have never had a bedsaver, never needed one, hope I didn't just jinks myself!! Safe travels, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:41 AM   #18
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Paul any dealership that installs a 5th wheel hitch can install the Trailer Saver TS 3, it only requires a set of standard bed rails. I did the install on my Trailer Saver TSLB2H, It required 8, 1/2" bolts. As for a air compressor 12 volt type etc. I never installed the on board compressor. The TS 3 comes with a valve mounted on the hitch and the Air Compressor you carry to keep your 5th wheel tire at the proper pressure can be used to put air in the Air ride hitch. I have a all Air system on the Frieghtliner and I have the gauge but didn't install it I have a valve mount under the rear seat to air up the hitch. It requires very little air. I very seldom have to add air to the hitch. And the 5th wheel should be hooked up to get the proper setting, the hitch comes from the factory with a mark on the hitch to let you know what the Factory recomends. However it will be different depending on the pin weight of the 5th wheel. I also don't believe thru personnal experience that there is a fool proof 5th wheel hitch. GBY....
Old 01-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
Stickdog

M.O.C. #8777
Recently purchased a 2009 F350 CC DRW and am also looking to have a hitch installed and bed liner sprayed on. Linex dealer told me to have the hitch done first they would remove and replace it ensuring a long lasting rust proof job.
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
QUOTE from Stickdog: "Recently purchased a 2009 F350 CC DRW and am also looking to have a hitch installed and bed liner sprayed on. Linex dealer told me to have the hitch done first they would remove and replace it ensuring a long lasting rust proof job."

John, In the "for what it's worth" department, if I had my hitch removed by a paint shop (Linex or anyone else for that matter), I would recheck the install and double check the torque values, all before towing. Hopefully they are used to doing that type of thing, I would just want to be sure.........A lot of $$$$$$$$'s sitting back there. IMHO....