Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Turbo Boost/EGT either or?

I am in a quandary here, just priced egt plus turbo boost gauges and A-post mount installed 700+. the EGT is the butt kicker. It is 400+ and 350 for the install and that is only the EGT. Which is more useful or advantageous to have? The boost gauge is cheaper and easier to install but which is best if you go for the "either/or" route??

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Unfortunately, I think they are both important, but if I had to choose, I would choose the Turbo boost gauge and just hope the EGT is not being stressed. This is the way most trucks are equipped and the manufacturers just hope the owners are NOT hotrodding them which then keeps the EGT down. The turbo really gets spinning real good when going up a hill while you are towing and you mash the accelerator to try to keep speed up. I have been known to back off a little if I see the Turbo gauge getting up there.

I had another truck that had an aftermarket EGT and it was nice having it, but I found when I monitored the turbo gauge and backed off, so did the EGT. However, the EGT gauge is on the wish list just for the best in all types of measurement.

One of these days the big 3 will get smart and will add the EGT gauge as a standard offering along with the Turbo/Gauge, especially for a diesel.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
The EGT is really important if you climb any hills

You should also have a gauge keeping an eye on your transmission fluid temperature as well

Where are you located? On another forum I frequent, I have several acquaintences that sell/install diesel performance products (I have bought from several, and have seen their work - my work I did myself as I'm a mechanic) One is in Eastern Alabama (near Fort Benning) One in Fla (not sure where) and One in Enid, OK

Shoot me a PM and I can get you their contact info if your interested
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Dave, just looked at the JC Whitney online catalog price on a diesel gauge kit for the pillar on your vehicle. It has an electric EGT, electric transmission gauge and a mechanical boost gauge. All this for $240.99 price tag. Something to look into.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We are in Savannah Ga. I guess I should have asked the questions of Duromax owners. Those of you that have installed either or both of these gauges please give me some guidance how hard it is to install the EGT and which end of the Turbo. there seems to be several trains of thought as to proper or best location for the EGT... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is what we use http://www.aeroforcetech.com/
The EGT should be installed pre turbo

this monitors every parameter the Trucks PC does.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
Sounds awfully high, I had mine done for 425.00 installed, turbo, egt. You can buy a Banks system for 1400 and its reads everything digitally. Wish I had known just sold what you need for 250.00 but isn't that the way it always happens, day late and a dollar short.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I ran the boost and EGT gauge in my Duramax and recommend both. Personally if I had to pick one or the other, I would go with the EGT. I had Diprocol gauges mounted in a twin pod on the pillar for $600 at the Chevy dealer.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
They are expensive, especally the EGT gage, and the placement of it preturbo is inportant for a more accurate reading.
I think its another gage to cause more stress when you see it go up.
If your TV is stock and you dont have it chiped why would you even need one, Im not going to put anything on my TV I'll leave it up to the computer and if something goes wrong my dealer can say didnt you see the ETG exceeding the max temp I'll use the coolant gage and when that goes up to high I'll let off the peddel a bit
Old 12-03-2009, 01:46 AM   #10
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I am like Don, my truck is stock and I leave it up to the computer to protect it. My truck does a lot of heavy pulling and the Montana is the lightest thing I pull. I am on my second truck and not a problem with either.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:55 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mudchief

I am like Don, my truck is stock and I leave it up to the computer to protect it. My truck does a lot of heavy pulling and the Montana is the lightest thing I pull. I am on my second truck and not a problem with either.
I believe the Duramax will de-fuel if the EGT gets high. I wouldn't worry about it either, unless you are gonna add a tuner. Then, with the right tuner, it will display all engine data. IIRC, the Edge with Attitude has the display. You can then get a mount for the display that fits above the mirror. Check Ebay if interested.

BTW guys, the Allison comes with a temperature gauge.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:32 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
It never happened on any GM Trucks with the Duramax/Allison we owned but I read some place that the Duramax will go into limp mode if the systems get overheated. The GM Trucks will shut down before you can blow the power plant. But I have never installed a Gadget on any GM Truck we have owned, its just not needed. And on all the later model GM Trucks you have temp gage for the Transmission, and of course you have a temp gage for the cooling system. If you watch your OEM gages and if they go up you just have lift the right foot. I have pull the Rockies and have never had a heat issue. I do believe that the engineers at the Big 3 would have installed any thing thats needed just to make more money off more options. But each persons has different wants, I just don't believe it cost effective, but thats just my thoughts. Dave you probably have, but if you haven't go to Diesel Place and those boys have all kinds of toys and gadgets. Good Luck with your search. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
IMO the EGT is a critical guage to monitor particularly on the newer Diesels with the regeneration function. Look it up.
EGT can get really high. I have read that at @1200 degrees EGT the tips of the turbo blades begin to turn white hot and prolonged operation at that temp is not a good thing. We can easily reach 1200 or better during regen pulling the Montana on a moderate grade. We will back off when the temps hits that temp. Ford does monitor the EGT temps to determine regen but not pre turbo and we can't see the readings without a guage. We drive this truck by the monitor guage and keep it within optimal operational spec's
Old 12-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #14
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
EGT
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_temperature_gauge"

Exhaust gas temperature......
Old 12-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #16
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I think Dave is looking to have gauges for the Turbo and the EGT to help determine when a problem might occur.

My Ford will go into limp mode when there is a problem including when the eng temp gets too high, but with guages, hopefully you can recognize this is going to happen BEFORE it actually happens to help lessen any damage. I do miss my EGT gauge, just like I have learned to love the Turbo, Trans temp, eng temp and fuel gauges. Of all the past gauges I don't really miss the elec/alt gauge because quite honestly it's never helped. When something failed electrical, I didn't need a gauge to figure it out.

Dave - save us the picking and choosing. Just get both! LOL. Keep us posted.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't know how long or how high the EGT would have to go before "limp mode" would kick in. We have seen EGT jump to over 1400 degrees on a steep hard pull. The big ole Ford was roaring along with plenty left and we would not have seen that temp without the guage. IMO many of these turbo failures are caused by pushing them hard and melting the turbo. I need to see what is going on in the motor.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #18
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
I am like Don & Dennis, my truck is stock and I leave it up to the computer to protect it. if you had a chip put in it then maybe so but being stock no way i spend that extra money i have owned 5 diesel trucks from 1997-----2008 and they were stock never had a problem ( well 2006 ford did but it was because of the 6.0 engine )
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #19
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
If your truck is new enough to regen then you probably should have the EGT gauge. Like Rich says, the temps will scare you. My truck will easily excede 1300* just empty going down the freeway when the DPF filter cleans itself. The EGT gauge is also helpful in determining when to shut down the engine. Sometimes it takes a while to reach a safe low temp.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #20
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Don't know how long or how high the EGT would have to go before "limp mode" would kick in. We have seen EGT jump to over 1400 degrees on a steep hard pull. The big ole Ford was roaring along with plenty left and we would not have seen that temp without the guage. IMO many of these turbo failures are caused by pushing them hard and melting the turbo. I need to see what is going on in the motor.
I have the 7.3 ,but EGT still applies,can run all day at 1200-1250, but not over for ANY length of time, I have seen 1400, but got out of the throttle. Mine has had gauges almost since day one, boost, trans, and EGT.IMO they are a must for towing, at least with the older fords, can't speak for the other two, but would think gauges would apply for Chev and Dodge as well. EGT to me is the most important.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote