Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2008, 04:38 AM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Propane flow on water heater

Okay, another question - how do I adjust the propane flow on the water heater? It is burning propane, but it is lackluster and I can smell that it is not burning all of the fuel.

Thanks,

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Michael, I'm no expert in this area, but think the burner control valve is factory preset, and about the only thing you can do is replace it, or call out a local LP repair guy. At least thats what I'd do. I'm sure you will soon get some more ideas from our MOC friends.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You know this but since it is "brand new" if possible work the repair under warranty.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:20 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
You have to adjust the combustion air. Some of them have a small screw that can come loose and let the damper move. Another thing that can cause problems is blockage in the combustion chamber; wasp nests, dobbers, spider webs and such. You can blow it out with compressed air. Heater off of course.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
I agree with Will,
The first thing to check is the burner tube. It doesn't take much to affect the flame, even a small spider web. 1-3 screws hold it on. Remove it and visually check it and brush/blow it out. Make sure when you replace it that it is in alignment with the oriface, if not, this will affect the flame as well.
Most models now do not have an air intake adjustment.
A good propane flame in any appliance should be mostly blue, with a small amount of yellow.
Steve
Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:17 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ontheroad

I agree with Will,
The first thing to check is the burner tube. It doesn't take much to affect the flame, even a small spider web. 1-3 screws hold it on. Remove it and visually check it and brush/blow it out. Make sure when you replace it that it is in alignment with the oriface, if not, this will affect the flame as well.
Most models now do not have an air intake adjustment.
A good propane flame in any appliance should be mostly blue, with a small amount of yellow.
Steve
Steve, I'm glad you mentioned the lack of air adjustment. I've never had to work on our water heater in the Mountaineer. Our water heater on the TT had the air adjustment, and I worked on one for a neighbor in a motorhome where the water heater was turning the side of his unit black. Thanks for covering for me.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
On more than one occasion I have had to use a brush to clear a spider web from the burner tube. As a matter of fact, a brush for that purpose can be purchased from you RV supply store. Since yours is a new unit, that is what I would suspect. It doesn't take long for a small spider to find that orifice and build a web. The air flow adjustment is not a hard thing to do, but check for a clean tube first.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Thanks, everyone.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
Stiles hit it on the head. You have to get a long brush or Q-tip down the tube. Blowing it out, there is just not enough surface area of a spider web for the air to "grab on to" to get it out of there.

wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:02 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would suspect either an airflow issue or propane pressure, could be a badly designed heat exchanger in the heater. I have smelled what you are describing on some units, there is only so muchg you can do on them to improve it. Really stinks doesn't it?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote