Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Awning Lock question

to Ozz and others who have the Awining Lock.

I have installed the Awning Lock that I purchased from Keith Williams website. When first installed, it seemed to work fine. I did not use the awning for a while, but now I am finding that the awing never seems to roll up to the same position. I did a little experimenting today, and am beginning to believe that the awning fabric expands and contracts quite a bit with the temperature. I have even noticed that the hole position will shift a little even when it is rolled up. Tonight when I rolled it up in cooler temperatures, the hole ended up about 1/4 turn short of the pin. Earlier today, when it was hot, the hole was going past the pin.

Anyone else noticing this kind of behaviour?

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
OntMont,
I didn't have that problem with mine or two others that I helped install. One of the things that is cautioned when installing is to mark the spot for the hole, then opening and closing the awning several times, checking the spot each time. This means that you may have to adjust exactly where the hole is drilled. If you find that your hole is too far off you may have to remove the pop rivets on the end cover and rotating it to a point where you can drill a new hole (after re-pop riveting the end cover on, of course).

I'm surprised that you have this problem because it really seemed to be an easy installation for me, and I'm not that handy. Hope you can get it figured out. You may contact Kieth Williams and ask him what you can do.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I did mine the same way Orv did, and have had no problems. I do remember reading where others had the same problem you have, and they will probably have an answer.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:27 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
John, I installed mine in K.C. Mo. When we got to Santa Fe, I used the awning and it was 1" or so off, so I drilled another hole, it works in dry weather and humid conditions now. Just have two holes.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:52 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I think someone mentioned in another post that you needed to let the awning go and slap back the last foot or so. I think they say that helped line up the hole better.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote