Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
kalberro
Established Member

M.O.C. #8177
Question about security lights from a newbie

We finally picked up our 2008 Mountaineer 324RLQ (1st time having a 5er), but now I have few questions. Is there a separate switch for the security light on the drivers side? The passenger light comes on via the switch next to the entrance, but the other side doesn't. And, can I have a Battery Minder hooked up to my two 6 volts batteries while using the trailer (not connected to shore power)? Currently, while stored, I have my batteries disconnected via a switch I installed while the Battery Minder is running.

kalberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I might be sticking my neck out because I don't know the Mountaineer, but on ours the two security lightes are on the same switch which would mean one of your bulbs might be burned out.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:02 AM   #3
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
We have a Mountaineer 298rls and both security lights are on the same switch also.

nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:33 AM   #4
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
More than likely the bulb is burned out.I replace mine often,don't know why I even went to a lower watt bulb and they still burn out.They seem to last about one season.The light over the door is still the original witch is 3 years old
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:34 AM   #5
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Both of my Mountaineer 298rls security lights work off the same switch. You might want to check to see if the bulb is good.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:51 AM   #6
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
Kalberro,
Congrats on getting your new Mountaineer! Sounds like the one bulb is burned out. Ask your dealer next time your in to give you a replacement, or when your at an RV store pick up a bulb called the "scare" bulb. I don't know why they call them that, but I do know they are suppose to be a "heavier duty" bulb and designed for the security lights.

We have had our Montana now for 4 years and have just this year had to change out both bulbs. They went out about a week apart. Have fun in you rig! We know you'll just love it!
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:43 AM   #7
kalberro
Established Member

M.O.C. #8177
Thanks for all the reply's, I figured it was a bulb issue but I wasn't sure. We had a TT for 10 years prior to the Mountaineer and it didn't have all that cool stuff.
kalberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:22 AM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
As others have said, it could be the bulb, but it could be somewhere in the wiring. If it is not too far away, I would let the dealer trouble shoot it, even if it is just a bulb, they are not all that easy to get at and change.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:38 AM   #9
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MelsJoy

Kalberro,
Congrats on getting your new Mountaineer! Sounds like the one bulb is burned out. Ask your dealer next time your in to give you a replacement, or when your at an RV store pick up a bulb called the "scare" bulb. I don't know why they call them that, but I do know they are suppose to be a "heavier duty" bulb and designed for the security lights.

We have had our Montana now for 4 years and have just this year had to change out both bulbs. They went out about a week apart. Have fun in you rig! We know you'll just love it!
My opinion on the term Scare Light.
If someone is making noise prowling around outside at night,you turn on the scare light, Wallah!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:24 AM   #10
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I had the same problem with my trailer, the bulb was loose. Easy fix.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote