Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2006, 01:31 AM   #1
triplewhipp
Established Member

M.O.C. #5467
Converter Problems

I love this site. You guys are all wonderful! We are having a problem with our converter. We woke up the first time in our new home to no heat or refrigerator. The battery was dead. After many calls to our service tech and much cursing we pulled the fuse panel out of the wall in the bathroom. (You should have seen us in that bathroom...it would have made the funniest video show). Actually this was incorrect advice from the tech. All the fuses are right on the panel. They told us there were fuses on the converter itself. We ended up going into town and buying a new battery and some 40 amp fuses. We were very happy because the converter was working after that and when we came back the next week and all was fine. Jim had to disconnect the trailer from the outside power just to do some rearranging and during the night the battery started going dead again. We found the circuit breaker tripped to the converter. We replaced the fuses again and reset the breaker. When we went back this week...no battery...and much spoiled food in the freezer. We reset the breaker and wiggled the fuses and the converter worked for the rest of the weekend. Anybody experience these kinds of problems? Any suggestions?

triplewhipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:20 AM   #2
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
Hey triplewhipp, We kinda had the same thing happen to us the first trip we took. Every thing worked great at first, then we noticed the lights getting dim. The funny thing was when I turnd the kitchen light on the fridge would go out, turn it off the fridge would come on, And at the time we had A few drinks in us so it just made it more interesting. We took it back to the dealer the next day, Picked up a week later and have'nt had a problom since. I'm not quite sure what they did but looking back it was quite funny.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:31 AM   #3
triplewhipp
Established Member

M.O.C. #5467
Thanks for the reply, Dano. I am afraid to leave stuff in the refrigerator now.
triplewhipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:41 AM   #4
gungho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2818
The tech was correct the converter located behind the fuse panel has fuses also! Sounds almost like you had a loose wire?
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:59 AM   #5
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Suggest you check the main ground wire into your 120 volt breaker box, in fact you should check all the connections to make sure they are tight. Look where the wires go into the brass connection in the breaker box and tighten each connection. I had several come loose and track my problem down to the loose connections. Tighten and never had a problem since.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:44 AM   #6
Montana_797
Established Member

M.O.C. #797
In my 06 3475rl the converter that came with it was a 50amp I believe,mine also failed. I took the breaker panel off to access the power converter and found the fuse was intact. The dealership service dept. told me they were having problems with the Iota ( I think thats the name), they came out and replaced it with a 40 amp converter in August and no problems since. Good luck
Montana_797 is offline   Reply With Quote