Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
ramsey5

M.O.C. #4761
Misssion Tires

I have a 2006 Mountaineer 29rk with Mission tires on it(ST235/80R16 Load Rated E). I've heard that many people have had blowouts with theese tires. What tires would be a better choice for my 29rk? While returning from Fontana Speedway in California, there was 30 foot Toyhauler in front of me and he had a blowout... not a pretty thing to see! He left not only parts of the tire all over the freeway but also parts of the trailer's floor, insulation, etc.
Thanks, Richard Ramsey

ramsey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Richard, The term "I have heard" is too quick to be believed. The Mission tires have not been around long enough for them to have formed a reputation good or bad. On our Monty are the Tacoma tires. Before the Mission tires the Tacoma was getting the same type of "I have heard" type reviews. Since we got our rig over 2 1/2 years ago we have had ONE problem with our Tacoma's and that was this week when I discovered a screw in one of them. Hardly the tires fault. However if I hadn't discovered the screw before the tire went flat and completely disintegrated any reasonable explanation of the tire failure is lost and at that point most folks end up blaming the tire manufacturer. Especially if that tire manufacturer is from another country. I spent 14 years in the tire business and we sold every American major brand as well as many imports such as Michelin, Toyo, Pirelli, etc and just like imported autos many imported tires are as good as if not better than the American major brands.
When we were in Florida I met a man that had a blow out on his motor home. He had pictures of the remaining parts of the tire and short of a complete scientific investigation it would have been nearly impossible to find the reason for the failure. Unbelievably he insisted it was the manufacturers fault. The manufacturer was Michelin. If he speaks to someone not knowing the full circumstances than a new "I have heard that Michelin tires are...." has begun.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hi Ramsey,

Your question (a good one) has been broadly discussed. Like Tow Vehicles, there is a wide array of opinion about tires. I might suggest you use your search engine at the top right corner to pick up on the threads discussing tires. I decided to go with 14-ply G-rates trailer tires, but others have chosen differently. They have reasoned through their decisions as I have mine. Do your research and make the decision you feel safe and comfortable with. Remember, the inflated tire that will never have a blowout doesn't exist.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Quote:
quote:I spent 14 years in the tire business and we sold every American major brand as well as many imports such as Michelin, Toyo, Pirelli, etc and just like imported autos many imported tires are as good as if not better than the American major brands.
Glenn ... I am glad to discover your years of experience in the tire industry. Now I have someone specific to whom I can address my stupid questions about tires!! I am among those who are skeptical about the quality of the Tacomas on my Monty. Nonetheless, I have decided to stay with them for now, keep the pressures where they should be and keep my driving speed at a max of 100 km/hour (62.5 mph). This afternoon, I saw a set of new Goodyear G614 RSTs mounted on Alcoa rims on a friend's new Mobile Suites RV. That is one very nice set of wheels and tires!

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:03 AM   #5
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Can't really say about the Mission tires that came on my Montana, as I got rid of them as soon as I got home from picking up the new rig. I have had two blowouts and a tread separation with Carlisle tires, another Chinese brand, and quite frankly I got tired of looking in my rearview mirror all the time in fear of another blowout. The first one did $1600.00 damage to my previous trailer, and the second $675.00. I replaced the Missions with Goodyear Commercial T/A LT tires on the new rig, and I feel that it's worth it for the peace of mind.

Others may have a different opinion, and that's fine, but mine is that Chinese tires are junk, and our safety comes first.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Things I don't understand about this tire thing. I make no comment about which tire is good or which tires is bad. I see the same issues with all brands of tires.Although the E rated tires are within spec's for the campers we haul, perhaps just within specs with little added margin for safety, but withing specs all the same ,Many folks will go to the F or G rated tires for that extra margin of safety or peace mind....yet... will tow with a 3/4 ton truck that does not meet the weight specification in one or more areas with no thought to that extra margin of safety or peace of mind...I don't understand???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote