Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2006, 05:20 AM   #21
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
David,
Thanks for the picture and web site. After talking all last evening about our adventure we have decided what we did was put the one battery we had taken out in backwards to what it was. We both remember the wire crisscrossing which would be right if the batteries were in opposing direction. We put the one back in the way the other one is and so the crisscross ended with pos to neg. We don't know if we should hook them up right now or take that battery out again and turn it. Is there an advantage to having them in opposing or a disadvantage to them being in alike?
Thanks to all for the prayers and good thoughts. Nancy (Ed's sister-in-law) has pancreatic cancer and was doing really good until about 2 weeks ago.
Happy trails...................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:21 AM   #22
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Sue, the placement or orientation of the batteries really does not matter. What matters is whether they are wired in SERIES or in PARALLEL. If they are 12 volt batteries they MUST be wired in parallel: (Positive to positive, negative to negative from one battery to the other). Otherwise, if wired in series they will produce 24 volt output which you DO NOT WANT.

If they are 6 volt batteries (as mine are) they MUST be wired in SERIES (positive to negative --from one battery to the other) else they would produce only 6 volt output which you DO NOT WANT.

There was a long discussion of this on the forum a year or so ago, and based on that and other helpful information I replaced my one 12 volt battery with 2 6 volt golf cart batteries and have been well pleased with the result.

The fire was almost surely caused by a "direct short circuit" when the post was touched with the wire. I have just learned that DC current is more likely to "arc" dangerously than AC. But that comment should probably be left to another time.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:56 AM   #23
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
We have just learned that Ed's sister-in-law passed on late last evening. She put up a good fight but it was her time although to young - 70.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:30 AM   #24
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Sue & Ed So sorry to read of the passing of your loved one. You're in our thoughts and prayers at this difficult time. Larry & LaVonne
Old 01-22-2006, 07:42 AM   #25
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Sue and Ed,
I am so sorry to learn of your loss. Our thoughts are with you folks.

Also very sorry to hear of your battery problem. That you can fix easily and quickly.

Take care,

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:36 AM   #26
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
The final negative that goes to ground should go on last to avoid sparks. I am very sorry to hear of all your troubles.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:21 AM   #27
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sue, we are so sorry to hear your sad news. Our sympathy and prayers go out to you and your family.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:50 AM   #28
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
Sue, so sorry to hear of the passing of Ed's sister. Our thoughts and prayers are surely with you and Ed.
Countrygirl or Shirley
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #29
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Sue here are some links for you on the wiring I sent you my home LL if any questions.

http://tinypic.com/mh387s.jpg

http://tinypic.com/mh38mc.jpg

http://tinypic.com/mh38yx.jpg

http://tinypic.com/mh3aeh.jpg

http://tinypic.com/mh3ayo.jpg

http://tinypic.com/mh3b7c.jpg

http://tinypic.com/mh3bkx.jpg
Old 01-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #30
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Don
Thank you so much for doing this. I got all the pictures on thr 2nd send. We just got home and I haven't had a chance to email you back to thank you. It really helps to see what we need to do.
Happy trails.............................
Old 01-22-2006, 04:26 PM   #31
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Sue and Ed,

Sorry to hear of your loss. You are in our prayers.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:20 PM   #32
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sorry for your loss, Sue & Ed. I hope there is something to celebrate about her life - and the people she touched.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:29 PM   #33
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
There's always going to be someone like me who comes along.... so I will throw myself on the grenade.

Who can show me four (4) 6v golf cart batteries all hooked up for 12v? I know this is done. I think I can guess but I hear that it may cause flames. Already been there... done that (remember my Jr High home electromagnet experiment and an AC house socket)??? I will wait for the experts on this one.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:56 PM   #34
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Dave,
Hook two of the batteries in series (negative on one battery to positive of other battery. Then hook the other two batteries the same way. Now you have two sets of batteries, each providing 12 Volts. Now, you'll have to connect the two positive posts together and the two negative posts together. You can then connect a cable from the positive posts to where it is supposed to go and another cable from the negative posts to where it is supposed to go. (I don't know your setup so that's about as far as I can go.) I don't have a picture to show you since I have two 12V Lifeline batteries connected in parallel in my rig. With the setup I've described with the 6V batteries, you will have two sets of 12V batteries connected in parallel like my 12V batteries are.

Don't know if this helps you or not, but I wanted to try.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:28 PM   #35
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Orv. That's kind of what I had pictured in my mind (w/o the flames). I had read somewhere that there is an advantage to 4, 6v batts vs 2, 12v batts. Can't remember what it was??? It sure isn't cutting down on the required space needed to hold all the batteries.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:45 PM   #36
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I re-read your post Orv. I changed my mind - I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about after you have the two different sets of batteries ready to be hooked together?
Old 01-22-2006, 08:35 PM   #37
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Ed and Sue, Sorry for your loss.

Dave, Orv told you how to hook up the pair of series six volt in parallel. Using the picture provided above I modified them for two pair of six volt batteries. Remember to put a Fuse or circuit braker on the 12 Volt lead close to the batteries for safety.

Good luck and tow safe
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:59 AM   #38
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Boy, I'm just full of questions on this... sorry guys. H. John, That's a terrific diagram... just what I was looking for. Thanks!

I want "series" with this setup, not "parallel", right? Parallel would be 24v? H. John, could you show me where on that diagram you put the breaker/fuse? Also... if fuse, what rating?

Also, I know I heard there's an advantage... can't remember what it was. Just remember on another forum thinking that this was what I wanted to setup. Also, if this was not an advantage, this conversation would never even have come up on these forums, and everyone would never talk about anything except 12v batts. What was the advantage?
Old 01-23-2006, 10:03 AM   #39
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Boy,

I want "series" with this setup, not "parallel", right? Parallel would be 24v? H. John, could you show me where on that diagram you put the breaker/fuse? Also... if fuse, what rating?
I would hook up the fuse on the + ( positive) side of the batteries Dave, if there ever was a short you want that Pos post or conection to be disconected.
OH! sorry I would use a 50 amp automatic reset fuse too.
TT2

Dave dont you already have the fuse and wiring set up in your trailer? all you are doing is putting in 4 6VDC batteries or 2 . just hook up the pos to pos and the ground to ground.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:24 AM   #40
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
No, I am ordering a 2006 3400 neat the end of March, and I want 2 pairs of 6v batts set up. Probably can't order that out of the factory. Sounds like they are coming out of the plant now with two 12v, according to Sue.

TT2, are you saying that they should supply this fuse/breaker on my new Montana?