Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2006, 05:23 AM   #1
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Aluminum Wheel Failure

I had one wheel develop a leak (right through the casting, not at the bead) during my warranty period and it was replaced by Montana. I am out of the warranty now, and have just had another failure of a wheel with a crack developing in the same place. Two questions: First, do any of you know who might be the wheel manufacturer so I might contact them for possible warranty replacement since I am sure this is a defect. Secondly, have any of you had a similar problem... ...were you able to procure a replacement of the wheel without having to buy a new one?

Finally, who might be a rep at Montana that I could contact about the problem? (e-mail and tel number would be appreciated)

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:33 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Karl,
Sorry to hear you are having some problems with the wheels on your coach. My first call would be back to Keystone (575)535-2100 and talk with customer service. I have read many stories on this forum about Keystone stepping up to the plate and going the extra mile to make things right on the Montana.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:35 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We had one aluminum wheel develop a hairline crack next to the valve stem when the rig was 3 years old. Keystone replaced it even though out of warranty.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
Diamond
Established Member

M.O.C. #715
Karl,

Don't know if you have solved your problem yet, but there was a recall made this past fall on a number of Montys. Unfortunately, the recall was on units made from 5/1/03 to 4/30/04 and included serial numbers between 506030 and 510774. Doesn't sound like you fall in that category, but we had the exact same problem. Over a 9 month period, all 4 of our aluminum rims had a hairline crack. Originally, Keystone referrred us to the rim manufacturer (Tred-It) and Tred-It replaced the rim at no cost to us (except having to have a tire place put the new rim on the tire). We went thru this exercise 3 times with Tred-It and after the 3rd rim went, they sent us 2 to be sure all the rims were new ones. When one of the replacement rims went a month later, we called Keystone CS and were then told about the recall. The recall involves the mating surface between the hub and the wheel, not necesarily the cracking defect, but since we fell into the recall category, they replaced all 4 of our rims at no charge at a Monty dealer.
If you have the star-shaped rim, those are the problem. They seem to get stress cracks from the trailer weight. If you are like us, we luckily never had a problem while we were moving, but the tire would be flat the next morning. Our new rims are solid (like the standard steel rims you see) but these are aluminum so they look nice. So far - these are working well. If you cannot get in under the recall with Keystone, let us know and we will give you more info on Tred-It.

Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:54 AM   #5
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
I agree with montanasky
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:02 AM   #6
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Thanks for the info. I did get the supplier's number from Montana, and a new wheel has been shipped. Tred-it (the supplier) also sent a note telling me to send them the receipts for changing and mounting so they could reimburse me for that as well. All in all, I am very well satisfied with the resolution of the wheel situation.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:39 AM   #7
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I'm glad you got a resolution to your problem.

I have always been a little afraid of my aluminum rims since I found the Mfgr stamp on the rims for a max pressure of 60PSI, even thaough Montana calls for 65. So far so good.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Karl,
I am glad to hear that Keystone and the wheel supplier have stepped up once again. Sure makes me happy that I own a Montana.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:56 PM   #9
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Montana Sky, I'll second that. Nice to know Keystone will back their products.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:45 PM   #10
w4nfr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #646
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Diamond

Karl,

Don't know if you have solved your problem yet, but there was a recall made this past fall on a number of Montys. Unfortunately, the recall was on units made from 5/1/03 to 4/30/04 and included serial numbers between 506030 and 510774. Doesn't sound like you fall in that category, but we had the exact same problem. Over a 9 month period, all 4 of our aluminum rims had a hairline crack. Originally, Keystone referrred us to the rim manufacturer (Tred-It) and Tred-It replaced the rim at no cost to us (except having to have a tire place put the new rim on the tire). We went thru this exercise 3 times with Tred-It and after the 3rd rim went, they sent us 2 to be sure all the rims were new ones. When one of the replacement rims went a month later, we called Keystone CS and were then told about the recall. The recall involves the mating surface between the hub and the wheel, not necesarily the cracking defect, but since we fell into the recall category, they replaced all 4 of our rims at no charge at a Monty dealer.
If you have the star-shaped rim, those are the problem. They seem to get stress cracks from the trailer weight. If you are like us, we luckily never had a problem while we were moving, but the tire would be flat the next morning. Our new rims are solid (like the standard steel rims you see) but these are aluminum so they look nice. So far - these are working well. If you cannot get in under the recall with Keystone, let us know and we will give you more info on Tred-It.

Glad Keystone is finally admitting they had a problem. When i called the last May 2005 up in Wyoming, they said they were not aware of any wheel failures?
I had 3 of the Aluminum wheels fail by developing cracks in the rim. I was on the road, no Montana dealer is site. So I went to the closest tire shop and got 4 new steel RV rims and had the tires remounted. The aluminum wheels looked good, but I could not trust them. Of course no offer from Keystone to pay for the new rims.
So far they (steel rims) have held up and hold air.
w4nfr is offline   Reply With Quote