Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2005, 02:09 AM   #1
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Kitchen Floor Wet!

On our last trip.... all of 100 miles.... we noticed a wet kitchen floor when we arrived at RV park. Thought sure we had broken a water line. But as we started to investigate we found the drain connections under the sink had worked loose.

The water supply connections all seemed tight and had no water on them. The reason the floor and carpet was so wet was because we had the water pump in the ON position and the kitchen faucet must have been ON just a little bit. If it had been OFF we probably wouldn't have noticed the leak. But it also points out the problem of traveling with the water pump switch in the ON setting.

So we're adding to our "check often" list the connections under the sinks. With all the bumping that goes on with our rigs I'm surprised it took 4 years to show up!

HamRad

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:05 AM   #2
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Didn't take us 4 years....We have had it happen 3 times already and we have only had the Monty since April....We are learning to check that before we even take off anywhere..Hate cleaning up a mess after traveling a long day...We just want to put the slides out and relax. But no I have to immediatly start cleaning up...So I have learned that it is just easier to go in before we take off and inspect everything that might make a mess.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:22 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Paul and Kathi,
Sorry to hear about you water leak. Is it the drain pipes that came loose? And I assume you have your water pump on too?

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:08 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We learned to always turn the water pump off when our toilet stuck in the on position and overflowed (thank goodness it was clean water). At least we knew our seal was working as the water did not go down until we flushed. Now the water pump is on our list also. However, when it got left on was inroute when we stopped for a potty break. So we have to remember to shut if off before we lock the door.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:48 AM   #5
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Making sure the water pump is off after we stop for a potty break, or whatever, is one of my big stumbling blocks. We've stopped more than once after we get going so I can run back and check. 99% of the time I've turned it off, but it's one of those automatic things that you do without thinking most of the time and can't remember doing it. Or is that just age?
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:19 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sunshine

Making sure the water pump is off after we stop for a potty break, or whatever, is one of my big stumbling blocks. We've stopped more than once after we get going so I can run back and check. 99% of the time I've turned it off, but it's one of those automatic things that you do without thinking most of the time and can't remember doing it. Or is that just age?
Happens to all of us!
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:41 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Do you mean "happens to all of us" as age - CRS?
Happy trails.................
Old 11-28-2005, 12:32 PM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Not quite the same thing, but we once noticed a neighbour's trailer had water pouring out of the doors. We knew they had gone away for the whole day. We went over and turned off their water supply. Turned out "someone" had left a tap running... Now I always tell myself that we will turn of the water supply when we leave for a long time, but I usually forget!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:16 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
John and Donna
Yes that has always been our routine. When we were parked while I was working, we would come back home for a week or two and leave the unit up north. We always turned off the water as our previous 5er had a lot of water pipe leaks. It is also a good idea for anyone leaving their stick house for any lenth of time. Washer hoses also spring leaks.
Happy trails......................
Old 11-28-2005, 04:50 PM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I didn't turn mine off one time and bumped it just enugh to make a real slow run, I was fortunate enugh to hear the pump cycle before I exited the rig, I then started to look for the problem, and didnt have far to go, it was dripping off the counter to the floor. The head was turned over the counter when the knob was bumped. So as the other post do, I now make sure that pump is turned off. Lucky me that could have been a lot of water running.

Dennis are you in Santa Paula?
Old 01-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #11
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
After reading some of the stories in this post makes m feel less like a nincompoop. The morning after we took delivery of our Monty I decided I was going to wash down all the interior surfaces. I started to fill the kitchen sink with hot water to ring out the sponge, went into the bedroom and got into another project and completely forgot about the running water. 5 minutes latter I heard Sherry frantically shouting WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!! Just like that a bell went off in me head, THE WATER! Water ran across the backsplash into the range and out the door. Had to tear everything apart to dry and sanitize. Sherry kept reminding me that it was less than 20 hours old. Really felt like a fool.
Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:19 PM   #12
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Also remember that the water pumo is not made to run for a very long time without any water. You can easily burn up the motor if it runs for quite a while dry. Thought I'd come close a couple times, but now check to see if it is off at least 3 times before we start moving!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote