Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2006, 04:58 AM   #21
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Unless they change things on th 2006 3400, I was planning on tackling this water pump noise upon receiving my unit this spring. I am starting to have second thoughts about doing it myself. I am now thinking of a plan A or Plan B.

Plan A: since there will be a few dealers being asked to submit bids, I am sure at least one of them might be willing to address my concern before I take delivery.

Plan B: Have LarrynGail volunteer to fly from CA to MI and fix it for me. Maybe that should be Plan G, or H... or even Z?

I've always heard it's not the "favor" that is a problem... It's the expected "return favor" will mess you up.

Happy New Year everyone!

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:53 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave..first of all you can not be sure if it will be noisy till you get the camper.It might be OK..and ..we do not use our pump all that much so even if it is noisy it may not be a issue.From what we saw at the factory most of the problem is in the pump area itself..not shock insulated to the floor..a easy fix..solid connections from the pump to the water lines..another easy fix. Water lines banging against walls and floors..a few extra tie downs..easy fix. If they let me build my Montana like I think it should be built it would take about a month to come off the line and cost 10 or 15K more money. Meanwhile I can just bring it Home and get it the way I want it for a couple of hundred $..if that..Most do that on any and evey Rv they have ever had..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:42 AM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have camped in RV's where the water pump sounds like a M16 on "Full Auto". Going a weekend with that is tolerable. FTing with that is out of the question. I don't imagine any mfrs actually put water in these units at the shows, so you can test things out, do they?

*On Edit~ Remember... my four shoulder surgeries in the past 18 months are not going to allow me to do a lot of after market mods.

Actually, I did put in a garbage disposal under our sink a month or so ago by myself. Only residual effect was that Cheryl had a heart attack when she came home and saw what I had done, and also 3 days of Vicadin. Disposal works good... refilled my Rx... don't see what all the fuss was about. Cheryl does watch me a lot closer, though, so I "don't try something stupid like that again". (I think she has spies, now too.)
Old 01-01-2006, 07:08 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
At our Rv show fluids of any kind are not allowed.Unless you are a serious dry camper you are on CG water most of the time and the pump is not used. We always travel with 1/3 tank of water and only use the pump for stops along the way. The pump noise on the 3670 that our friends got this summer sounded as you described but we had it quieted down with little effort.90% of the noise was from pipes beating on the walls. Tie downs and cable clamps solved that problem. Be prepared to climb all over the Montana's we see at the Toledo show..We are compiling a list of things we want to check on. Like// what are the recliner chairs made of..and mattress construction.We have seen these things at the factory..checking for improvements.. We are kind of picky when we are about to spend 40K or so...
Old 01-02-2006, 04:59 AM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Rich. Our older RV ran the pump even when hooked up. But I understand what you are saying. I feel better about this issue now. Sounds like it really is no big concern anymore.

Cheryl and I will want to try some dry camping, but it sounds like the noise issue has been addressed, to a more reasonable point. I remember wincing just as went to turn on the faucet, anticipating the racket that I knew was coming.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:50 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Some folks love dry camping and that's just fine..However I've got a camper with all the comforts of home and we like to use everyone of them.We dry camped for years, Tents, Pop ups, Etc,Still have all the equipment, Coleman stoves, lights, the works. However there are times when you may have to dry camp and we have done that, Some state and Federal campgrounds. The noisy water pump is way down on my list of concerns.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:33 AM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We have 51 acres of hunting land about 42 miles south of us, between Manton and Lake City. We would probably try to spend some time there occasionally. That would be strictly dry camping.