Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2005, 04:53 AM   #1
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
More 110V issues..... blinking lights.

We had our rig in a local campground for a good week and a half, partly to really get to know it and partly to work on it.

When I was bringing in the slides the other day to put it away, I had the ceiling fan light on. While the slides were in motion, the light blinks on & off!!!!! I replaced the bulb myself when we picked up the rig so I'm sure it is screwed in tight.

My opinion of Keystone wiring design/integrity keeps dropping.

Has anyone else seen anything like that? This got added to the top of my "investigate" list....

Eric

Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 05:52 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
it may just be a drain to the system. does it cause a major drain or just get dim.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:10 AM   #3
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyRay

it may just be a drain to the system. does it cause a major drain or just get dim.
Can't be. The hydraulic pump is 12V and is primarily fed from the battery. Won't have any measurable effect on the 110V system.

The light completely blinks off, then back on. There is a loose wire somewhere.... Loose connections can get pretty hot if enough current is drawn through them (fire time!) so I'm concerned about where it is. If it is up in the light fixture itself, then a hot connection is unlikely. If it is somewhere else upstream of an outlet, then it could be "BAD". I'm also hoping that it isn't a wire that is about to short out somehow

OTOH, I did have a connection on an outlet get loose on our old TT once. It can happen to anyone.... That one bothered me since the outlet I routinely plugged our electric heater in was downstream of that loose wire. Could have cause a problem but didn't (Thank God for that. I've heard a statistic that start of fire to smoking frame for an RV is in the order of 10-15 minutes!) I pulled every outlet in that TT and checked all the connections but the rest were OK.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 02:58 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
When we're moving the slides we will get a blinking and dimming of lights in the coach. I've never had any light go completely off and on while doing this but the power drain does cause a slight dimming of both the 12 volt as well as the 110 lights in our rig.

What we've found when we had something going completely off was that there was a loose wire somewhere in the circuit. So we just started checking and tightening all the connections. Once we chased down and fixed all the loose connections we've had relatively few outages. In the 12v part of the system we've found defective switches and loose ground wires to be the major culprits.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote