Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2005, 11:31 PM   #1
mikedesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3083
Hitch Pin Adjustment

I have a question concerning the hitch pin. I need to lower mine down to the lower set of holes in order to get the proper clearance on my truck. I would rather do this than raise my hitch up. Has anyone had this done and do you know if it is acceptable. When I reurn home I will check with my dealer. You would have thought they would have made the proper adjustments.

mikedesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:21 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've done it and there's no reason why it would not be acceptable. That pinbox is heavy, though, so be sure you have some help or some way to support the box. It's long enough that there's a lot of leverage, making it both awkward and difficult for one person to maneuver while trying to insert the bolts. I was not successful in leaving the bolts loosely in place on one side while moving the box down a notch on the other. Just didn't line up.

I found it far easier to change the hitch in the truck. I got mine too high on this truck and plan to lower it one hole before we leave here. Both hitch and pinbox adjustments are acceptable as far as I know.

I also tried hitching pin to truck to support that end of the box. Landing gear on the FW was down, naturally. That didn't work, either. Removed the bolts from the pinbox but lowering the box swings it in an arc with the pin/hitch as the axis and the holes would not line up. Moving the truck the exact amount was not simple, either. I finally just got someone to help me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
jerryb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #137
You will need a big impact wrench, with a lot of air, those nuts are tight. I did mine with the pin box resting on a loader bucket. If you don't have a lot of tools it may be easier to let the dealer do it.
jerryb is offline   Reply With Quote