Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Propane problem

Just found out a troubling occurance with my propane system. I took the right front propane tank out to have it refilled. I had turned on the left propane tank previously and left to fill my empty tank. When I got back, I smelled and heard a propane leak. My regulator was pointing to the removed tank position and the green/red regulator indicator was displaying both colors which is normal for reduced flow from second tank. I did not think this would occur (obviously or I would have turned off the other tank). Guess I don't understand the system!!!!!

illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You must switch your regulator lever to the full tank before removing the empty tank to get it filled. This seems to be a very common thing. We get in a hurry to fill the empty but forget to switch the lever. It happens to everyone at some time or other
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I always switch my tank before disconnecting the empty tank. When I disconnect the empty tank I listen and smell for the flowing LPG before I close the door.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:57 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree with Orv. With the lever pointing to the empty side, that line is still open but since there is no flow towards the regulator from that side it is drawing from the full side. You might experiment and disconnect the hose from one tank while the regulator is pointing to the other and confirm your regulator is not the problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:57 PM   #5
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
I have posted this before, but I have a problem with our propane regulator. With the right tank selected and the left tank installed, it works as advertised. But if you select the left tank, the regulator will leak. If you remove the right tank, the propane will leak from the left tank. If you remove the left tank, the propane will leak out the left line.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 03:39 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mobilrvn, sounds like your regulator is defective. I'm assuming you have the handle pointing to the tank that is installed. In that case the other side should not leak when the tank is removed. If it does, then something is wrong with the regulator. Maybe I misunderstand your situation?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I agree with Steve. If you are getting leaks when you are using the tanks as designed, then something has to be wrong with the regulator.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 05:12 AM   #8
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
This is not meant to be offensive because it is hard to tell how much knowledge a person has when reading a post. The long part of the handle is what points to the active tank. Not the head part on the middle of the regulator. If this is confused this problem could happen.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:49 AM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I agree with HomeOnTheRoad on this one. Turn on the left tank. Point the selector to that tank. Turn off the right tank. Does it work and not leak? Disconnect the right tank. Other than a small amount of residual propane there should be none coming out the disconnected line.

Now do the same thing on the left side.

All your propane must go through the same and only regulator...... if it is good with one tank it should be good with both. It is the ONLY regulator you have. There might be a connection problem or a broken pipe or connection of some sort into the regulator. But if it is working with one side but not the other that just isn't logical.

If you've checked all the physical connections for leaks and you're absolutely sure you're pointing the selector the proper direction etc..... Then get the rig in to the dealer for a replacement regulator. Leaking gas is nothing to mess with! Good luck

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote