Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I wonder about oil recycling....

In California, anyone who sells automotive oil is supposed to take back used oil, but after the second trip to my local Pep Boys and the jerk of a service tech said "we're full" the second time even though it was a week later and they should have been empty and as I looked in the service bays at a car getting it's oil changed, told me I am not shopping there any more even though they are the closest parts store.

However, I was wondering? I'm thinking of converting to synthetic at my next oil change. When I start changing synthetic oil out, are these same reclamation centers allowed to take and mix this oil with the conventional oil? Are the oil processing plants able to work with these oils.

Do all fluids like this get mixed in, like differential fluid, brake fluid, trans fluid, etc.?

I don't know how this works but am very curious.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It came out of the ground so what is the problem with returning it back into the ground. Did that all the time ..way back when and the planet is still here. If only I could convince Helen of that..

Since I do not change my own oil I have no idea what happens to it..maybe it does get dumped somewhere..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Partial answer is that the following go in the same recycle tank - synthetic and regular oils for engine, gear boxes and differentials.
I too would like to know about auto tranny fluid and brake fluid.
Thanks
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Don't mix brake fluid in with the oil. I'm not sure why but I did it once and the recycling center just about called the cops on me.

I mix dino oil, synthetics, and tranny fluid all the time and there has never been a problem.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
I have a 25 gallon drum in my garage that I store used synthetic and dino together.... Never had a problem when I empty the drum other than that they checked a couple of times to make sure I didn't mix coolant in it.
08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #6
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
I take used synthetic and regular oil to a repair shop in town. They gladly will take both because they burn both in an oil fired heater. Many repair centers and garages have oil fired furnaces but will always ask you if there is brake fluid in the oil. They absolutely do not want brake fluid.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:06 AM   #7
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
Here in Clovis,Ca.we can put up to 2 1/2 gal.of used oil at the curb on garbage and recycle day each week.
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:18 AM   #8
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I think brake fluid like to absorb moisture, maybe that's it.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:54 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Great info. Thanks all. I can mix dino, & synthetic, and probably the diff and tranny fluids. I'll keep brake fluid and the coolant (thanks for mentioning this one) separate from everything.

Keep them ideas coming.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:57 AM   #10
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
My local guy says he get ten to fifteen cents a gallon for recycled oil. Has far as mixing the oil he has it all gos back to the refiner here its Marathon oil and is re cracked in the same way as crude oil. Never had problems with AutoZone or Advanced Auto FYI.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:35 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
What I find interresting is that from what they say oil does not loose its chemical statis it just get dirty, the oil manufactures and the car companies have us changing our oil every 5 to 6 K miles if you were to put that on paper for the amount of vehicles in the USA it would add up to a bunch of crude. why cant they reuse this oil after it has been cleaned in other areas of manufactureing.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:17 AM   #12
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I remeber when I was a kid and had an oil burnin Chevy, I used to buy "Reclaimed" Oil. Was in a rack outside by the pump in a glass jar with a metal screw on pour spout. They deliverd milk back the also.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #13
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
"why cant they reuse this oil after it has been cleaned in other areas of manufactureing."
Don:
Many companies west of the Mississippi do use reclaimed oil. We have a good sized company here in Wichita that takes in used oil by the semi load daily. It goes thru a cleaning process and is placed in storage tanks dependent on it's base ingredients. When an order for oil comes in, they blend in additives per specs for whatever product they are making, put in 55 gal drums, and send it off to the customer. The company I work for has been using reclaimed oil with no issues and we buy it by the semi load every month. The reclaimed oil company even accepts dump trucks of oil filters that are shredded and compressed. This oil is also eventually processed.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #14
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Here in Portland (OR) there is a large company that takes used lubricating oil of all kinds and re-refines it. The demand now is for diesel, and they take the old motor oil, etc, and "re-crack" it into diesel. They also take in old oil filters, burn them in a huge boiler which is making hot water/steam for the rest of the process, and recycle the scrap steel left over. Nothing goes to waste. Even the leftover ash is used as an additive in making pavement for redoing road surfaces.
Regarding the brake fluid, it is very flammable, almost like gas (don't ask how I know), and very bad for any painted surface. Just spill some on your paint job and find out what happens. That may be why they don't want it in with the used oil.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Up here in BC, Canadian tire takes used oil, but you just take your containers of oil and leave the whole container on a rack outside the store.

Years ago before pollution was such a problem we burned our used oil in our old salamander smug pots to help keep us warm in the winter. Maybe that is why I have this coughing problem today?
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:42 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In the "old days: it was common to reuse oil. family had trucks and and saved all oil to be cleaned and re used. Marketing makes us do what marketing wants us to do.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote