Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
William Schelling
Established Member

M.O.C. #6701
Drain Pipe

I have an 07 3650RL and my bathroom drain pipe is under the living room slide. It looks like I could cut it off and move it more towards the front. By doing this, I could reach the valve while the slide is out. Would there be any problem with reattaching the support brackets underneath?

William Schelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
As long as there is support for the pipe every 3' or so, (off the top of my head) and you screw into a beam for good support. Just make the whole drain rigid, with no flex.
I have to say I do not know your piping set up, so I can't speak to it in detail.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
If I think I know what you are describing, it sounds like mine. The drain is just far enough under the slide to cause me to crouch in the mud to get to it during set up and tear down (mine is the kitchen slide).

You're proposal of moving it forward definately sounds like a benefit.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Something that might be a concern with that mod. is that the drain line will then be left full of water that could possibly freeze. I think that the reason Keystone places the valves where they do, is so the lines are not left full. That said, if you leave the existing valve in place, and just add an extra valve, you could always close the original valve, and drain the line in freezing weather. I have an extra valve at the outlet of my 3" drain, and it has the same potential problem.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
I cut the 3" line and the 1 1/2 sink line. Moved the discharge so it is 2' closer to the front. Works great.

2007 3400RL
1999 Volvo 610 pickup
2008 Smart
robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
William Schelling
Established Member

M.O.C. #6701
Thanks ya'all
I think I am going to do it
Old 03-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Bill, we have the same rig you do. Hated the dual drains. So, I moved them to one location. First, I put in a cleanout valve under the tank. Second, I moved the valve to the edge of the slide as you have suggested. Also, I connected the galley into the existing gray/black drain using a 2" pipe and now only have one dump valve. Love it. It has not frozen and we live in Alaska full time in our rig. I had a black tank problem back in January and ended up making the mods. I posted the photos online. Look for my wife's thread called "Here's what I've learned and I'm naming names..." Good luck.
Bernie
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:44 AM   #8
William Schelling
Established Member

M.O.C. #6701
Bernie, Thanks for the info. I never thought of redoing the entire system but sure makes sense. I also do not like the dual valves. Did you run everything to the kitchen or towards the front. I don't know how to find the threads but it would be nice to see your pictures. Did you use any special brackets for the supports? I'm worried about going through the enclosed bottom. I don't like drilling blind. With my luck I would go straight through a main wire.........ha ha Also, does it clear the suspension ok?

PS You sure have a beautiful location up there!!!!