Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
homemade Electric service chord

What do you think ?

I have the need for a longer Service Chord. I plan to make my on heavy duty 75' long service chord by using 4 guage (aluminium with 3 wires that I already have) and connecting 30 amp Pig Tail connectors to each end of the wire. The electric connections will be handled with lugs. I plan to cover the connections with electric rubber wrap and covered again with a heavy rubber hose etc. for futher protection.

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
I am an electrician on Long Island and I would not use aluminum for anything. Fot that run you only need #10 copper and voltage drop is nothing. I've never seen anyone at a campground that far from an outlet and if you need it for home use you would be better off moving the outlet closer. If your rig has a 50 amp service you can use the 50 amp cord from the trailer then adapt down to a 30 amp cord and kill 2 birds .... you know. Hope this helps.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
jwedell

Thanks for the response,

I understand aluminum wire is not desirable, but I aquired this wire through a electric utility company and was told that much of the power lines are aluminum wire.

At my farm the electric panel with receptacle is located about 75 feet to where I want to park my trailer. I need to extend the electric reach to my trailer.
Are you saying it would be better I use a 75 feet of 10 guage copper wire than the 4 guage aluminum wire ?

Old 03-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
GMcCall,
Cooper is always better as a conductor but aluminum works fine as well. When running long runs for mobile homes, etc we always use direct bury #4 or #2 Aluminum 4 wire. Doing building electrical work also use aluminum direct from transformers to panels as well. I would agree that you are better off using some direct bury wire and running yourself an RV outlet to your camper from a panel box at your house or farm building. I suggest 50amp since that is what you have. Use this link to help you has both 30, 50 amp plus voltage drop calculator see link
MyRV Electrical
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Greg- I'm with jwedell on the use of aluminum wire! Granted it came from the power/utility company and all and they may use it for their uses, but as far as I'm concerned copper is your best choice and I go with Broome101 on putting in a buried cable and receptical to the area of your rig. It may be a little more cost but it would be the safe way to go! A 75 foot run is a long run for a shore cord anyway! The weight alone would be enough for me when you go to coil it up! If you plan to keep the rig at that location for storing it, I'd go with the buried cable and a receptical box with a breaker at the main or sub panel.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:28 AM   #6
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Thanks again for the responses.
I will look into my options.

My set up is.....
I have a 200 amp panel box (for the future) with a single 30Amp Weather Proof RV receptacle box and another weather proof duplex 20 amp receptacle box on a seperate breaker for now. The Electric company would only go into my property so far with their electric wire without extra charge and my meter pole and panel box had to be close to their service pole. That is not where I wanted my trailer pad so I plan to extend the service line in the near furure.

SO.what about the connectors ?
Can I connect the large 4 guage aluminum wire to the pigtail connectors that already will have the right 30 amp connections with lugs that have the screws ? Not sure of the proper name for the aluminum looking lugs you can buy at Lowe's or HomeDepot. (I understand that I need to use a paste for corrosion on the aluminum wire)
Also if I chose to go directly to my panel box with this 4 guage wire, I don't know if I can get the 4 guage into a the panel or connect it to a breaker. That means I would have to step down the wire size anyway.

I have looked at the websites for wire calculations and amp loss.
Very helpful. I just need a little reassurance since I don't understand all I know !

Old 03-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Panel box is best choice, you can get it into you panel, I have #2 aluminum in mine that is ran 150 feet to an RV Campground style 50amp box, in which my rig is currently plugged into. You will need 60amp breaker it has large enough lugs to handle #2 it will handle your #4 just fine. Power company wire coming into you 200 amp panel is #2. All else fails if you are unsure of what your doing hire an electrician to do it for you, always lean to safe side.Good luck.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:58 AM   #8
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Broome101

Panel box is best choice, you can get it into you panel, I have #2 aluminum in mine that is ran 150 feet to an RV Campground style 50amp box, in which my rig is currently plugged into. You will need 60amp breaker it has large enough lugs to handle #2 it will handle your #4 just fine. Power company wire coming into you 200 amp panel is #2. All else fails if you are unsure of what your doing hire an electrician to do it for you, always lean to safe side.Good luck.
Wow! That is great news if I can get the #4 wire into the 200 Amp Panel Box. I have wired numerous RV Receptacle setups over the years at our deer leases.
Years ago, I purchased an electrical DO-It-Yourself manuel and it walked me through the first one. With the book and aid of Forumns like this one, I get by.
I always hire an electrician for the big jobs.

Thanks

Old 03-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by G McCall

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Broome101

Wow! That is great news if I can get the #4 wire into the 200 Amp Panel Box. I have wired numerous RV Receptacle setups over the years at our deer leases.
Years ago, I purchased an electrical DO-It-Yourself manuel and it walked me through the first one. With the book and aid of Forums like this one, I get by.
I always hire an electrician for the big jobs.

Thanks