Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
pep1977
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5248
slide out awnings

Hey all,
not sure which froum this fits into so i figured this is a good spot to start. the slide out awning on the big slide by the door is starting to rip from the wall of the trailer and is not in the best of shape. this is on a 3400, so it is the slide that holds the dining table and couch. now the question, have any of you fellow MOC'ers ever replaced one of these on your own. and if so how was it. as i am fulltiming in it and work full time, it is hard for me to just pack up the wife and trailer to go to the repair facility and get it done, hence the reason why i also did the washer and dryer vent. so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Steven

pep1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Steven,

I have a slide topper that has delaminated and the top layer has torn away. I have already priced a fabric replacement at the dealer, but I'm going to wait until the bottom layer starts to come apart to replace it. I had to have my main awning replaced because of damage in a storm. After watching that replacement, I believe I can replace the slide topper myself. I am going to replace the fabric only. The roller tube as a hole in it so that you can put a pin in it to lock it in place.

Here is the process I plan to use:

I am going to extend the awning and then lock the roller in place with a wire pin. Then I will remove the screws in the tracks and remove the old material. The new material will then have to be fed into both the track on the trailer and on the roller simultaneously. I plan on having someone help me to feed the fabric into the tracks. I also plan to lay a 2 x 4 between the two slides to support the fabric as I feed it into the tracks. Then I will replace the screws that hold the fabric in place and remove the pin from the roller. I will report back after I have completed the repair.

So far, I have only had a problem with one of the slide toppers. I understand that A&E had a bad batch of fabric that was used. I contacted them but they denied an out of warranty claim to repair it. As stated above I am going to wait until the 2nd layer starts to disintegrate to change the fabric.

Best wishes on your repair.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:42 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Lamar, Where are you planning on purchasing the replacement material? CW ?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Lamar, please do let us know how this goes. Isn't there additional material rolled onto the tube? Will you be able to roll the new material onto the tube in the right amount, etc.? These are the things I'm waiting to hear how you handle. I am starting to see some deterioration on the top layer of our large slide's awning, also. I am going to cover the bad spot with eternabond tape for now, to delay the need to replace. If I could do the replacement myself I might do it sooner. So I look forward to your report.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:01 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I think the procedure described above is correct - no extra fabric to speak of. I've looked at new installation on the Internet and they did one on an RV Today show. It looks like once the awning is open and the spring is "locked" then it is just a matter of removing the old (a couple of screws at the ends), feeding the new material in (2 person job) and sticking a couple of screws back in.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:21 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Moving this up for Les and Julie
Old 05-16-2006, 11:35 AM   #7
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by VanMan

Lamar, Where are you planning on purchasing the replacement material? CW ?
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I priced it through my dealer. If memory serves it was around $160.00. Like I said, I'm going to get as much service as I can out of this one. Maybe it'll last through the summer.

Steve,

I'll keep you posted when I replace it.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:00 AM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I think CountryGuy (Al) made a temporary repair to his slide topper fabric. You might drop him a PM and see what he has to say.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote