Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
spinky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1106
Squirrel or Chipmunk getting in Montana

Has anyone ever had a squirrel or chipmunk get in their rig. I saw it run under the Montana one day and never saw where it went. Forgot about it for a couple days and then told my husband. He could see where it had gotten into the front basement. Then we saw sawdust on the floor inside. We just have not been able to figure out how it got in. By the way it is parked in our driveway on pavement. It didn't do any damage, but we sure do want to get this figured out.
Thanks,

spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
spinky,
Check your underbelly panel by your large sofa/table slide. I had some mice getting in there last year, found the panel is supposed to have screws every 4" or so. Mine was missing screws about 3' long and was able to put my entire arm into the underbelly. Since having the panel screws installed I have not noticed any additional mice. Just a thought for a place to look. Best of luck getting the problem area sealed up to prevent any further problems...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Those wascally wodents will eat your propane hoses !! There have been several reports on the "other forum". I have some mice right now I have to deal with.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:34 PM   #4
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
VanMan,

Rabbits can cause a WHOLE lot of problems, like you said. We have them all over our neighborhood and a couple years ago we couldn't figure out what was wrong with my daughters car that's always parked outside. Turns out those darned "cute bunnies" ate every rubber hose they could get their teeth on, cost me several hundred dollars. I don't think they're near as cute as I did 10 years ago when we moved here.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:38 AM   #5
spinky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1106
Thanks everyone for your help. My husband did check the bottom and guess what? It was very loose. He will be putting more screws in today. The only thing is how can they get right inside the trailer? We haven't figured that out yet.
Thanks,
Sherri
Old 05-08-2006, 04:13 AM   #6
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
You didn't state what kind of squirrel. We had red squirrels get into our belly a while ago and they chewed through the hot air hose and used it to get into other areas. When I finally took off a botton panel, the space between the panel and the floor was FULL of spruce cones. I filled a 20 gallon shop vac with cones and still had more to remove. I had a hard time getting rid of them because they can get into the smallest holes but finally, after putting hardware cloth over every space bigger than 1" square I stopped them. I also put downey dryer sheets into the vents and under the sink and all over the place and it seems to help. I also trapped a few of them before they got too smart for that.

Good luck!
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:28 AM   #7
spinky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1106
My husband thinks it is probably a red squirrel too. Wow! All of those spruce cones. Nasty little devils, aren't they?
Old 05-09-2006, 03:13 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
As cute as they are, they're just furry rats with a big tail !!
I had a friend whose pickup sat for awhile and then wouldn't run. His entire air cleaner was filled with mouse nest stuff. Evidently they just used the intake for a tunnel.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:38 AM   #9
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
I had mice get into my Mountaineer after only a few weeks parked at my deer lease.
The underbelly of this trailer is like "swiss cheese" . The darn rodents probably can walk threw this rig. I have more work to do to plug the holes. Problem is the under lining covers the real holes that you can not see.
For general info.....I had only one mouse chew his way into my Mobile Scout in 5 years. That unit was sealed.
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote