Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2006, 10:03 AM   #1
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
oil type for slides

Hi Everybody,
I have kind of a problem. Does anybody know what type of oil we use in the slides pump. Instructions calls for "A" type automotive ATF oil, but I was looking all over the place and nobody has that
kind of oil. They do have transmission oil, but in our trailer the oil is kind of clear. The transmission oil I see in the store is red.
Any suggestions.
Thanks Jerzy

Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Jerzy,

According to Dale, MIMF2, our Lippert expert, ATF is the appropriate fluid to use in the slide pump, and, yes, it is red. I've never seen it referred to here as type A, though. If he doesn't catch this topic, you should drop him a PM to ask him for more information. You might also search on atf and MIMF2 for what he's already posted.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Same here, ATF Fluid is what is recommended. The pump is also not fussy aobut what type of fluid, according to Dale. So, any type of Automatic fluid from Dexron, Fords, etc will work. Be careful not to overfill, and fill with the slides in. If you fill with the slides out, you will have a terrible mess in your front compartment.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
Thanks for quick answers I just sent PM to Dale.
I will keep you posted what happened.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:52 AM   #5
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jerzy54

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jerzy54

What a guy that Dale!!! He sent me a message yesterday and he said that it is OK to use ATF Dexron III or Mercon even which will blend with existing oil. Proper level according to Dale is 1/2 inch from the top of the tank with slides close.
Now what happened to my hose. While I was adding a step light I noticed missing screws across the the belly cover.
After my modification were done and I was putting everything together simply I replaced missing screws using existing holes the hose must to be stuck someplace and the screw pierced the hole right into it.
Perfect Murphy's law example. I will try to take that hose out and because it is way to long I will cut it and I will put new fitting if I can. Also I looked under the insulation and to my opinion there is a mess, hoses and electrical wires just laying on the top of the frame and are subject to vibrations and could be damage after some time. Another electrical fire? I will try to attached and insulate all critical places. Sorry for the extra long topic.
Happy Spring. Jerzy