Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2006, 06:21 AM   #1
M00N1
Established Member

M.O.C. #1624
Day/night shades

hi all, help me please.Am I the only one that the day/night crooked shades in our unit drive me around the bend. We tried to straighten one up this morning and after about two hours of bonding togetherness, we finally think it may be alright, but neither of us is afraid to touch it. Is there a trick to fixing these blinds as I just can't tackle another one. I also would like to take off the side blinds but don't like the looks of the wall where the screws go in, but maybe there is something out there to cover it.

any help you may give would be appreciated.

Jo Mooney

M00N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:52 AM   #2
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
This topic had been discussed before. You are not alone. We all have the same problem. There are a couple of ways to solve the problem. Some people screw the end caps in, from the bottom with a small self tapping screw. This wall keep the caps from popping out and the shade to slide out and tilt the whole shade. It is a pain in the butt when this happens. Some people just glue the end caps in. The very first time I tried to lower the shade I had this happen, and put a small rip in the day shade. Which I have lived with for 3 years.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
screw holes can be filled with white wood putty, or colored wood putty, if you need to match a color.

the blinds need to be pulled down with 2 hands, evenly. and it helps to sorta roll the bottom out a bit holding a little bit away from the wall. and go slow

so far, knock on wood, this tearing and end cap popping is something we have not experienced.

good luck

oh, search the Archives, a long time ago, someone posted a great post on how to straighten the blinds.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:21 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have done what Joe2speed sugested I went and purchased some # 2x 3/8" SSP screws. I can grab them shades anywhere and the ends wont come off ever again. I almost tore one of my shades tring to get it threded back to it's original position. no more sence the screws. do it you wont be sorry. I think you can get realy small Phillips Round head wood screws at Rockler you will have to pre drill small holes and then screw into the plastic caps.

TT2
Old 01-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just a small single spot of glue on the end caps stopped the cap popping for us. No pops in the last two years. Carol's suggestions on rolling the bar before raising or lowering and using two hands to move it evenly helped us, too. We learned that on this forum.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 02:34 AM   #6
M00N1
Established Member

M.O.C. #1624
Hi all, I guess I didn't explain this well enough. I too had the same problem about the ripping curtain, but this problem is when you put your blinds down or half way and the actual blind is crooked and you can't straighten the blind out. In our bedroom we took evrything off and found that it was put on the wall about a 1/2" from screw to screw, so it always looked crooked. I guess what I needed to know is there a trick to the strings and how to straighten out the bottom and the accordian look. mine always look like they are going up or downhill.

sorry for the mix up.

Jo Mooney
M00N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 02:50 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Moon1

I think that was part of the great discussion/post from way back, someone actually knew how to get them to hang straight.

Al has fussed with our some too, he got one of ours better by loosening the screw in the middle of that holder thing that the line is wrapped around.

My contention has always been that if the screws were not put in at the same height, AND, if the strings were wrapped in different directions that you would never get em straight. Al and I are still "discussing" that theory, (loudly sometimes )

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 04:19 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
If you glue the end caps on, what will you do if you have to restring the shades?
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:56 AM   #9
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
We also had the problem with the day/nite shades.Our dealer relaced five of them under warranty,caps fell off and they ripped.The new shades they installed had different caps, they already had small phillips screws in them and the caps look different. Upon bringing this to their attention they immediately drilled and screwed all the existing shades in the unit.We also noticed some looked crooked, they redid all the string hangers to the same distance from the shades and patched all the holes,you cannot even tell the holes were there.Dealer said this was a problem and a pain to repair but if you complain they would fix.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Moon1, we have the same problem. Several look like the pleats run downhill or uphill. I never could figure out how to fix that short of removing and reinstalling them. I guess we've lived in this thing so long I n o longer notice it. As far as I know, the only fix is to remove and reinstall them. If yours is under warranty you might get the dealer to take care of this.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:59 AM   #11
wcarneal

M.O.C. #3448
We also have the same problem with the end caps coming off and the shades seperating. Does anyone know where you can get these end caps?When we got our rig most of them were missing (we bought it used 2004).
wcarneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:44 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wcarneal

We also have the same problem with the end caps coming off and the shades seperating. Does anyone know where you can get these end caps?When we got our rig most of them were missing (we bought it used 2004).
Call Specialty Window Coverings in Elkhart, IN. Phone No. 574-262-5190. They make the shades and have been very good at helping customers.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #13
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We had trouble with the shade over the table...I just hate to even open it and yes it does take 2 for it to go more smoothly. But such a pain...we didnt have this problem in our other camper and it had day/night shades.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote