Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
Range Hood Exhaust Fan Broken

Kitchen Range Hood Fan stopped working tonight ---- think the fan motor may be burned out -- anyone know where we can source a new one? We are in Yuma, Arizona. Thanks Julie

Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
I have read that you can use a computer case fan. I believe a 120mm fan is what was recommended, they are 12v and super quiet. I check my fan in my 06 and the blade is huge and looked like it might be a little bit of work so I am saving in until spring.

I am making a list of changes and enhancements to be made.
drifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:56 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Julie, we replaced the one in our previous 5er - got it at an RV supply (not CW). It wore out because I ran it to smoke under. I didn't want to smoke in the unit and usually go outside but when it is really cold we found if I stood right under the fan the smoke didn't get in the unit. I quit last winter, started again during the turmoil of retirement and still have all my supplies to quit again. I think after the holidays will be it. Too expensive anymore.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:08 PM   #4
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
Thanks for the info---will check out the Yuma Swap Meet tomorrow to see what we can find. Good luck with quiting smoking -- you can do it. Once you get through the "turmoil" of retiring the fun really begins --- we sure are enjoying our retirement.

Julie

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Julie, we replaced the one in our previous 5er - got it at an RV supply (not CW). It wore out because I ran it to smoke under. I didn't want to smoke in the unit and usually go outside but when it is really cold we found if I stood right under the fan the smoke didn't get in the unit. I quit last winter, started again during the turmoil of retirement and still have all my supplies to quit again. I think after the holidays will be it. Too expensive anymore.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:29 AM   #5
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
There is a good RV store out here in the Foothills, on Fortuna Rd, in the Fry's shopping center, if you decide to use an RV fan. There is also a Radio Shack there, but there should be one downtown too, closer to where you are. The big Flea market on 32nd has quite a few places that you might find fans, as well as anything you might or might not need! There is RV Peddler along 32nd, but people have not had much luck there.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 02:56 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Hi Les and Julie,
Sorry to hear about your fan problem. I seem to recall that it was stated on this forum some time ago, that the fan is the same as the bathroom vent fan. You should be able to find one of those somewhere. Good luck!

Are you in AZ for the whole winter, or might we see you in the RGV before winter is over? Really cold and snowy here for so early in the season, so enjoy!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 03:56 AM   #7
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
Thanks for the info -- tried a search but seem to have great difficulty getting restuls when I use that function.

Planning on spending this winter in Yuma, then will head up to B.C.(grandkids are there and we are planning on moving there). Considering the Rio Grande for next winter though.

Drive safe --- watch out for that snow.

Julie

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

Hi Les and Julie,
Sorry to hear about your fan problem. I seem to recall that it was stated on this forum some time ago, that the fan is the same as the bathroom vent fan. You should be able to find one of those somewhere. Good luck!

Are you in AZ for the whole winter, or might we see you in the RGV before winter is over? Really cold and snowy here for so early in the season, so enjoy!
Old 12-17-2005, 04:02 AM   #8
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Les
Try www.rvsurplussalvage.com for your part. They are located in Elkart Ind. They buy excess parts from allof the manufactures. I'm sure they have a replacement fan that will fit your ehaust vent. I have used them a couple of times and they had the parts. In their warehaouse they have replacement sofas, chairs, tables and every item that you would ever want. We went thru their place when the MOC Rally was up there a few years ago.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:52 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Good luck on the quitting, Sue. Cheryl is also going to quit after the Holiday stress time. I am keeping a eye on this new drug, Varenicline. Do a search on it... several articles. Very interesting info for smokers wanting to quit.

The women bear most of the stress during the Holidays Season. They clean the house, get ready for relatives, cook the meals, clean up, organize family functions (I know... some men are going to jump on me for this, "I help out alot during this time!" Great! There's always exceptions). Men stress out during this time because they can't find the TV Guide that tells them what time the Rose Bowl starts.

Back to the thread... My exhaust fan in our apt sounds like a jet taking off. Worst I've ever experienced. Hope the Montana's is MUCH quieter.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:54 AM   #10
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
Fan is fixed --- thank you so much for all the helpful info. Found the part at Al's RV Store (SMC suggested this source) and Les installed it this afternoon and it works and it is also much quieter than the original one!!!!! Julie
Old 12-17-2005, 12:16 PM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Ok Julie. While you were right across the road from us today, we were at the swap meet. We wound up buying the CoPilot GPS System while we were there. Hope we will like it. Glad you got your fan taken care of.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 01:40 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Helen,
I have been looking at buying the same GPS system. Please let me know what you think of it. Thanks, dave/
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:18 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I just read the last Trailer Life eTech Newsletter and they had a great suggestion of a rheostat for the hood/exhaust fan:

Out of the Tip Jar
Ready Rheostat
The noisy, high speed exhaust fans used over RV stovetops can be slowed down and quieted with the placement of a rheostat control. This component, available at most auto-supply stores, may be best be identified to the counter person as the type used for heater switches in older cars.

To install, I cut into the “hot” wire leading to the on/off range-hood switch. At this point, I drilled a hole in the hood for the new rheostat and attached both ends of the cut wire to the switch terminals. If desired, the rheostat could be clamped in the vent hood. Most of these switches also come with clamp mounts.

With this modification complete, it's possible to run the kitchen exhaust fan at an infinite number of speeds. Operating it at a lower setting is much quieter and surprisingly, seems to vent the RV as effectively as full speed.

Submitted By: R. Lyle Luttrell
Washburn, North Dakota
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 12:52 AM   #14
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Les and Julie it was nice to meet you, glad your fan works. Bill and Helen We were at Las Quintas yesterday and saw your trailer. We will try and stop in when you are home! Yuma does seem to keep you busy!
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:49 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Les and Julie, did the light go out also? We had that on ours and it was a connection pulled loose under the slide, in one of the junction boxes. If yours is in a slide, maybe this happened to yours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:09 AM   #16
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
Hi Steve -- no our light still worked -- just the fan quit. Les replaced the motor and now it works great -- in fact much quieter than the original one. Julie

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Les and Julie, did the light go out also? We had that on ours and it was a connection pulled loose under the slide, in one of the junction boxes. If yours is in a slide, maybe this happened to yours.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:40 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Les and Julie, are you folks going back to FL this winter or to Texas? I think you're the Les and Julie we met at the Tampa show in January, right?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote