Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2023, 01:56 AM   #1
04montana5
Established Member

M.O.C. #32326
Sudden low hot water pressure

Hi I’m new to this site, I was relieved to find a resource with other owners as I am new to living in a fifth wheel and know very little.

I have a 2004 Montana, a day ago the hot water pressure dropped. I took a shower with full pressure then went to shave and the hot water pressure was reduced by like 5 times.The cold water has full pressure, but hot is super weak. I had just filled up my water tank that morning and swapped my propane tanks. I usually run on the electric heater and haven’t had a problem in the last year I owned it. Any idea how to fix this or trouble shoot? Hot water is still coming out but the pressure is just super low.

04montana5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 04:49 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Is it only at one sink, or throughout the rig; shower, kitchen, etc.?
If only at the bathroom sink, it could be sediment in the line at that point.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:10 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Check/clean the filters at the faucets.
If it is at all hot water taps, try cycling the water heater bypass valve. Make sure it is in "OFF" position. Also make sure the outside shower valves are off (hot/cold mixing point).
If that doesn't help I would drain and flush the water heater. Get one of those Camco water heater flush wands. They are great for getting all the sediment out.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 11:37 AM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
It's possible that the check valve on the hot water outlet of the water heater tank is clogged with debris. If you don't drain and flush the tank regularly, there will be quite a bit of crud in the hot water. This is the same debris that will clog the screens on the faucets.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:01 PM   #5
04montana5
Established Member

M.O.C. #32326
It’s at Shower and both sinks.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:08 PM   #6
04montana5
Established Member

M.O.C. #32326
Thanks for your advice. I have no idea how to do any of these things😅. Novice over here. Where are the filters?
Where can I find the water heater bypass valve?
I have never used the outside shower, it should be off right?
Where do you put in the wand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
If it is at all hot water taps, try cycling the water heater bypass valve. Make sure it is in "OFF" position. Also make sure the outside shower valves are off (hot/cold mixing point).
If that doesn't help I would drain and flush the water heater. Get one of those Camco water heater flush wands. They are great for getting all the sediment out.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:12 PM   #7
04montana5
Established Member

M.O.C. #32326
How often should you flush the tank? I’ve never done this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
It's possible that the check valve on the hot water outlet of the water heater tank is clogged with debris. If you don't drain and flush the tank regularly, there will be quite a bit of crud in the hot water. This is the same debris that will clog the screens on the faucets.
Old 02-09-2023, 03:26 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Since you stated the PRESSURE dropped at all the faucet locations, I agree with Bob. It is likely the check valve on the water heater has failed or is clogged.

We really need to know the model of your 2004 Montana to help with the repair.

The check valve is located on the inside edge of the WH. Getting access depends on your model Montana. That is why knowing the Model is so important. Sometimes you can get to the WH and the check valve by removing the wall in the pass through compartment. Or you may be able to remove a panel from an inside compartment of the Montana to access the check valve.

The check valve is relatively easy to replace (or by pass if you NEVER winterize) once you gain access. It will be tight and requires a good hefty wrench to loosen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04montana5 View Post
Thanks for your advice. I have no idea how to do any of these things😅. Novice over here. Where are the filters?
The filters/screens are part of each faucet. The sink ones are usually on the spigot. The shower lines (and maybe the kitchen line) may have them where the transition from Pex to flex lines occur.

Quote:
Where can I find the water heater bypass valve?
It has been a long time since I saw a 2004 model. You do not have a convenience center unlike newer models. I suspect it is plumbed into the bypass valve?

Quote:
I have never used the outside shower, it should be off right?
Correct

Quote:
Where do you put in the wand?
You have to remove the anode rod to drain the MH tank. Once you do that, the Camco wand is great to use to flush out the crap and corruption laying inside the tank.

Quote:
How often should you flush the tank? I’ve never done this.
Once a year is a good start. As it depends on the quality of water you have, you can go longer or maybe shorter. This also allows you to check the anode for deterioration (and need for replacement).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 05:44 PM   #9
04montana5
Established Member

M.O.C. #32326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Since you stated the PRESSURE dropped at all the faucet locations, I agree with Bob. It is likely the check valve on the water heater has failed or is clogged.

The check valve is located on the inside edge of the WH. Getting access depends on your model Montana. That is why knowing the Model is so important. Sometimes you can get to the WH and the check valve by removing the wall in the pass through compartment. Or you may be able to remove a panel from an inside compartment of the Montana to access the check valve.

The check valve is relatively easy to replace (or by pass if you NEVER winterize) once you gain access. It will be tight and requires a good hefty wrench to loosen it.

The filters/screens are part of each faucet. The sink ones are usually on the spigot. The shower lines (and maybe the kitchen line) may have them where the transition from Pex to flex lines occur.

It has been a long time since I saw a 2004 model. You do not have a convenience center unlike newer models. I suspect it is plumbed into the bypass valve?

Correct

You have to remove the anode rod to drain the MH tank. Once you do that, the Camco wand is great to use to flush out the crap and corruption laying inside the tank.

Once a year is a good start. As it depends on the quality of water you have, you can go longer or maybe shorter. This also allows you to check the anode for deterioration (and need for replacement).
What does check valve look like?

The model number is 3576RL

I’m at work I’ll respond better tonight. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2023, 08:51 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
What does check valve look like?

The model number is 3576RL

I’m at work I’ll respond better tonight. Thank you!
This is what the check valve looks like. IT can be purchased at Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-P234...17733165&psc=1
You can check the WH is operable by CAREFULLY opening the Over Pressure Device (OPD) valve on the outside. If it pours out hot water, the check valve is the problem.

I can't find a floorplan for a 2004 3576RL. But look at where the WH is on the outside and then find a corresponding location inside.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 04:06 AM   #11
04montana5
Established Member

M.O.C. #32326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
How do you cycle the water heater bypass valve. I figured out where it is. But How do I cycle it, by cycling water through it? Do I turn off the water pump and empty the tank then refill it or?
Old 02-10-2023, 04:11 AM   #12
04montana5
Established Member

M.O.C. #32326
[QUOTE=Carl n Susan;1268966]This is what the check valve looks like. IT can be purchased at Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-P234...17733165&psc=1
You can check the WH is operable by CAREFULLY opening the Over Pressure Device (OPD) valve on the outside. If it pours out hot water, the check valve is the problem.

I can't find a floorplan for a 2004 3576RL. But look at where the WH is on the outside and then find a corresponding location inside.

Sorry I typed incorrectly it’s 3575RL. I checked the over pressure release and got water does flow out of it. Do I need to replace check valve?
Old 02-10-2023, 04:21 AM   #13
04montana5
Established Member

M.O.C. #32326
Quote:

Correct

Thank you! I was able To figure out where the check valve is, I’ll have to drain it out and run to the rv store tomorrow for the check valve, camco wand and anode rod.Ill have to find where the flex and pex meet so I can check all the filters too . We are on a SoCal desert well, the water is less than spectacular . Hopefully this will fix the issue. Thank you for being so informative wane helpful, I greatly appreciate it!
Old 02-10-2023, 06:57 PM   #14
04montana5
Established Member

M.O.C. #32326
Quote:
This is what the check valve looks like. IT can be purchased at Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-P234...17733165&psc=1

So I have emptied the tank and flushed it weird the wand, there was so much stuff inside and the anode was really eaten up. Now I’m trying to remove the check valve but it just won’t budge at all. I used a wrench and my ratchet with no luck. Any idea ever I can do you get it loose?
Old 03-01-2023, 02:09 PM   #15
coyoterick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10239
I had to use a 24" breaker bar with a 6 point deepwell socket to break mine loose on my 2006 3400RL AFTER removing the entire water heater from the RV! If you have an impact wrench that will fit into the space behind the valve perhaps that will work too.

The check valve is also called a backflow preventer.
coyoterick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 montana, hot water heater, low pressure