Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2008, 03:10 AM   #1
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
fm antenna

The fm antenna on our 307RKD is a wire that is routed from the tuner up thru a hole behind the tv. Can't get the tv out of it's cubby, so, I don't know where it goes. Wouldn't be a problem if the radio reception was ok. Don't see any screws in the other cabinets to hold the tv in place. Any ideas?

beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:06 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
May or may not have anything to do with what you are asking, but make sure the antenna booster is off when you listen to FM. The booster makes awful reception on the FM tuner.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:38 AM   #3
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
I know to get better FM reception, I have to turn off our Direct TV receiver. When its on, we get very few stations. When the revceiver is off there are lots of stations to listen to and they are very clear.
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

May or may not have anything to do with what you are asking, but make sure the antenna booster is off when you listen to FM. The booster makes awful reception on the FM tuner.
Not to argue with this statement but I find I do not get any FM stations if I have the antenna booster off. I have to turn it on so the FM stations come from the BAT WING antenna just like TV signals.

I understand why the SAT system has to be off for better FM reception.

Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Beakyfudd,
You don't say what year your 307RKD is. Most new configurations have a splitter coming from the batwing. After splitting, one lead goes to the tv, and the other goes to the FM tuner. I also had to have the amplifier on to receive an FM signal in the 2008 3400RL. If you could trace the cable and make sure all connections are connected, might help. If you trace the cable from the tv you may run into the splitter.

Just some thoughts.

Now if you are a do-it-youselfer, you could skin back about 2.3 ft of RG-59 or RG-6, pull the stranded braid down over the rubber insulator, put that end out the window and tie the remaining dielectric (white plastic around center conductor) up in a tree. 2.3 feet is the approximate length for 1/2 wave at 98Mhz, or about middle of the FM radio spectrum.

Hey! Y'all don't laugh, I've done more than that in the past to get TV reception!!!!

Edited: On our Sat receiver I just tune to the music channls - uninterrupted music.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
John, you are probably right - I might have gotten it confused with turning off the booster for satellite reception now that you said that.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:30 AM   #7
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
Waynem, it's an 07. I would gladly trace the wires, but I can't get the tv out of it's cubby. I know it's fastened in there somehow, but I did'nt think my eyes were that bad as not to see screws or something under, over, or around in the other cabinets. I am a do-it-yourselfer in alot of ways, but electronics I really have to be careful because it's "not my area".
Old 09-29-2008, 08:09 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Beakyfudd,
Is there a closet on the left hand side of the entertainment center? That's the model I see on the Keystone site. Is there an access compartment in that closet?

You may want to call Keystone Mountaineer division and talk to someone there. They have to have a technician that installed the darn thing.

Once you have found out how to get to the back of the set, there are enough of us on here that can help you with the electronics portion of checking it out.

Have you tried a bigger hammer?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I don't want to steer you wrong again, but do you have the flat screen LCD type TV or the regular type? (they changed in Dec 2007)

Our LCD has a factory made flat steel "L" bracket that mounts to the back of the TV. The bottom of the bracket (male end) slides into another bracket mounted to the bottom of the cabinet (female) down the center of the TV width. The male slides into the female and then snaps in place at the back (spring steel bracket locks down). If I reach into the back of the cabinet through another cabinet, I can release that spring steel lever and the TV just slides out.

If you have the regular TV, I can't help much other than tell you the factory typically drove two screws up through the bottom (usually accessed from the fireplace) and one down into the top of the TV cabinet.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:12 AM   #10
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
There is a closet to the left of the tv cabinet, but with no access panel. There are screws in the cabinet below the tv, but they just look like they're holding the cabinet or trim. I guess I'll take them out anyway and see what happens. I haven't dedicated alot of time to this issue as we just got this 5er 3 days ago and we're going away this weekend. Busier than a one armed paper hanger! I might just wait till we get to the campgrounds to really dig into this. Thanks for all your help so far. I'll be in touch.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:41 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If you really need to use the FM tuner and think it is the antenna, go buy a cheap pair of "rabbit ears," and hook it up to the tuner. It will get you through the weekend with some signals.

Good luck.

Edited: Saw an indoor FM antenna at Best Buy today. Looked nice, sort of like the Satellite radio antennas, but about 5 inches in diameter instead of the 2" of a sat radio antenna. It's best to have an outside one high on the roof, but in a pinch an indoor will work for good signals.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:35 AM   #12
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
Well, I had some unexpected extra time last night, so I looked at this tv issue again. The screws I saw below the tv held it in. Also, after removing the center speaker above the tv, I got my hand thru the hole and found a broken screw in the top of the tv. NOTHINGS SIMPLE! However, I got it out turning it with a pair of pliers, and removed the tv. All this to reveal the antenna wire coiled up in a plastic wire clamp. Quality control? I stretched it out inside the cabinet and received some radio reception. After reinstalling the tv, I realized the other half of the screw in the top of the tv was in a hole were the center speaker mounts. Thanks again to all for your input. Hope you don't mind my being so long-winded. It's just really nice having people to ask about different issues.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
su casa es mia casa. Translated is "if you are happy, we are happy!" I think.