Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2022, 06:03 PM   #1
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Lithium battery heater using tank heater pads

LIthium battery heater
Lithium batteries do not like to be charged at freezing temperatures.
I have a 5th wheel RV. The battery compartment is the forward compartment under the overhang. It is not heated. First, I added extra insulation. Two layers of 1' styrofoam board.
I used an RV tank heater 7"×24". 12v, 6.25A, 75W. The built in thermostat turns on at 45°F off at 65°F (I would have preferred it turned on at 36⁰F).
The tank heater pad has it's own adhesive. I chose to tape it to the battery at one end (so I can remove/adjust it) and wrap it around the battery. Tape the insulation to the battery. Wrap it around the battery AND the heater, leaving 3" of the heater exposed at the wire lead end. This end has the thermostat. Leaving it OUTSIDE the insulation will ensure it is exposed to cold temperatures. Put the entire assembly in a battery box (to anchor it down). This battery heater is wired to my FLA battery via inline fuse and a switch. I did this because the FLA battery can be recharged at any time above or below freezing. I turn on the switch if below freezing temperature is expected. I have insulated my battery compartment and have a remote thermometer in the compartment AND the battery monitor Victron BMV-712 has a thermometer attached to the battery.
While my 5er is stored for the winter I have added a 120vac outlet in my battery compartment and I use a 120vac 75W plug in battery heater. I have it laying along the floor of the front of the compartment standing up on edge. One night we had 28°F, that compartment did not fall below 40°F. I got another one and put it in the basement to keep the pipes etc warm. Same results.

Tank heater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZJMTG7P...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Battery box https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOX2OKS...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F2WLFHM...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Inline fuse, 7A https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZZNTXY...QB2CJQYB?psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lithium battery heater.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	12468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery compartment 3.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	12471  

Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 08:16 AM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Clean upgrade. I don't even have battery boxes
Old 02-13-2024, 08:11 AM   #3
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
Great idea. Much less expensive than buying heated batteries.
jkxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 07:04 PM   #4
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
I sure appreciate your detailed posts on the basics, like this one and the one on taking down/putting up coroplast.
newowneroldmontana is offline   Reply With Quote