Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2021, 07:02 AM   #1
jdeputy

M.O.C. #27914
Help needed dead batteries

We have a 2021 RL with the super solar option. We left the unit parked on our spot while a way for a couple of weeks but not plugged into shore power. Came back yesterday to everything being dead. Plugged in shore power and still nothing except the shore power light is lit and the charger/inverter has the fault light lit and charger light flashing. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	938332F1-4863-41AD-B183-56D87BC95C8B.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	10824   Click image for larger version

Name:	55FE3B3D-42F4-4273-9639-FA973A26AFE2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	10825  

jdeputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:30 AM   #2
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
With that error, I'm thinking the temperature outside is low. (or was?)
The batteries need 40 - 45 degrees to be able to charge.

Your system, like mine, came with a battery heater for this situation.

What I don't know, is if the heater, which is 12 volts, can come on with the batteries dead.

I would suggest calling Future Sales to get some help recovering from this issue. They are very helpful with our SSF systems.

(574) 262-3688
https://www.futuresalesrv.com/

Please keep us updated on this issue.
2015 F350 XLT Crew Dually 20K B&W Companion
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 02:55 PM   #3
jdeputy

M.O.C. #27914
Thank you for the reply. Once the sun came up and the batteries took a charge everything went back to normal. My dealership was trying to troubleshoot the problem, so I called to let them know we were good. One of the techs said that he had encountered this with another unit and had used 12 volt chargers to get it working.
jdeputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:02 PM   #4
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
Glad they began to take a charge.
2015 F350 XLT Crew Dually 20K B&W Companion
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:20 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
For those with Super Solar, I will put this as the same as putting gas in a diesel or dropping your trailer on the bed of your truck. You will do whatever you can to avoid it, but if it happens, what do I do? This happened to me in April and I saved it in my notes. Hopefully it helps someone. This procedure is from Matt Wolkins of Future Sales. They provide the system to Keystone. This was prior to replacing the PD transfer switch.

A little dramatic, I know, but it was one of those lessons that will pay dividends in the future. I woke up this morning to zero power - no 120v, no 12v. Everything dead. Fortunately, I was able to get Matt Wolkins on the line and through a series of calls he got me on my way. The reason everything was dead is my batteries had gone below 11.5v. So, to protect the battery, the Super Solar system shut down everything. The reason my batteries got so low is that at 108v, the transfer switch disengages. We were on a 15 amp circuit and the charger was running so high it went below 108v repeatedly. What sounded like someone hitting the side of the camper was the transfer switch cycling on/off. We were camped three nights here without good sun and just plain got the batteries too low. There is a setting on the Victron that should have been off - Battery Starts Synchronized, that wasn’t. So, here is the reset procedure that Matt had me do.
1. Turn Off Battery
2. Disconnect from Shore Power
3. Turn Off the Main on the Inverter (two screws on the side panel)
4. With jumper cables or starter box, jump from positive to positive, negative to negative on the top red (+) and bottom black (-). Once your system resets, go to the next step.
5. Turn the Inverter Main Back On
6. Plug in Shore Power
7. Disconnect Jumper Cables
8. Replace Panel and (2) screws.

Leave Battery Off Until it is charged to 30%. Now, you are good to go. The system worked as it was supposed to. Since my VictronConnect reset to 100% every time it restarted, I falsely thought I had a full charge. I was fortunate this happened where I had cell service. I also learned my batteries are 270ahx2 for 540ah of battery power. Hope I save someone else an early morning panick.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:24 AM   #6
billybeesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #20745
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeputy View Post
We have a 2021 RL with the super solar option. We left the unit parked on our spot while a way for a couple of weeks but not plugged into shore power. Came back yesterday to everything being dead. Plugged in shore power and still nothing except the shore power light is lit and the charger/inverter has the fault light lit and charger light flashing. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I had a similar problem. My solar option was interfering with the charging of the battery. I turned off the solar option, and charged my dead batteries. All worked well after I turned off the solar option. Might work for you???
billybeesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:24 AM   #7
billybeesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #20745
I had a similar problem. My solar option was interfering with the charging of the battery. I turned off the solar option, and charged my dead batteries. All worked well after I turned off the solar option. Might work for you???
Old 01-06-2022, 09:09 AM   #8
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Sounds like the solar technology for RVs needs to be perfected before offering it as an option.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:58 AM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Bill, do you have Super Solar or Solar Flex. On the Super Solar they have had two issues (both from companies that didn’t have issues before). The PD Transfer Switch, which acts as an EMS have about a 100% failure rate. keystone switched to Southwire now. The Progressive unit would not latch causing my unit not to charge. The Jaboni charge controllers are also failing and they have been replacing them with Victron controllers. If yours is not charging with solar on, you have an issue. After we had our new charge controllers and the PD Transfer Switch replaced (Super Solar did not need a second transfer switch, was only there for EMS) we have been very happy with it. There were four Super Solar rigs at rally this year. We all had our charge controllers replaced, some new programming updated, and new front and rear AC controllers to correct an issue with load shedding. We all, at our expense, installed Hughes Watchdogs to replace the transfer switch (we already have one in our Magnum inverter/charger). A very nice upgrade. User replaceable Surge Module and Bluetooth for monitoring.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:19 AM   #10
billybeesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #20745
Our camper has a Samflex Solar system.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:22 AM   #11
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Never heard of Samflex, but if installed properly it shouldn’t interfere with your charging system. Something isn’t wired correctly. Solar charge controller should be connected to the battery and so should your shore power charger.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:56 PM   #12
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
Solar charging should not interfere with anything on your RV. If it does it's either not designed correctly, not programmed correctly or not working.

Make sure the absorb and float voltage are correct on all devices. Make sure every connection in the charging circuit is tight. Make sure the shunt is the last thing connected to the negative post on the bank.
66 Galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote