Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2021, 06:11 AM   #21
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Slow draining black tank has been my concern with our 2014 HC. The only "cure" is to raise the nose. I've 'scoped' it, run a snake down the vent, filled it to almost over filled and to top it off, pulled the belly cover down and replaced the valve and while apart stuck my arm in the tank to check for debris. Yes, I did flush, high pressure clean and sanitize it well first). I just live with it, doing a good back flush with both the built in and a Valterra outlet end flusher about every other dump or so.

You can help that puny built in flusher by adding a Valterra outlet knife valve. This is how I ended doing a decent black tank flush:

-Dump the black tank first, then close that Valterra knife valve.
- Open the galley tank drain valve and allow that water to go into the black tank. Dump the black again by opening that knife valve
- Do the same with the bathroom tank
- If those gray tanks are only 1/3-1/2 full you can combine the water.
- Using the built in flusher will also help adding water, but that's IMO, only an aid

Then there is the possibility that the black tank valve isn't opening 100%. The cable end is only bent over at the valve termination instead of having a locking device (or that's how ours were made up until I changed the valve out

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:21 AM   #22
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
My unit has two black and two gray tanks. The "rear" tanks serve the kitchen and the half bath. My "rear" tanks drain much better and faster than the front tanks, and I believe it due to where the tanks are mounted in the frame.

If you look at the illustration below - the rear tanks are higher in "elevation" than the front tanks and when I open the valve to drain they "gush" out to empty...no sweat. I have to work a lot on the front black tank especially. As others have mentioned in this thread - it helps to raise the front jacks to get the effluent to flow out better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-04-30_7-15-51.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	9056  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote