Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
rws262
Established Member

M.O.C. #27069
MHC 377FL Tow Htch

My 2020 MHC 377FL did not come with a receiver hitch, and the insulated bottom between the main beams makes it hard to tell if one can be installed. Does anyone have any experience installing a receiver hitch for a cargo carrier or bike rack on this model?

rws262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Ryan,

Welcome to the forum! This is a great place to learn and share.

A good trailer shop should be able to weld a bumper to your frame which will include a receiver.

What are you planning to carry?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
rws262
Established Member

M.O.C. #27069
Thanks for the reply, I think you are right. I was hoping to get a bolt on receiver to install myself.

I want to install a bike rack for summer and also get a cargo carrier for the smoker for tailgate season.

2020 Montana High Country 377FL
Edge CTSV2 Diesel Tuner
Airlift LoadLifter 5000 bags
Old 12-16-2020, 09:21 AM   #4
Nard Dog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27687
I've got the 376FL and have the same issue. I was looking at some ladder mounted bike racks.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Ladder-.../dp/B06XRFFGQL

Keep us posted on your progress with installing a bumper. I'm going to hold off on that until I prove the ladder mounts won't work.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #5
BandBmalin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22581
I don't know your fiver, but I've installed the bolt on receiver that etrailer sells on my last fiver (3820FK) and two of my previous travel trailers. (The FK came with a welded receiver, but I wanted to also tow so I cut the OEM one off and used the bolt on version. 2018 3820FK OEM was only for bike rack or cargo, no towing per the label.)
Only issue I had when I added it to the fiver was that I also had to add a receiver extension in order to get the bike rack/cargo carrier out a little. I never had issue one with any of the installs or with the receivers after installation. I would HIGHLY recommend!!

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...urt/13703.html
2017 Fully Grown 5 Pound Toy Golden Doodle
BandBmalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:50 AM   #6
rws262
Established Member

M.O.C. #27069
Thanks! I've looked at a bolt on receiver very similar to that one. My only hesitation is all the insulation concealed behind the corrugated plastic on the underside of this unit. I didn't want to cut it all out just to find something I wasn't expecting.

Edge CTSV2 Diesel Tuner
Old 12-16-2020, 10:16 AM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by rws262 View Post
Thanks! I've looked at a bolt on receiver very similar to that one. My only hesitation is all the insulation concealed behind the corrugated plastic on the underside of this unit. I didn't want to cut it all out just to find something I wasn't expecting.
My experience is exactly the same as BandBmalin. Bolt on has been a great hitch for 14 years. Can't imagine what you would find that would prevent the mounting of the hitch. (Unless things have drastically changed since our last factory tour I don't think the concealed insulation is going to be an obstacle.) Whatever it is would be the same if bolting on or welding.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #8
rws262
Established Member

M.O.C. #27069
It’s this piece of steel across the back that is going to be the biggest headache.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	426BE15B-68B4-4DD9-9F36-83F8037CDCF9.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	8053  
Old 12-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
Nard Dog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27687
I believe this is probably the best solution for me.

Check out the video on this page: https://www.etrailer.com/fmr-2011_Fo...Super+Duty.htm

As you know, the rear drop frame on that camper model presents some fantastic value for living inside the camper. It is literally the only camper layout I was interested in. But it does come with drawbacks vis a vis the nonexistent bumper. So there will not be anything like a 'great' solution for hauling extra stuff. Now, I'm only thinking about bike racks and I know you are looking to haul a smoker. But I'm starting to become convinced that the most elegant solution is the front mounted hitch.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I have the Montana 375FL, which is almost identical to the 376 and 377 model, with the exception of the loft and bathroom configured smaller in the 376 and 377 because of the steps leading to the loft. Other than that, they are identical floor plans.

My 375FL did come with a factory install hitch and originally I wanted to use it for my (already existing) cage that slides into a receiver hitch. I used it on my last 2 travel trailers.

However, immediately there were two problems with the 375FL. First, the shaft for the receiver was short. not that a hitch would not fit, but the cage would not slide all the way into the receiver without hitting the rear outside wall of the Montana first. (Actually, it hit the ladder first before inserting all the way).

So, I removed the sides and left the bottom part of the cage and it fit OK. However, when I put anything on the platform, it blocked that rear baggage door.

I keep all my blocks, electric cords, chocks and everything else I need to initially set up the trailer and unhitch from the truck. With that platform in the way, and with it loaded with anything, I'd have to remove everything off that platform before I could even open the baggage door.

It goes to say, I've never used the hitch for the cage, even with the sided removed, which would mean, in order to set up camp, that carrier would have to be unloaded first, even before getting boards out to put under the tires or jacks.

Anyway, before investing any money, think about what you are going to use that rear compartment for and then ask yourself if it's OK the door can't be opened until you unload the carrier blocking that door.

I made a novelty sign to insert in the receiver. From a practical standpoint, this is about all it's really good for using now.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:11 PM   #11
rws262
Established Member

M.O.C. #27069
This is my first camper ever and this layout is perfect for us with two kids, 5 & 2 and I hadn't thought twice about the drop frame until I got a new smoker and wanted to take it with us. We had been putting our bikes in the bedroom on the king bed. LOL

Edge CTSV2 Diesel Tuner
Old 12-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #12
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
You can get one installed at any trailer shop. It well probably void your frame warranty thoe. The other problem is that you have a drop frame in the back don't you ? Any kind of hitch will hang pretty low. I know people that have the same 5er and drag the tail end already.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #13
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I just saw your photo from above. Adding anything on the rear of the trailer via a hitch, are you sure you want to block that door? Yours door sits even lower than mine does. Anything you put there will block the door. That's OK if you don't have anything in that storage area you don't need right away though. Something to think about???
Old 12-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #14
rws262
Established Member

M.O.C. #27069
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I just saw your photo from above. Adding anything on the rear of the trailer via a hitch, are you sure you want to block that door? Yours door sits even lower than mine does. Anything you put there will block the door. That's OK if you don't have anything in that storage area you don't need right away though. Something to think about???
My thought was that I could cut out what I needed from that end cap piece and bolt the receiver in between the beams, and whatever I'm carrying would be unloaded first, such as bikes or smoker. We currently fit two adult bikes in the bedroom on the bed and its not the worst thing. I only have hoses and electrical cords stored in the rear hatch.

But I didn't think about the front mount hitch. I may go that route seeing as my new smoker will fit between the headlights and won't void the camper frame warranty.

Edge CTSV2 Diesel Tuner
Old 12-16-2020, 01:33 PM   #15
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
rws262, just curious? and definitely off topic. ... How do you like having that back door on the opposite side. We absolutely love ours. When parking at home, the back door faces the house. We had an awning installed over the back door. The back side becomes the front of the camper. At a campground, we use the real front door. And a couple times, we had a campsite (pull through), that was really confusing. We never did figure out which way was the correct way to pull in. It didn't matter, we choose one side to be our "front" and that was that! With the power cord hook up in the rear, it doesn't matter which side the power pole is either. I did buy a 25 foot 50 amp extension cord for those times when the power box is beyond reach of my regular cord. So, it doesn't matter which side the power box is on either. We love that door. It's got us really spoiled now.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:06 PM   #16
rws262
Established Member

M.O.C. #27069
Quote:
rws262, just curious? and definitely off topic. ... How do you like having that back door on the opposite side. We absolutely love ours. When parking at home, the back door faces the house. We had an awning installed over the back door. The back side becomes the front of the camper. At a campground, we use the real front door. And a couple times, we had a campsite (pull through), that was really confusing. We never did figure out which way was the correct way to pull in. It didn't matter, we choose one side to be our "front" and that was that! With the power cord hook up in the rear, it doesn't matter which side the power pole is either. I did buy a 25 foot 50 amp extension cord for those times when the power box is beyond reach of my regular cord. So, it doesn't matter which side the power box is on either. We love that door. It's got us really spoiled now.
Truthfully, we don't use it much when camping but it has been nice to have access to the back half when everything is slid in.

Edge CTSV2 Diesel Tuner
Old 12-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #17
Nard Dog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27687
Quote:
I like the back door mostly for another reason. Because the ladder on this thing sticks out so much and would block my driveway, I can use the other one and let the steps out on the grass. I think it was sort of required for this floor plan as that is the only way you can access the potty when slides are in.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:50 PM   #18
Nard Dog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27687
Okay rws262, my front hitch is installed. 180 bucks from etrailer.com and two hours. It’s a one man job with regular tools and I’m ready to go.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:09 PM   #19
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
I had a front-mounted hitch on my last truck it worked fine and was never in the way of anything. The only issue is the only way to secure anything is to the front of the vehicle.

I now have a ladder mounted bike rack and it works fine. My issue with a rear hitch is that it reduces the rear clearance so steep driveways or some parking lot entrances will probably scrape.
tomJerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:10 PM   #20
Mccown445

M.O.C. #23178
I have a 72" curt hitch for sale that I bought from etrailer. Would of had to weld it on or remove fresh water tank to bolt it on. Ended up taking to local shop and had them weld one on. I want to pull side by side behind 5th wheel. It has a 5,000 lb towing capacity instead of the 3,000. Anyway if interested I'll give you a good deal on the curt.
Mccown445 is offline   Reply With Quote