Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #21
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I took a bath on my first SRW when I got tired of the white knuckles. Kept that dually for 10 years through 2 5'ers and 2 truck campers and as a daily driver. I just traded her in for a 2015 F-450 which I expect to last through another few RVs. Things have sure changed since 05 when I bought the Ram Dually. What a difference a decade makes. This truck pulls and stops circles around the old Ram which still had many years left on the 5.9 Cummins.

Tom S. if you are ever in Norco CA take a trip to the auto wash on 2nd and Limonite. The only car wash I've found that you can run a Dually through.

davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #22
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I keep hearing the wind and stability thing. But I have towed mine thru high Texas panhandle crosswinds among other places many times with my SRW and have barely noticed the winds. When we have made a rest stop and got out of the truck I have been surprised at how hard the winds were blowing, having felt hardly anything while driving. Likewise stability on winding mountain roads has never been a problem. Maybe something about my setup is unusual.

As long as the weights are right for an SRW, that is what I will drive. But I am not a full timer. I drive the truck around 10-15 days a year with the trailer behind. That means I drive the truck 350-355 days a year without the trailer. There are places it is hard enough to maneuver the CC LB SRW without having to fight a DRW. There are drive thrus I can barely get thru without scrubbing a curb. Even my bank drive thru I fold my mirrors first because it is so close, 2-3" clearance each side with mirrors out.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #23
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I bought two tow vehicles. Yes, the first one was almost big enough, for RV I had purchased. Then after reading everything I could, ( trying to justify my first purchase) I sold that rig and bought my first Dually. Yes the brakes, the GVWR and all the data suggested I needed more truck. Bought my Montana with no worries. On my second Dually. My experience is they don't cost anymore to operate or own. Two more tires every 30-40k miles. The rest is pretty much the same. Now my 2014 is getting 12-14 mpg all the time. I am comfortable and happy and feel safe. Yes I have people say, " that's a big truck" I say thank you it's got a big job! Oh btw when not towing, people ask " why you need a big truck", my favorite answer ? "I own a large marshmallow ranch"!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #24
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Agree with much that's already been said. I found a low mileage long bed 4wd diesel dually at a good price and have been extremely happy that I went with it, but it is difficult to find parking at times. We just finished 6,600 miles in nine weeks towing and sightseeing, and never could have done it so easily without any part of it. There were a half dozen times I put it into 4wd because of gravel and/or sand and the stability made even Interstate travel much easier.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:27 AM   #25
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

I keep hearing the wind and stability thing. But I have towed mine thru high Texas panhandle crosswinds among other places many times with my SRW and have barely noticed the winds. When we have made a rest stop and got out of the truck I have been surprised at how hard the winds were blowing, having felt hardly anything while driving. Likewise stability on winding mountain roads has never been a problem. Maybe something about my setup is unusual.

As long as the weights are right for an SRW, that is what I will drive. But I am not a full timer. I drive the truck around 10-15 days a year with the trailer behind. That means I drive the truck 350-355 days a year without the trailer. There are places it is hard enough to maneuver the CC LB SRW without having to fight a DRW. There are drive thrus I can barely get thru without scrubbing a curb. Even my bank drive thru I fold my mirrors first because it is so close, 2-3" clearance each side with mirrors out.
We have pulled (full time) two different Montana's with our SRW. The only options, or aftermarket add-ons I have is the larger GVWR package, air bags, and higher rated truck tires. We have pulled in some horrific cross winds out west and never had an issue. There have been some times that I ran a little more air into the bags which seems to add a little more stability, but I have never been "white knuckled" for any reason with my SRW.

That being said, I am at my maximum limit and have to constantly monitor my actual weights.

If someday I get a different fiver and have to go to a dually I will. But until that day I am resisting it because of all the issues already talked about when not towing. There are restaurants in Florida we went to last year that you would have had to park a dually 1/2 of a mile away, it was bad enough with the SRW 1-ton.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:09 AM   #26
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

We had no problems in high crosswinds through Texas, Arizona, New Mexico with our 2004 Ram SRW. The 2014 SRW is much more capable. If we had any concerns before, they have certainly vanished with the new platform.
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:36 AM   #27
Ricpin

M.O.C. #15889
I've read about an exhaust brake. Don't know anything about them or how they work. Do all of the big 3 have it or not? Is it something I should look for when I'm ready to buy my TV. Thanks
Ricpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #28
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ricpin

I've read about an exhaust brake. Don't know anything about them or how they work. Do all of the big 3 have it or not? Is it something I should look for when I'm ready to buy my TV. Thanks
I can't speak for Dodge/Ram, but both Ford and GM/Chevy have a brake that works off of changing the vanes in the turbo to act as an exhaust brake. It's not a true exhaust brake, which controls valve timing, but it is still very effective, especially when used in conjunction with the tow mode of the automatic transmission.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #29
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I have pulled with both DWR and SWR trucks and have seen no difference in control or wind problems. If your pin weight is pushing the weight rating on you rear wheels then you need to go to a DWR.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #30
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:

I can't speak for Dodge/Ram, but both Ford and GM/Chevy have a brake that works off of changing the vanes in the turbo to act as an exhaust brake. It's not a true exhaust brake, which controls valve timing, but it is still very effective, especially when used in conjunction with the tow mode of the automatic transmission.
Yes our 2014 Ram uses the variable geometry vanes in the turbo to apply exhaust braking. Quite effective. We use it even when not towing. Supposed to greatly extend the life of the service brakes since the E-Brake slows the vehicle when the throttle is released. Down hills or slowing for a stop light. E-brake kicks out below 1100 RPM, then service brakes can be applied to bring the vehicle to a stop.

Dave
Old 12-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #31
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
I believe the chassis redesign on the Ram 2500/3500 took place on the 2013 MY. All capacities went up significantly. Back in July 2014, Ram Truck division announced that it will be the first OEM to adopt the SAE International J2807 towing standard.

Our 2014 Ram 3500 SRW short box automatic

GVWR 11,500
Tow capacity 17,500
Payload 4000

GCVWR 25,300
Front GAWR 5500
Rear GAWR 7000
Front base weight 4556
Rear base weight 2955

http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towi...wing.Specs.pdf

Old 12-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #32
Keywestparrothead

M.O.C. #11196
Hi Ricpin - congrats on the 3750FL. I have the same unit and although I pulled it, without issue all over the SE and thru the Smokies up to Northern IN for the last 4 years, with a 2008 F350 SRW Diesel. After multiple trips to the scales I was always in that 7-8% safety range of maxing out the capacities of the truck. I recently upgraded to the 2015 F450 DRW KR and haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face since :-) Oh and I now have a 45+% safety margin

DW talked me out of the F450 DRW in 07 when I got the SRW, and I always wondered if I would be missing something without the DRW... now I know :-) Happy Camping!
Keywestparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:15 AM   #33
Ricpin

M.O.C. #15889
Well I took everybodys advice and took all 3 trucks Dodge, Ford and GM for a test drive. And my wife decided she liked the ride of the GMC the best to me it made no difference which one. So we placed an order for a 3500 HD GMC. Now the wait hope it goes quick. Next we start looking for the 5th wheel. Can't wait. So thank you everyone for the advice.
Ricpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:05 AM   #34
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

Well I took everybodys advice and took all 3 trucks Dodge, Ford and GM for a test drive. And my wife decided she liked the ride of the GMC the best to me it made no difference which one. So we placed an order for a 3500 HD GMC. Now the wait hope it goes quick. Next we start looking for the 5th wheel. Can't wait. So thank you everyone for the advice.
Congrats on the new truck. What options did you get?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:28 AM   #35
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
don't over think it. if you get a one ton just do srw, is that simple enough?
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #36
Willy Bee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15919
My TV is a Dodge 2500 HD (Heavy Duty) So I have the 1 ton rear end I am not a dully. I didn't want to have the wide back end of 4 wheels to be a daily driver when we were not towing. My 310RET is just under 15,000 lbs so I have no problems with towing, stoping, turning, or backing up. I did replace my trans with a 12 speed so that helps a lot going up and down hills with my engine brake and trans i hardly use the brakes so its a great set up for me. You will need to do your homework I guess.
Willy Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:19 PM   #37
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
2nd the above, just get a one ton. i'd recommend a SRW however. lots of 3/4 tons out there too. don't get locked into the numbers, a one ton will do fine.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:26 AM   #38
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Willy Bee

My TV is a Dodge 2500 HD (Heavy Duty) So I have the 1 ton rear end I am not a dully. I didn't want to have the wide back end of 4 wheels to be a daily driver when we were not towing. My 310RET is just under 15,000 lbs so I have no problems with towing, stoping, turning, or backing up. I did replace my trans with a 12 speed so that helps a lot going up and down hills with my engine brake and trans i hardly use the brakes so its a great set up for me. You will need to do your homework I guess.
What is your max cargo capacity as noted on the Tire and Information sticker on the driver's door post?
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:50 AM   #39
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Doesn't matter what it says on the trailer wall or how it pulls or stops, it still must be weighed to know for sure if you're safe.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #40
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Agree, however that number on the Tire and Information sticker is a good place to start. It is to the nearest on pound and is different for each vehicle...that's why I asked the question.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote