Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
DougnDawn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13665
Few Items, looking for Suggestions

Hello again, I introduced us a while back in the introductions and now that our 3900 FB is placed in it's shed for the winter, after only three outings, I have been thinking of these 'situations' I had and how you savvy folks may solve them for me for next year.

1) The ceiling lights that come on when the entry door opens are great but when the Grand Kids stay a few times next year and they 'hit the hay' before us, has anyone thought of a way to bypass the switch so the light's don't come on and bother their shuteye?

2)Greatest thing since sliced bread is the 6 point auto leveling, but my concern is this, what if anything, do any of you do, after extending the landing gear, before you pull that hitch handle, to prevent the possibility of the coach from moving? Once I get the pickup moved and the auto leveling is complete, then I feel better. Chocks, blocks, anything other suggestions?

3)I was re-reading the "Moving to Montana Package" and read where there is a 'Hidden Safe", anyone know where it is in a 3900 FB or were they just spoof-en me?

4) This isn't a question but a suggestion and if the Montana (Keystone) engineers are reading this, the double vanities are great but the sinks are way to far under the cabinets, dang that hurts when I expel my toothpaste and hit my head! Sinks need to be out farther from the wall, maybe a little wider vanity top so sinks can be moved.

Thanks for lending me your ear and thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have for me on the other items.

DougnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Sent you a PM on the safe. Cut a piece of metal from aluminum can , make screw holes and secure over plunger to stop lights from coming on. Definitely use chocks preferably between tires both sides. Always before unhitching. I absolutely agree on the sinks. The sink in the 1/2 bath is even better. Love our 3900.
Welcome to the forum! Come to a rally!
Come on down south where we use ours all winter!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We don't have the same model, but all the same features. The door actuated switch for the inside lights is a good item, but you might need to get another switch next to the door installed to turn off that circuit. Not sure where the wires go from the switch, down or around the corner toward the panel.

We have been full timing for over as year and have yet to park in a space that was sloped that bad to worry about the trailer moving with the front jacks down. You could use either conventional chocks or some use the chock that tightens up between the tires,think it's called an x-chock.

The safe is not really a safe as such, but really just a lock box, and ours is under the end of the bed, lift up the plywood base and it is mounted at the foot end.

The second vanity will take a little getting used to, but it does stretch the back a little in the morning, and I have not hit my head in quite a while, and I'm 6-2. I do like the way the mirror is so close that I can see to shave without my glasses.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We carry some light weight plastic chocks just in case, but haven't used them in a year or two. Can't help with the lights, our rig is old enough we still have individual shutoffs on those ceiling lights.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I fixed the door lights by unhooking one of the wires from the switch & taping it back. Put an under $10 motion detecting battery light on the wall near the door that gives all the light we need at night and doesn't go on during the day - big box hardware store. We've a small locking 'safe' under the bed, but there's that lame hidden thing too. In ours it's very obvious and in the top part of the washer/dryer closet. Ditto what everyone else says on chocks.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #6
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I would not use chocks that go between the wheels, like the X-chocks. If you feel you have to, use chocks that lay on the ground next to the wheels. If you use the X-Chocks, sometimes the tires tighten or move the chocks during the raising and lowering of the RV and the X-Chocks may become wedged or raised under the skirting where you cannot release them. I experienced both situations.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:12 AM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Ditto the X-Chocks and Level-UP. Some of the time once leveled they will be so loose to be useless, but if you re-tighten them you BETTER remember to loosen them up before retracting the jacks. Been there done that with both our Montana and our SOB.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
My Opinion:
1. As Larry(Hook) stated a piece of metal that pivots on a flathead screw and holds the switch button down will work.
2. As others have stated above had to quit using our Rotochoks as Level Up would bind them between the tires. We started using the plastic orange chocks that I place on the ground between the tires.
3. Some of the packages do not include everything on the list if not preordered
4. It's about marketing, some of the builtins are made for appearance (form) verses function.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
johncamtravel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13192
Can someone send me a PM on where the safe is. I have yet to find mine
on my 3900FB??
And I also agree with the sinks in the bathroom being too close to the wall. Need to move them out.
johncamtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johncamtravel

Can someone send me a PM on where the safe is. I have yet to find mine
on my 3900FB??
And I also agree with the sinks in the bathroom being too close to the wall. Need to move them out.
Sent you a PM
Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
DougnDawn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13665
Thank You, each and everyone for the replies. I should have mentioned that I used Rotochoks on my SOB and when we got the Monty I ordered the larger blocks for it's larger spaced wheels and 'Yikes' when I put them in and leveled it, it was a quick learning curve. Anyway, returned them and been using a small set of plastic chocks ever since. So yes, as everyone stated, better safe than sorry. I was just wondering, wouldn't it be OK to pull the emergency plug and let the brakes lock, then after 'auto level' put it back in?

Hook, thanks for the PM, I'll have to check next spring as it's in winter storage and I pulled the battery. :- ( I think I'll try to put in another switch to by pass the lights when someone is sleeping.

Thanks again everyone for the ideas.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
My 3750 has indoor switch to turn the. "Auto light" feature on or off. Thought they all had this switch in control cabinet! Went out just now to double check

Last comment. We bought big rubber chocks for $10.00 at Tractor Store. Was told not to use other kinds of restrictive chocks. Also told not to use a hitch support tripod.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

My 3750 has indoor switch to turn the. "Auto light" feature on or off. Thought they all had this switch in control cabinet! Went out just now to double check

Last comment. We bought big rubber chocks for $10.00 at Tractor Store. Was told not to use other kinds of restrictive chocks. Also told not to use a hitch support tripod.
Is this switch labelled? Curious as to whether we have this capability on new rig, I don't think we had it on our 3750? We also use the heavy rubber chocks, but opted for the Harbor Freight el-cheapo model. They weigh about five pounds each, and I know they work well, because I usually have to move the rig slightly to get one of them out. Here is what we are using:

Harbor Freight El-Cheapo Rubber Wheel Chock

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #14
DougnDawn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13665
I think my switch is labeled 'interior lights' or maybe 'ceiling lights', it's a lighted rocker switch, when turned on it has a red light with the ceiling LED's on, when down red light off and ceiling lights are off but ceiling lights turn on and switch lights up red when the door opens via a plunger switch in the door frame. I really like the way it works when it's just the two of us! Thanks for the chock info. Artemus well probably answer the 3750 question. Later....
Old 12-04-2013, 04:33 AM   #15
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

Is this switch labelled? Curious as to whether we have this capability on new rig, I don't think we had it on our 3750? We also use the heavy rubber chocks, but opted for the Harbor Freight el-cheapo model. They weigh about five pounds each, and I know they work well, because I usually have to move the rig slightly to get one of them out. Here is what we are using:

Harbor Freight El-Cheapo Rubber Wheel Chock

Bingo
yes it's next to ceiling light on off switch on panel !
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #16
Jack and Gail
Established Member

M.O.C. #13938
We also have the 3900FB and love it, but totally agree about the sinks. I'm only 5'3" and have to be careful not to hit my head. We have plastic(?) chocks from CW...am I correct in reading that we should put them between the wheels after the front jacks come down but before we unhitch and level? The whole hitching and unhitching process always makes me a little nervous, maybe because we are still somewhat new at it.
Would someone also please let me know where the "safe" is? Thanks!
Jack and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #17
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jack and Gail

We also have the 3900FB and love it, but totally agree about the sinks. I'm only 5'3" and have to be careful not to hit my head. We have plastic(?) chocks from CW...am I correct in reading that we should put them between the wheels after the front jacks come down but before we unhitch and level? The whole hitching and unhitching process always makes me a little nervous, maybe because we are still somewhat new at it.
Would someone also please let me know where the "safe" is? Thanks!
Sent you a PM