Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #21
Papafish
Established Member

M.O.C. #13739
Has anyone tried putting an extra king sized mattress pad on top of bed and hauling the bikes there. Once you arrive, move them outside and lock em up. Steve

Papafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #22
rafael33155
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13290
Send a message via MSN to rafael33155
I called keystone Montana and ask them could i put a hitch on the back of my 2013 3100rl and they told me it would void the warranty might want to check first before installing one
rafael33155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #23
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Phone conversations on important matters like this scare me. It will always end up "he said / she said."

Instead I would recommend sending an old fashioned letter, awaiting the reply, and then being 100% sure if the "you-know-what hits the fan."

I would suggest there would be a great deal of difficulty with a blanket voiding of a warranty by bolting a bike carrier to the rear bumper.

Some other observations:

It would seem that someone crashing into the bumper and doing a considerable amount of damage wouldn't void a warranty,, yet that hypothetical damage would be much more detrimental than a bolt-on bike rack. A point to ponder

Put a bike on the rear bumper and something breaks inside the Montana, Keystone would be hard pressed to prove that these things are related.

And lastly, but not least, I don't remember reading this "void the warranty" clause in the paperwork I received. Did I miss something?
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #24
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I haven't taken measurements for the headlights being blocked, but I'm still leaning towards a front mounted receiver and the bike carrier fastened to that. I might have to remove the wheels but that's easy enough for me. Then in my state, I'll have to find a way to mount the front license plate, so I don't get a ticket when driving through Goodyear, AZ (old story, ask Ozz about it).

I have carried the bikes behind the hitch, in the truck bed, but nowadays, we carry so much other stuff there, the bicycles stay home.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #25
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
When I went on my long trip this summer, I was able to remove the front wheels from my daughter and her friend's bikes and put them in the bed sideways up by the cab. With a longbed, you can do it, not sure about a shortbed. Debbie's and my bikes went on the roof as usual.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote