Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2011, 05:15 AM   #1
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Getting ready to order!! Need ideas...

We are FINALLY getting ready to order our 3455SA Montana!!!!!!
Thanks to the MOC I have the PDI's and some ideas about what to watch for before handing over the dough, but -

Would any of you like to share any specific ideas about what we should ask the dealer to do, without our being "overboard" with our requests?

I'm planning on asking them to have water and electric hooked up for the PDI so we can look for "operational" problems, but any other ideas would sure be appreciated, especially from you folks who have "been there, done that, and lost your shirt" - .

I guess we are unsure what type of things would be acceptable to ask them to do and see and what things would be unacceptably outside the norm.

Let us know what you would do, OK? (Other than me taking my .357 with me, in plain sight. )

Larry

Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Larry,
The first and foremost thing that I did was to immediately negotiate a deal to get the Mara-bombs off of the rig and replaced with an actual "Made in U.S.A" tire. P.M. me if you want specifics of what I worked out.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:30 AM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Larry, don't be afraid to ask for the second air also, we had to have it installed later and it is not as cheap.
Do as Bingo suggests on the tires.
When it arrives, go by the PDI offered here and I think it pretty well covers the delivery. Just make sure the dealer shows you how everything works and how to shut everything off.
Good luck and I personally think you made a good choice on models!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
I agree with Bingo about the tire issue, we replaced ours with G614's. When we scaled our rig I was shocked at just how much heavier the drivers side was 6072 lbs. as compared to the passenger side at just 55192 lbs. One may think they are getting good tires with that Goodyear name on them (we did) but you will find out they are China made.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I would ask for the second air, also. We got the unit at cost and installation was free when we purchased our coach. We also added added screens for the furnance and water heater with free installation. Finally, we had screen door protectors installed for free on both doors.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:17 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Reading the above posts also reminded me of something that we have always done on the last three camper purchases. After negotiating the price and before signing, I always just happened to mention, "Oh, by the way, every other camper I bought came with a merchandise coupon for the add-ons that I know I am going to need." Each time, I got $500 in merchandise and then they usually provided a discount for a period of time for additional items. Keep in mind $500 worth of stuff to us at their costs probably only totals around $200. Bottom line, don't be hesitant in asking for anything you can think of, all they can do is say no, and you may be pleasantly surprised at the results!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:24 AM   #7
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
I would go for slide toppers,wish I would have.
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:26 AM   #8
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
One other thought, we found the 3 steps on the 3455 too high off the ground and replaced them with a 4 step. Cost was about $200 for the parts. Made a big difference.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Larry,
Often the dealer will include a "get started kit" with the rig. This consists of a short sewer hose, a fresh water hose with or without a filter. These are, of course, "MUST" have items. Typically they will also include at least one battery and sometimes two. These are also must have items.

Often the dealer will have a place to hookup the rig to show how all the systems work. If they don't have an onsite setup then often they will have a commercial place nearby that works with them. I'd want them to provide about a 2 or 3 day stay at a local park so you can troubleshoot all your systems.

One thing some folks have reported that works really well is to video tape the dealer walk thru process. That way you can always refer back to it if questions arise. I really think the manufacturer should make this a requirement. Either have the dealer do it or they could supply it direct from the maker of the rig. But at the least I'd do one myself. Of course we did not do this! Fortunately we had some friends who were "old hands" at this process and took us under their wings. Saved us untold hours of frustrations and no telling how much $$$$.

Good luck and enjoy that new rig. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
Ask the dealer to show you where the pull handle is for the galley grey water tank.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #11
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I like our slide toppers as well.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
Dixiedawg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9927
Larry, We ordered our previous Mountaineer and our current Montana with double pane windows and have not regretted it. It is easier to cool in hot weather and easier to heat when it is a bit nippy outside. It is quieter inside and you will have no condensation when it is humid. The down side is you will be adding some weight. It is exciting ordering a new Montana and we wish all the best. Cheers, Dean & Mel
Dixiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
Try to stay close to the dealer for a couple of days. We had electrical problems and found several cosmetic problems that the dealer promptly fixed for us. Made it a lot easier than driving back the 1500 miles to get the problems addressed. Very happy with our rig!
restez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Excellent suggestions! I suggest you include 2 six volt batteries into the deal. It really makes a difference!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #15
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
I also agree with the second a/c - and one that is ducted and connected to Zone 2 on the thermostat, not just a "roof" unit. I have also had them include a hitch on previous 5ers. The tires are a reasonable request too. May not get all 3, but if you get 2 of 3 you'll be doing well.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We got the slide toppers and the hitch for the TV with ours. I second the motion about all the pull handles for the dump valves. Many post on here asking why their sink wasn't draining.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Larry, I see nothing wrong with asking for the moon, however, you need to be ready to compromise. I would not compromise on the tires. This should be an absolute requirement to remove the Chinese duds they put on them. Maybe someday Keystone will get the picture. When we picked ours up we stayed at a nearby Fam Camp for a two week breakin. We did sucha good job that I broke the awning and had to have an arm replaced, (my fault, my cost). Give plenty of time to check things out and make a return appointment with the dealer ASAP to remedy things. If your camping style is boondocking, then an extra battery would be nice, or dual 6 volts. We don't boondock so this was not a problem for us. We have had to replace the 12 volt once in the 4 years we have had ours.......As someone else stated, it is easier, and usually cheaper, to have additions made at the factory as opposed to a dealer somewhere down the line. Be sure ALL electronics work as they should......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:07 AM   #18
Trabuco

M.O.C. #10888
Interesting topic about tires on the Montys. Stopped by our local Montana dealer and saw that they had Goodyears on them. Looking a little closer at the tire I noticed they were made in "China". I had no idea Goodyear made tires in China.

Based on this site and others talking about tire issues U.S. tires will be part of the deal when I make it later this year.
Trabuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #19
Tom_Holsinger
Established Member

M.O.C. #10492
I recommend one addition to your pre-delivery inspection. Open ALL the access panels to check on the wiring to see if there are any splices from mistakes made during construction. Some manufacturers also have periodic problems with workers stuffing sawdust where they shouldn't to avoid the work of removing it from an RV under construction, and behind access panels is one of the usual places where they hide it. I recall a post about a new Crossroads Cruiser where there was so much sawdust behind the access panels that the dealer had to use a shop vac to get it out.

If you find any splices in the wiring, consider hiring an electrician to verify that those are done correctly. If a lot of splices turn up, the dealer should pay for the electrician's inspection.
Tom_Holsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #20
4papa
Established Member

M.O.C. #10050
We have the 3455SA with dark Cronin Counter tops. They show every little scratch. Other than that we love our unit.
4Papa
4papa is offline   Reply With Quote