Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
Battery Charge Question

This is probably a stupid question but, should the battery disconnect in the convenience panel be on or off to charge the battery? I know when you turn it off it shuts off the power to the 2 gas/smoke detectors and the lights too, but not the slides or jacks, but if I wanted to charge the battery should it be off? or on?

dmaxmountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You have asked a good question with a complex answer. I guess I would ask why you are charging the battery. If you are using the trailer then I say with the switch on. If you are charging for storage then off since the detectors would continue to draw down the battery. I actually removed my battery when I winterized it for 11 months.
Hope this helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
Well the only time i use the trailer without power (generator or shore power) is when i just need to walk in and get something in the dark, or like today i had new sheets put in and investigated a water leak. I didn't feel like running a cord or pulling out the generator so i just used the battery power. Would the battery still charge if the disconnect is off?

On a side note, have any of you ever noticed a leak if your trailer is un-level? Mine was parked on a street (i guess their naturally sloped from one side to another) and i noticed a leak in the bedroom. I'm not talking a slope where its going to tip over, but i guess enough to leak. All the slides were in, but water was dripping on the bottum of the bedroom slide and leaked into the carpet. It wasn't a steady drip, but i knew it was comming in somewhere. I put one of the landing legs a little longer on the curb side to level out the trailer and it seems to have stopped it... i think.. What i noticed outside is the gutter spout is right over the bedroom slide and maybe the slight angle of the trailer caused the leak. Has anyone expierenced any of this? Or am i the oddball?
dmaxmountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
You are not the oddball. When parked in my driveway I have to raise the curb side of the trailer 5 inches to make the unit level. I have a ramp made from a 6X6 that makes this very easy. Well I got back in town with the trailer Sunday afternoon and decided since I was only going to clean it up Monday and take it back to storage there would be no need to get the ramp out. Well, don't you know it rained Sunday night and Monday morning I had a wet carpet in the bedroom. Used a box fan to dry the carpet. Think I'll be using the ramp from now on.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
timdenchanter
Established Member

M.O.C. #9772
We used to leave the battery in the trailer while it was in storage and kept the shore power connected so the battery would stay charged. That battery was overcharged and ruined. We now remove the battery after each trip and keep it at home connected to a BatteryMINDer Plus from CW.
timdenchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by timdenchanter

...We now remove the battery after each trip and keep it at home connected to a BatteryMINDer Plus from CW.
Get an IQ4 plug-in for your IOTA converter and you will never destroy another battery by leaving it plugged in. It upgrades the converter to a 4 stage smart charger just like your BatteryMINDER. Plus you don't have to hassle with removing the batteries every time you store the RV.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:13 AM   #7
countrylady
Established Member

M.O.C. #9820
Send a message via Yahoo to countrylady
Carl, not meaning to change the subject here...but where was this beautiful picture of the mountain/lake area taken? Extremely breathtaking!!!
countrylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by timdenchanter

...We now remove the battery after each trip and keep it at home connected to a BatteryMINDer Plus from CW.
Get an IQ4 plug-in for your IOTA converter and you will never destroy another battery by leaving it plugged in. It upgrades the converter to a 4 stage smart charger just like your BatteryMINDER. Plus you don't have to hassle with removing the batteries every time you store the RV.
Agree...best $25 you'll ever spend.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by countrylady

Carl, not meaning to change the subject here...but where was this beautiful picture of the mountain/lake area taken? Extremely breathtaking!!!
The picture was taken on Hwy-542 (the Mt. Baker highway) in northern WA. Near the end of the road is a popular photo opp location. Lots of camera geeks sit there for hours waiting for just the right light, clouds, reflection, etc. The mountain is Mt. Shuksan and I believe the lake is named Mirror Pond.

But to stay on topic - do a search here on the IQ4 for further recommendations.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote