Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Crunch ........

This afternoon sitting watching GB show heard that horrible sound and have heard it before. A Everest 5th wheel fell on the bedrails of a Ford F-350. More damage to the Ford than the Everest. But its sad they are here to trade in on a Motor Home. GBY....

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

This afternoon sitting watching GB show heard that horrible sound and have heard it before. A Everest 5th wheel fell on the bedrails of a Ford F-350. More damage to the Ford than the Everest. But its sad they are here to trade in on a Motor Home. GBY....
I'd be sick to my stomic. too bad for him.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Glad I've got the ole Bedsaver to come to my rescue. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FLSTS03

Glad I've got the ole Bedsaver to come to my rescue. Steve
Me too, I feel this was the the best one time Insurance Payment I have made.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Ditto. It's on the hitch and I hope we never have to put it to use but it feels good knowing it's there.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:35 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
One of these years, this forum is going to sway me on this purchase. In the meantime, I will have to rely on my ever-aware, totally cognizant, inane trouble-spotting sense of enhanced deductiveness to avoid these situations. Hmmmm, further thought and recollection of past stupid mistakes is hinting that maybe this purchase ought to be accelerated???
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Since I don't have a bed saver I'm a bit extra cautious since I know if I screw up the Montana will be sitting on the sides of the truck.

Besides, having a bed saver is cheating...be like a pilot with retractable landing gear leaving the gear down all the time so he'd be sure they were down.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:50 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Besides, having a bed saver is cheating...be like a pilot with retractable landing gear leaving the gear down all the time so he'd be sure they were down.
hahahaha - thats why I had a fixed gear Cessna - should of found one with fixed flaps!

There is no end to the safegaurds you can buy so I drew the line and didn't buy any. I have the RV type that runs HIGH risk of hitting the cab when I turn, or falling on the bed of the truck. What did I do the first week...........I HIT THE STORAGE BUILDING with the tail.

I suppose I should have ran out and bought rear view cameras for the back and sides, but I just have a feeling it will never happen again.

now let me go find a piece of wood to knock on!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have not made a serious mistake since 1967 wen I tried to drive a Government vehicle through a college crowd protesting the war..They thought I was a recruiter. That was a tough accident report to fill out. Every misfortune I have experienced has , in every case, been someone Else's fault..not mine...no sir. However Helen says that is a bunch of crap and I had better have every preventative device known to man installed anywhere I may be near. So it is her fault I have all those devices..not mine....no sir...

Brad..Had a co-worker land a Club Cessna 172 in a field about 200 yards short of the runway. When asked why he did that he replied that he had
run out of altitude and information simultaneously...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Brad..Had a co-worker land a Club Cessna 172 in a field about 200 yards short of the runway. When asked why he did that he replied that he had
run out of altitude and information simultaneously...
To the "altitude, information"...add "airspeed and ideas."
Old 02-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Brad..Had a co-worker land a Club Cessna 172 in a field about 200 yards short of the runway. When asked why he did that he replied that he had run out of altitude and information simultaneously...
hahhahaha - I like that answer.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wish they made a Prop-Saver
Old 02-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Yes Brad they do, It's called rotary wing!

Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #14
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
On Topic I have a Reese Signature hitch and they don't make a bed-saver for it as yet. SO -- I am very careful when I hook up and unhook but, as in aviation, I do believe the old adage, there are those that have done XXXYYY and the rest are just waiting to do it.

Off-topic: Had a student and instructor do an aileron roll into the grass just off the runway (wake turbulence from a 727 that landed immediately before them). Fortunately, They both survived but the answer given as to why was -- "I know how to land straight, I've not been shown how to land upside down yet. I think that is just before I solo!!" (1970 - Albuquerque airport, runway 35).
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #15
goin2themountains
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9063
If they were there to trade in, I wonder what happened. Never had it hooked solid from their home? Unhooked and rehooked at the dealer?

One more off topic: 3 or 4 years ago, someone ended up short of the Farmington runway here, and landed on top of the police dept.
goin2themountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #16
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by skypilot

Off-topic: Had a student and instructor do an aileron roll into the grass just off the runway (wake turbulence from a 727 that landed immediately before them). Fortunately, They both survived but the answer given as to why was -- "I know how to land straight, I've not been shown how to land upside down yet. I think that is just before I solo!!" (1970 - Albuquerque airport, runway 35).
That's why the tower says "Caution, wake turbulence from landing 727." Translation...know whether to land before or after the larger aircraft's touchdown point and you'll be fine.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
From what I've watched leaving out of Kirtland AFB (shares runways with ABQ), A 727 is a small plane
Old 02-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by skypilot

That's why the tower says "Caution, wake turbulence from landing 727." Translation...know whether to land before or after the larger aircraft's touchdown point and you'll be fine.
Stay high and land long!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:09 AM   #19
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I guess you could say that there are two types of "Bed rail droppers." Those who have, and those who will.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:35 AM   #20
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
My Instructor always said - stay above the path of the jet and touch down further down the runway than it did!! Had the tower there in Albuquerque direct a go-around several times because I refused to land 'short' to avoid crossing an intersecting runway. Brad alluded to it some in his post but there were some interesting times with pilots landing and being in the traffic pattern with much heavier (and faster) Air Force as well as civilian aircraft. (Man I do miss flying some days...) Regardless, sorry for the off-topic posts but as said by Waynem above, there are those that have, and those who will.

Come on Blue Ox - design a bed saver for the Signature Series!! (Thought I had seen one advertised a few months ago but don't find it now!!).
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote