Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2007, 03:44 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Tell me about your GPS unit

We are thinking about buying a GPS unit. Our question relates to our desire to use it for a little geocaching as well as car navigation. Are there units that will work for both? Seems like you need something handheld for geocaching and something that will attach to the dash and plug in for navigation. Thanks for any info.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:01 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Now that I got educated on Geocaching.

I use the Nuvi for portability. It is excellent for vehicle navigation, and operates on rechargeable batteries for portable use. It has a walk mode that I have used for hiking. It will accept downloaded waypoints, (grand canyon hiking tour, etc.) and I can create a waypoint. Not sure if I can upload a waypoint.

Not saying it will do all you ask, but worth looking into. Only disadvantage is when the batteries die, no alkaline replacements can be used out on the trail.

We have a much more sophisticated Garmin in the boat that can take direct input of a waypoint, but it is the size of a brick.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:53 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Hi Judy,

We have been doing a little geocacheing here in the RGV, and last night we went to the local group's meeting. Our impression is that if you have really deep pockets, you might get one that does both, but I think you would probably be better to get a more modestly priced hand held for Geocacheing and a dedicated one for traveling. For traveling, I still think that Streets and Trips on a laptop, (since we know that you travel with your laptop) is the best dollar value. We are still not sure about a specific hand-held althogh Garmin and Magellan both seem to have good models available. Look for one that will allow you to connect to your lap top to download waypoints. If you have S&T or similar in your truck, you don't really need mapping on your hand-held, and that is what seems to make hand-helds costly.

Geocacheing seems to be a big hit with RVers. There are several here at BPV. At least one of them is also an MOC member, and I know that several other MOC members are also Geocachers.

Please keep us informed of your progress in selecting a GPS, and by the way, what is your Geocacheing "handle".

John & Donna (AKA RVseeker)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:17 AM   #4
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
For my GPS we use a Megellan Maridian Gold. For navigation I just plug the Maridian into the laptop and sink it with the program Street Atlas USA by Delorme. Since I already have the laptop and the GPS unit I figure I save big bucks using the 100 dollar program. Works great! I would not recomend getting the Delorme Program with the GPS head it doesn't work very well. But with the Maridian hooked to it I didn't loose any reception at all. I believe that you can pick up just the program for around 79 bucks then the adaptor cable for the GPS to hook it to the USB port. Actually using existing things I already have isntead of ending up with a bunch more wieght to haul around.

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:24 AM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Judy, we use a Garmin 60cs hand held, you can use it also for car navigation but the screen is small. Garmin does make other units that do have larger screens and are able to be hand held and mounted in the car. Check there web site www.garmin.com

bsmeaton, check out geocaching.com it is a lot of fun. I met a guy with over 13,000 finds, my brother has 1300 finds, I am only a newbie at 80 finds.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:27 AM   #6
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
How do you keep your laptop charged (charging) in the truck?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:33 AM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Mike and Debbie, I think most of us use a small inverter in the truck to plug the computer into. The one we use is 400 watts and doesn't take up any space.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:34 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for the info, guys. Doug, I was trying to remember what unit you had recommended. I've read good reviews on that model.

Brad, thanks for the pictures. I had not seen one mounted like that.

John, I can't believe we're going to need another handle! I'm going to have so many handles, I'll forget who I really am.

Tom, thanks for the idea of getting one that attaches to the laptop. As John revealed, we do travel with the laptop, so that is something that we will look for. As you all can tell, our knowledge of all of this is very limited so keep the tips coming.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:37 AM   #9
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
First let me say I have not started Geocacheing but it sound like fun. I do use GPS systems quite a bit, for hiking and for field surveys from a few acres to 1000's of acres as well as in my truck for navigation.

I use 2 different types of units, the Garmin NUVI in the truck, and either a Garmin etrex or the Garmin 60Csx in the field. The handheld held units allow for easy data entry and manipulation while in the Field. The NUVI is very easy to use in the truck and you can find locations in a few different ways such as by address input or selection from a menu. The handheld units are more adapt at using Lat/Long and UTM inputs as well as more refined location indications.

There are many other units out there that are just as good, I use Garmin because it is what I am use to. I have used Magellan units and they are very good too. My computer and laptop are setup for data entry using the Garmin, both upload and downloading waypoints.

If you were to use only one unit the Garmin NUVI would be a good choice. As Brad said in the walk mode it is very good for walking navigation but no replaceable batteries. I have not used the walk mode on mine very much but I will be trying it out in the future.

One thing to remember when using a GPS in the field is that it needs a clear view of the sky. When in your pocket it can loose its signal and in some areas it is hard to get satellite reception. The handheld units have a small external antenna. It is small 1" to 1 1/2" square, one of the people I worked with this summer actually had theirs attached to the top of their hat with Velcro.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 AM   #10
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
You can buy a power cord for your laptop that plugs into your cig lighter, you'll have less cords to fool with.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
John,

The Nuvi windshield mount has a charger lead built in so I was able to run all the charger wire in concealed spaces as shown. When in the truck, I just snap in the Nuvi and go, no cigarette lighter or hanging cords to deal with. (I did buy a spare charger for rental cars).

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:07 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Brad, that would be a benefit to us because our cigarette lighters are occupied by our XM radio, our inverter, and our router. It's getting crowded.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:19 AM   #13
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Delorme just came out with a hand held unit that looks promising.
If you are considering Magellan, you may call tech support first and see how dismal the service is (if they ever answer in one lifetime). I did make comment to them about that the last time I was folish enough to stay on the line for a person to talk to.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #14
W7PSK
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6833
Since I only use it mobile only I have the Delorme LT-20 USB GPS and their Street Atlas package that I got when I stopped at thier store in Yarmouth. It was only 99 dollars but I think if you just use it for travel nav its ideal and cost effective. Has voice call outs and reroute plus every inn, restaurant, business, RV parks and everything else current as of when you buy it.

I have a dodge and the Laptop sits on the bench between us and plugs in the power outlet.

Works well for me. Don't over look it cause of price and the fact you need a laptop. If you have one that is
I think you would be surprised.

W7PSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:48 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We already have a laptop with a Delorme GPS program on it so I'm thinking we only need a good handheld unit. I'd like something that would be updated via the computer. It could be a backup for when we don't take the laptop and we could use it for geocaching. Geocaching.com is an interesting site on the internet if you're wondering about this fast growing hobby which is perfect for RVers.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:50 AM   #16
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Most of the Garmin units have downloadable updates. The unit preloaded maps are not updated that regularly but their add on maps are better in the handheld units. It is usally the utilities and operating features. Check out their web site, www.garmin.com. I use their MapSource® United States TOPO which also allows me upload and download as well as databasing waypoints.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #17
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Forgot to mention Garmins Geocaching Web page. They give information on using their products and how to choose the right products for Geocaching. http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/geocaching/
Old 02-21-2007, 09:13 AM   #18
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
I have a Garmin 2750 that I use in the truck and a Garmin E Trex that I use on the trail. The Garmin 2750 has excellent graphics and has a power cord for both the truck and the house. It works with Mapsource software that I have loaded on my laptop. I plan my routing on the laptop and then can upload it to the Garmin. It also allows you to make your own way points and save favorite locations that you may want to go back to.

I can also upload waypoints from the same software to the Garmin E Trex and download routes that we have walked from the E Trex to the computer. This is nice because if we have walked a route we really liked I can save it on the computer and then reload it if we go back.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:38 PM   #19
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have a Garmin 2610 use it every day!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:57 PM   #20
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We went with the new DeLorme hand held with Topo maps. This fits with our Streets and Trips on our laptop very well. We did our first geo caching this weekend in Kerrville, Texas, and everything worked as described. We plan on more geo caching and look forward to meeting fellow MOC'ers interested in the same thing.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote