Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Valuable info on this forum...

My wife and I were talking and we both started to say the same thing at the same time: "We bought the forum and the Monty was thrown in".

In all seriousness, we have learned so much from this forum that I cannot begin to express our gratitude.

Yesterday, while in Bakersfield, California, in 100+ degree heat, I set up and all went well. As I was sweating into my eyes from the heat, I noticed a man about 80 years old whose Alumascape 5th wheel, parked next to us and not level (noticed when we drove by), just sorta looking at me. I thought I should approach him, and luckily I did.

We arrived about 4pm and they had pulled in about 2 hours earlier (remember the heat?). He just bought his 5er and this was their first trip. He couldn't remember how to set up - the salesman, after getting their check breezed through the procedures.

With a sheepish look on his face, he said "yes" to my offer of help. So, I set up his 5er as well. No one told him that most parks shut their power off at the breaker and he didn't know which plug to plug into. He had a 50 amp cord to a 30 amp adapter plugged in right next to a 50 amp receptacle. They had been sitting in the heat for 2 hours!

Got their power on, then went to try to turn on their A/C - but, the batteries in the remotes were dead. Turned on the A/C units using emergency A/C override and then went to look for batteries for the folks.

He had the water hooked up, but had the valves on the Alumascape (wierd deal, here)turned the wrong way. So, he was filling his holding tank. As I was putting down his front and rear jacks (he was still hooked to his truck, a 2500HD pulling 16,950 GVWR trailer), I noticed that water was pouring out from underneath the 5er. Turned off the water, got their owner's manual out and figured out how to turn the valves properly. Now we had water going to the right place (city water).

Showed him how to turn on his water heater (electric) and warned him about turning it on with out water in the tank.

He had no blocks, no chalks, no end cap for his sewer connection (the red ones that go into the sewer, but also have an inlet for just a regular garden hose). He had no back up bottled water, didn't know how to dump, etc. etc.

Suggested he go just down the road to CW in Bakersfield and made him a list of everything I learned from this forum to purchase. Also printed out one of the excellent checklists on this forum and suggested he use it as a starting point.

After about an hour with him, I was ready to pass out from the heat. I normally can do our unhook and connect in about 15 mins, then it's in the 5er for a cocktail and A/C!

His wife came out a while later, knocked on our door and told my wife and I that if we had not helped them, she thinks they might have literally died from the heat.

The guy in the space next to them saw us at one point, but did the "I see nothing" routine from Sgt. Shulz (you know, the TV show, "Stalag 13").

Anyway, because of this forum I felt confident enough after just 5 trips, to lend a hand.

THANK YOU, EVERYONE!

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

The guy in the space next to them saw us at one point, but did the "I see nothing" routine from Sgt. Shulz (you know, the TV show, "Stalag 13").
Michael,

I think that was Hogan's Hero's.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
kwbosch - yup, you're right. I MUST be getting old!
Old 06-19-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Michael, Ya did good Bro!!!!!! give yourself a great big pat on the back and a humble thank you to the big guy upstairs.

Feels good to help doesn't it. I had a massive heart attack in 94, and was told that I get one more chance. I was also told that night that to help my fellow man was the one greatest thing on this earth that one can do.Been trying to live like that since
It works!!!!
Again, congratualtions and thank you.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rick, more people need to get that message - but not that way. Michael, your reward is set...

I agree 100% that this forum is seriously invaluable in the literal sense. You couldn't pay enough to get this kind of incredible help from anywhere.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:21 PM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Wish there were more people like you out there.....world would be a better place.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:01 PM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Mike -

I am glad you were there to help. That's the principle the Good Sam club was founded on. I am sure those folks were mighty greatful. The Montana forum is a tremendous resource. I think that there are many similarities between Montana owners. I know when I have a question about TV or unit that someone is here with an answer. Keep up the good work.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
That's COOL Mike did you invite him over to the MOC? See-Ya
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:17 PM   #9
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
If we ever have trouble I hope we are as fortunate as the people you helped! "Do unto others.........."
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:24 PM   #10
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
rickety,

I, too had a heart attack a couple of years ago, then had a stroke, so my attitude about things has really mellowed. Thanks for the kudos, but that was not the reason for this post - just to reiterate that the folks on this forum are soooo helpful!

rames14,

I, too, believe that Montana owners are truly helpful. I know that when we are traveling that we are always looking for another Montana - just so we might sit down and chat over a cocktail!

Old 06-19-2006, 05:03 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Michael - a high five to you. The first time we had our first 5th wheel out there was an elderly gentleman across from us there to help us (we didn't have the right sewer hook ups). He continued all weekend to give us advice and check on us. We might have given up had it not been for him. We've tried to return his kindness whenever we can. As a survivor of a heart attack also it is amazing how a scare like that changes your outlook on life in general.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:13 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You done good Mike..This forum can provide so much information on many and varied subjects..Again..we learn by sharing..we need to continue to share..everything.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #13
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
snfexpress,
Michael you folks did great. Thank you.
YOU are the reason the MOC is so great. Without you and all the others here on the Montana Owners Club we would be just another RV internet forum.
Your attitude and helpfulness make us all proud to be members of MOC.

RVWheels / Admin MOC
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:45 PM   #14
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Kudos to Mike! You did an excellent job sharing your knowledge with someone who, if you wouldn't have been there probably would have hated camping and sold the trailer after a few more trips like what he had before you came along. Thus giving up on the wonderful pastime we all love. Instead you taught him a valuable lesson and things he will no doubt share with others someday. That's part of camping, learning what others do to make there campers more livable and easier to set up.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:11 PM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Michael,
I am so sorry we weren't home to meet you. What park did you end up staying in? Of course I do not miss those 100 degree days! Please come back and visit us someday when it's not quiet so warm. Remember we have a place to hook up (50 amp) including water and even sewer if needed.

Thank you for helping your neighbor in need. You make us all look good by your actions. And I agree completely with your assessment of the MOC. There is a world of knowledge to be shared with a wonderful group of people.

Keep spreading the word and may you have many happy experiences RVing.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:08 AM   #16
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
WAY TO GO!!!
I agree about MOC, the forum and the members are fantastic. Really good people with a great outlook on life and always willing to lend a helping hand.

At the spring rally a neighbor with a new (first outing) trailer was not sure how to extend his awning. He came over to Steve (Reigle) and I and asked if we could help. We went over and Steve explained the operation of the awning and that led to some other common problem issues which the guy was unaware of. When we finished and started to leave I gave him my MOC card in case he had any more questions later. He read my wife's name and it turns out he works with Barbara's son. Small world indeed.

BTW, Didn't that cocktail have a much better taste after helping those people?
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:29 AM   #17
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Way to go Mike. It's people like you and the others here that make me proud to be part of the MOC family.
Rick
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:44 AM   #18
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Atta Boy Mike. You done great. We are all proud to know ya and have you as a member. It's folks like you that make RVing fun.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:17 AM   #19
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Michael, you sure saved those folks from a miserable situation, and it's all about people helping people. This forum is a valuable resource and you proved that 110%. I also agree that people like you and the willingness of MOC members to share information and help others sets MOC apart from other forums. Continued safe travels.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:52 AM   #20
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Okay, I'm crying now! Happy tears are the best!

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote